Riddle me this: Who puts a 17 year old vehicle in the shop for $3500 "worth" of repairs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not the same people who spend $10,000 making mods to a 20+-year-old vehicle. Oh no.

new radiator, t stat & hoses & coolant
timing belt and water pump
oil sensor gauge
valve cover gasket
front & rear diff oil changes

And I feel guilty cause I could do 1/3 of these myself and insure OEM parts from CDAN!!

Life is finite and short tho.....Thanks for MUD support!

I did not shop. I'm under the gun....

If you break it out, and I did, it is not over the top maybe 10-20% high. but cheaper than dealer. Did shop that.

What's the going rate for timing belt and water pump?

900 to 1,200?

Dude ...if that was $3500 for that work. Then by the same token, I put $25,000 of work into a $5000 LX with all the work and hours I've put into mine.

Damn that's a lot of money. I wouldn't put that much $ into my LX to be honest.

75.00 per hour shop time

I know it is sad. However, if i can make 150 per hour and trickle (firehose) down then I have to do it. I used to do all my work on my cruisers, including the front hubs on my 80 that took a weekend and a day....But i need this vehicle running such that I can earn a living. (Should have bought a hyundai soul) NOT....

:)

Dude ...if that was $3500 for that work. Then by the same token, I put $25,000 of work into a $5000 LX with all the work and hours I've put into mine.

Damn that's a lot of money. I wouldn't put that much $ into my LX to be honest.

why not?

900 to 1,200?
Depends on exactly what they're doing. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to shop 90k service on a 100 trying to find the cheapest rate. Lots of little stuff comes up during that job and you really don't want a shop skimping. The good shops will include much of that in the estimate. A normal shop will bill you for all the extra work. A bad shop will send you away at the original low estimate with a handful of worn items put right back on or ignored.

I quizzed the shop on the parts, etc.
I can live with the answers. This truck prolly goes to market in one year. She has been a good one but nothing like my iconic 80....

Johnny and Mark at Toyota Tech in Ft Mill, SC are highly recommended but they are 2.5 hrs away now.....adapt and overcome I suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom