Yukon zip air locker (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone goes ARB which is a proven name in itself when it comes to air lockers. But at a pricepoint of nearly 25% off what an ARB cost the zip locker is looking more reasonable financially. I haven’t seen to many reviews on this forum on this particular brand for air lockers but has anyone installed one on their rig? Positives and negative are appreciated. Please let’s keep it to subject. I am not talking about Harrop or Detroit or what my mamma’s rig had on it. If you have a YUKON ZIP Air lockers or had one please chime in.

okay since no one has ever used the Zip locker, I guess i'll be the first. Just had the rear Zip installed in the rear of the LC with 5.29's elite gears. Shawn from River City Differentials did the install and would highly recommend him if your in northern california. But I have to say, I was a little disappointed with the front ZIP locker, as the machining was off by .09' on the air side. Don't know if it was just a machining error, but shawn caught it, and ordered me an ARB, as he is an ARB distributor. So i'll give an ARB vs Yukon Zip review in a couple of months.

Hope they work out for you.

I was researching zip lockers and had to visit other 4x4 sites to get any real world use reports. As far as what i could dig up the only reports of zip lockers blowing up were from hard rock crawling. I've seen the bench tests that have been done but thats outside the scope of what I'll use this 80 for. Ive been considering going lunch box rear and yukon zip in the front as the cheapest and fastest route to getting fully locked.

Bump for some additional thoughts. Intriguing there isn't much in the 80 forum about the Zip Locker. Considering one for the front of my 80 as well.

I installed Yukon Zip lockers 9k miles ago, back in May, front and rear.

They are a close copy of the ARB lockers in mechanism and design you can reference ARB air locker installs to put in the Zip locker. Thus, I really don't see the difference, other than price. Locks and unlocks with ease, no concerns in the last 7 months and 9k miles.

If you want to spend more money, go with the Harrop E-locker. One of the issues I've had is that the little viar 88p compressor I was using couldn't keep up above 10k feet of elevation. Requires 90psi to actuate it, which can be hard to build at high elevation. I've bought a giant Smittybilt to deal with this issue and an air tank to store compressed air. It would have been much easier to run the electric line to e-lockers.

The air line maintenance in general is a pain. If you have the money, I'd go with the reliability of the harrop. It's $500 more each, but this is the only upgrade over the Zip locker, don't bother with ARB.

From my understanding the zip was arb first design, when copy right came up Yukon bought it and started making the zip.

Grizzly locker in the back Harrop in the front...is still cheaper than 2 ARBs :idea:

I looked at the zips for a while before I decided on this plan. Decided I didn’t want to deal with air at all. I have heard Yukon can be hit or miss, but I haven’t had any problems with their stuff yet.

From my understanding the zip was arb first design, when copy right came up Yukon bought it and started making the zip.
This! I have had one apart and also ARB's. I have and still have ARB's in vehicles but also installed two Zip lockers in my FJ40 last year. They have worked flawless every time I have used them. I do not think they are bad units. I have also had one in the front of my 4500 class Ultra4 car. It has brought me across the finish line at KOH several times, if that is not a test of abuse I am not sure what is.

Grizzly locker in the back Harrop in the front...is still cheaper than 2 ARBs :idea:

I looked at the zips for a while before I decided on this plan. Decided I didn’t want to deal with air at all. I have heard Yukon can be hit or miss, but I haven’t had any problems with their stuff yet.

That would have been a nice option, but you can’t run an auto locker in snow country. Even locking the center diff decreases my traction in snow and ice.

This! I have had one apart and also ARB's. I have and still have ARB's in vehicles but also installed two Zip lockers in my FJ40 last year. They have worked flawless every time I have used them. I do not think they are bad units. I have also had one in the front of my 4500 class Ultra4 car. It has brought me across the finish line at KOH several times, if that is not a test of abuse I am not sure what is.

That’s awesome! Congrats on finishing the KOH. That’s a hell
Of a test of endurance on man and machine.

aside from the way the copper line is run on the lockers, did you notice anything from a locking mechanism perspective? Anything that would say there’s a difference in materials or strength?

That would have been a nice option, but you can’t run an auto locker in snow country. Even locking the center diff decreases my traction in snow and ice.
We get plenty of snow around here and I have had an Aussie locker in the back of my 80 for about 4 years now. No problems at all. I love the thing. You adjust really quickly to it and I have never felt it was unsafe. I even let my mom drive it in snowy and icy weather and it does fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom