Been browsing the forums for a while, finally joined. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got a left-hand drive 85 pickup with 263xxxkms on a factory 2LT under the hood. Its got a log box, high-steer w/ ifs steering box, no intercooler (yet), 3-in exhaust, 35s, volvo 5-cyl turbo (6psi) w/ a custom manifold (including special "back off" bolts that are impossible to reach) oh and rust....obviously
Feel free to send me any pointers, im always learning, or just talk about truck stuff, hoping to hit some trails soon too!
image3.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Looks like you have to run efans with that set up. How's that motor for power?

I like the way your rear shocks are mounted. Think you could show a few more close up pics? Thanks!

Looks like you have to run efans with that set up. How's that motor for power?
i do run a single efan, most of this truck is how i bought it, im looking into an actuator for the fan so i dont have to remember to turn it on. Ive had the injector pump rebuilt and the shaft responsible for throttle response was never replaced as it was hard to acquire at the time. As far as power goes, it sure feels like its going faster than it ever really is. Its not as slow as i imagine it to be without a turbo but i also feel like with a bit more boost i could have some nice power and/or a cracked head

Last edited:
I like the way your rear shocks are mounted. Think you could show a few more close up pics? Thanks!
I will get more tommorow! i bought the truck with its current suspension setup, i was under the impression having them mounted towards the middle of the truck was better for flex, but remounting the shocks isnt at the top of my list yet haha

Thanks! Are these the stock locations? Having shocks mounted this way is the best for ride in my opinion. Just gotta make sure that your collapsed and extended length are within your rigs ability. My next project for my truck is going to be the rear shocks. I’m going to do something similar to yours.

Thanks! Are these the stock locations? Having shocks mounted this way is the best for ride in my opinion. Just gotta make sure that your collapsed and extended length are within your rigs ability. My next project for my truck is going to be the rear shocks. I’m going to do something similar to yours.
Oh sweet! thats good to know! i dont think these are the stock locations, but i dont have any complaints as far as shocks are mounted. Id like to rebuild the bed and make more clearance for the back end in the future.

@2LT4LYFE welcome to 'Mud!

When you get a chance, post some pics of that bed. I'm in the minority around here when it comes to non-standard beds - I dig'em!

The shocks... As I understand it, the engineers put one in front and one behind the axle to (attempt to) minimize axle wrap. Which shock went in front is tied to which way the axle wraps under acceleration. But I agree with @Toast - it only makes sense that the ride would be better with both behind the axle. And, since 33s, 35s and lift springs are already well outside of the engineers ex"spec"tation (see what I did there), the axle wrap advantage is likely insignificant.

@2LT4LYFE welcome to 'Mud!

When you get a chance, post some pics of that bed. I'm in the minority around here when it comes to non-standard beds - I dig'em!

The shocks... As I understand it, the engineers put one in front and one behind the axle to (attempt to) minimize axle wrap. Which shock went in front is tied to which way the axle wraps under acceleration. But I agree with @Toast - it only makes sense that the ride would be better with both behind the axle. And, since 33s, 35s and lift springs are already well outside of the engineers ex"spec"tation (see what I did there), the axle wrap advantage is likely insignificant.
Thanks for the warm welcomes!! Yeah I believe that’s right with the shocks on each side of the axle, I’ve seen a lot of trucks stock with that design. Axle wrap is alive and well with the shocks the way they are now, but I think a lot of it comes from my shot springs in the rear. Haha so punny, I do see what you did there. I could never go back to the factory style beds, I’ve backed into a friends bumper so hard it jarred the mounts off my frame, but didn’t damage the log box. I’ll tag a picture of that from last year as well

053592E4-C199-474D-A44E-E59E410F6376.jpeg

E4E343D1-FB5B-45B1-A06E-FA5511D02DD3.jpeg

B5A1EB30-AD62-4819-9381-7559D745FDE4.jpeg

67E282A0-56B9-47A7-AA82-3080AB5DB43C.jpeg

Ive got a left-hand drive 85 pickup with 263xxxkms on a factory 2LT under the hood. Its got a log box, high-steer w/ ifs steering box, no intercooler (yet), 3-in exhaust, 35s, volvo 5-cyl turbo (6psi) w/ a custom manifold (including special "back off" bolts that are impossible to reach) oh and rust....obviously
Feel free to send me any pointers, im always learning, or just talk about truck stuff, hoping to hit some trails soon too!View attachment 2525897View attachment 2525899View attachment 2525902View attachment 2525903

731DDF42-9CE1-47F7-B25A-56960636F27F.jpeg

71D40FEB-2BAB-4BBF-BC82-B19F79A5153C.jpeg

Thanks for the warm welcomes!! Yeah I believe that’s right with the shocks on each side of the axle, I’ve seen a lot of trucks stock with that design. Axle wrap is alive and well with the shocks the way they are now, but I think a lot of it comes from my shot springs in the rear. Haha so punny, I do see what you did there. I could never go back to the factory style beds, I’ve backed into a friends bumper so hard it jarred the mounts off my frame, but didn’t damage the log box. I’ll tag a picture of that from last year as well

View attachment 2527312

View attachment 2527313

View attachment 2527314

View attachment 2527315
Axle wrap is minimized with the shocks in front of the axle because shocks are valved when compressed, and are allowed to extend quickly when dropping, such as into a pothole, but they push harder when hitting a bump (compressing).

In front of the axle, the shock is compressing during acceleration and will help offset axle wrap.
In the rear of the axle, the shock is extending during acceleration and it allows the axle wrap to occur, uninhibited.

Shocks should always be in front of the axle, but do what you like. GM used to place one in front and one in rear, but it showed later in life that it twisted the frame of the trucks.

Hey, these are 80's trucks - we should have four in front of the axle and four behind - chrome of course!

@2LT4LYFE - love the log box! I'm currently building a "tray back" (sounds cooler than flatbed) and using 1/8" plate for the sides and deck. Knocking on the sides is like knocking on the driveway. No worries about dragging it past a tree... well, for except for the tree.

Axle wrap is minimized with the shocks in front of the axle because shocks are valved when compressed, and are allowed to extend quickly when dropping, such as into a pothole, but they push harder when hitting a bump (compressing).

In front of the axle, the shock is compressing during acceleration and will help offset axle wrap.
In the rear of the axle, the shock is extending during acceleration and it allows the axle wrap to occur, uninhibited.

Shocks should always be in front of the axle, but do what you like. GM used to place one in front and one in rear, but it showed later in life that it twisted the frame of the trucks.
Thanks that makes sense!

Hey, these are 80's trucks - we should have four in front of the axle and four behind - chrome of course!

@2LT4LYFE - love the log box! I'm currently building a "tray back" (sounds cooler than flatbed) and using 1/8" plate for the sides and deck. Knocking on the sides is like knocking on the driveway. No worries about dragging it past a tree... well, for except for the tree.
That should be sweet! You should send some pictures!! I absolutely love it too, but she’s awfully rusty and will probably need to be rebuilt at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom