Go Long! Any advice for a cross-country drive in the Hundy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're going to joshua tree, please do yourself the favor of driving the 25 minutes north to johnson valley and heading out on boone road to go visit the hammers.

I think you have it covered. I've driven cross country and all over the country, over 40 states so far, one trip over 11k in about a month. All far less prepared then you are lol. A tow service is nice to have.
Also I just hit 6 months after applying T9 and fluid film half on either side of undercarriage. The fluid film easily outperforms the T9.

Why not just torque check em? 17mm socket and 90 ft-lbs. Have you have one fall off?

Agreed, just do the PM and leave them alone. I have a few friends who use Loctite on the caliper bolts. I’ve never had one work loose. YMMV

Agreed, just do the PM and leave them alone. I have a few friends who use Loctite on the caliper bolts. I’ve never had one work loose. YMMV

Undamaged, properly torqued fasteners, don't come loose. Some blue loctite 242 never hurt anyone, but I don't use it on caliper bolts.

@medtro idk why the suggestion to bring caliper bolts if you've never had them backout.

My last cross country trip i brought enough tools to do an engine swap. All that did was weight down my truck and gave me crappy mileage/acceleration. All you need is a credit card for gas, and enjoy the ride.

It hasn't happened to me doesn't mean it hasn't happened before. I am sorry if you find this disturbing.

It's just a slippery slope, if we start suggesting folks carry extra kit based on "it could theoretically happen"...why not bring an extra drive shaft and wheel bearings? Extra steering rack? extra ring gear for the rear diff? That's all I am trying to say.

I've put 8k on the lx since purchasing in July. After baseline the only thing I've had to field repair was a battery jump with my li ion jumper pack- still not sure why it drained as it's worked great since and was new batt!

Edit:the car is so comfy it makes me fall asleep while driving - bring cold brew coffee

It's just a slippery slope, if we start suggesting folks carry extra kit based on "it could theoretically happen"...why not bring an extra drive shaft and wheel bearings? Extra steering rack? extra ring gear for the rear diff? That's all I am trying to say.

The slippery slope was what I was trying to avoid the trap of getting into. I started with the full maintenance list for my '02 and milage and was including every 'issue' I hadn't had yet. Then I figured I'd scrape the entire thread list and cross reference by cost and effort.

Finally, after seeing so many people here spend the time and effort to post (and re-post) the things they've learned the hard way either by effort or s*** luck, I figured asking first might save a lot of time.

I'm cleaning up the g-doc of what's been suggested and will post it here either tonight or tomorrow.

A crowd sourced middle finger to Murphy's Law is kinda what I'm thinking.

This is the first time I heard about getting caliper bolts and washers is a slippery slope. This is not about "it could theoretically happen". It has happened. I have no more to add if you enjoy driving with caliper flopping around and no brake. Comparing this to steering rack and ring gear for differential is just ridiculous. Please do not drag me into your "it could theoretically happen" argument.

Y'all... It's a road trip. Not a trail ride in the middle of the mountains.

Check fluids and pressures before heading out. Keep a few bottles of fluid in the truck and road-side tool kit. Set your cruise control and stay out of the passing lane unless you're actively passing. The latter two things being the biggest aspect of a smooth road trip.

Done.

Y'all... It's a road trip. Not a trail ride in the middle of the mountains.

Check fluids and pressures before heading out. Keep a few bottles of fluid in the truck and road-side tool kit. Set your cruise control and stay out of the passing lane unless you're actively passing. The latter two things being the biggest aspect of a smooth road trip.

Done.

But , but ...I'm a special and unique snowflake!

Good point though. I'd have a similar POV if I wasn't packing all my stuff in for a 6 months (or longer) move. Which probably doesn't change much in any other year, but being stuck in NYC during this pandemic s*** wasn't fun. Having a breakdown on a trail would be better IMO than a random town - at least until I can get a vaccine.

Either way, it'll be a fun drive and it gives me a solid excuse to add some gear to the truck.

You ARE a special and unique snowflake ... but your truck probably is not. Sorry.

Just don't call it a trip ... call it an adventure.

But , but ...I'm a special and unique snowflake!

Good point though. I'd have a similar POV if I wasn't packing all my stuff in for a 6 months (or longer) move. Which probably doesn't change much in any other year, but being stuck in NYC during this pandemic s*** wasn't fun. Having a breakdown on a trail would be better IMO than a random town - at least until I can get a vaccine.

Either way, it'll be a fun drive and it gives me a solid excuse to add some gear to the truck.

Understood. Your main thoughts would be "what do I need to have for 6 months" probably moreso than "what does the truck need".

Don't miss out on the small towns because you haven't had a vaccine yet. Some of the best traveling to be done now is to those small towns because they haven't had the hysteria you've experienced in New York. I've loved getting away to some small town in N GA and Tennessee this year because you can experience normalcy for a time.

Understood. Your main thoughts would be "what do I need to have for 6 months" probably moreso than "what does the truck need".

Don't miss out on the small towns because you haven't had a vaccine yet. Some of the best traveling to be done now is to those small towns because they haven't had the hysteria you've experienced in New York. I've loved getting away to some small town in N GA and Tennessee this year because you can experience normalcy for a time.
Totally agree, you should absolutely risk passing the virus from yourself to the inhabitants of small town America that have limited health care resources, all in the name of sight seeing. Bonus points if you throw in a couple of small pox blankets for "sharing" along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom