Another over the frame exhaust thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work! Got any tips for welding exhaust? I'm thinking about doing mine too but I'm a new welder and have heard exhaust can be tricky.

Nice work! Got any tips for welding exhaust? I'm thinking about doing mine too but I'm a new welder and have heard exhaust can be tricky.

Use .023 wire! I had to use .030 because I had about 20lbs of it and only 2lbs of .023 and that little roll doesn't fit in the big welder. I found it way easier to use the smaller wire. The other thing is weld as much as you can on the bench, you can see the welds I did lying on my back burning the crap out of myself...

Thanks for taking the time to post the build thread. Did you end up using all 2-1/4"? I was looking at mine and wondering if I could use a bit larger tube and squash it oval to create more free space between the floor and the exhaust.

Thanks for taking the time to post the build thread. Did you end up using all 2-1/4"? I was looking at mine and wondering if I could use a bit larger tube and squash it oval to create more free space between the floor and the exhaust.

I ended up using 2-1/4 the whole way, I could find zero evidence to suggest that larger diameter would pipe would actually make any difference in performance. For the part that goes over the frame, it is pretty tight as is, plus I wrapped it with two layers to try and keep the floor a bit cooler so with even 2.5 it would be touching.

P.S. I have an extra 6" round muffler if you want, I bought two to see the difference.

Did you remove the rear heater completly?
I ended up using 2-1/4 the whole way, I could find zero evidence to suggest that larger diameter would pipe would actually make any difference in performance. For the part that goes over the frame, it is pretty tight as is, plus I wrapped it with two layers to try and keep the floor a bit cooler so with even 2.5 it would be touching.

P.S. I have an extra 6" round muffler if you want, I bought two to see the difference.
It looks like it's a tight squeeze
Yes I would happly find a home for your extra muffler if you think it will work

I removed my rear heater and associated plumbing that is accessible with the engine installed. It’s up to you whether or not have it is important.

I'll have to do a bit of looking, thinking and asking, but I would just as soon remove as much as possible as soon as I figure what that is. I'm sure there are probably 614 threads on it I can read...

Nice bit of space under the seat for storage once you remove the rear heater. I store my first aide kit under there. Plus the weight savings, every little bit helps.

I deleted my rear heater. Easy peasy. Theres a few pics and tips in my build thread in my sig. I left my hard lines in place, too much work to remove. I keep two large tool bags under the seat now.

Ok, all dialed in. There is one leal, but I know where and why (weld on the very top) and how to fix it. Happy to help anyone considering running over the frame ..tight but doable. All said, I'm into it for about 320 with consumables. I could probably do it for about 260-280 if I did it again.

Ok, all dialed in. There is one leal, but I know where and why (weld on the very top) and how to fix it. Happy to help anyone considering running over the frame ..tight but doable. All said, I'm into it for about 320 with consumables. I could probably do it for about 260-280 if I did it again.
That little? That's pretty awesome. I will definitely be considering this as an option in the next year or so. My exhaust is a patchwork arrangement of rusty OEM components, PO hack job, and my hack job repairs haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom