'97 LC80 Steering Slow Return To Center (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So....I swapped out to a set of front radius arms that have the stock bushings, providing stock caster. The truck definitely turns back to center much better now! I did take some of the advice to check out the trunnion bearing and this is what I can feel. The wheels are definitely harder to turn through that area that would be from about 9 o'clock to about 3 o'clock. Once you get past just passed center, it eases up a bit. I can certainly feel the difference as I cycle the wheels from full lock to lock. Is that the trunnions bearings, or is that normal? Or, is that just the hydraulics causing that?

So....I swapped out to a set of front radius arms that have the stock bushings, providing stock caster. The truck definitely turns back to center much better now! I did take some of the advice to check out the trunnion bearing and this is what I can feel. The wheels are definitely harder to turn through that area that would be from about 9 o'clock to about 3 o'clock. Once you get past just passed center, it eases up a bit. I can certainly feel the difference as I cycle the wheels from full lock to lock. Is that the trunnions bearings, or is that normal? Or, is that just the hydraulics causing that?
Does sounds like normal trunnion wear. When I've replaced mine the Before and After feel was completely different. The new bearings had zero such resistance, and were consistent and smooth over the range of travel. If you really to be certain, pop the relay bar and tie rod ball joints off the knuckles, then manually swing each knuckle thru its range. This will isolate the knuckles from the rest of the steering train. (With wheels off, of course.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom