What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove it for the first time since June. LS swap, fj60 tranny and split case, fj 60 axles, tahoe leaf springs soa with slider shackles, new bumpers front and back, 37" tires on beadlocks. Overall couldn't be more happy.
42820.jpeg
42915.jpeg
42908.jpeg

Dakota can make the change to a 5k tach for not a lot of money. They need a lot of money to change to anything else.

Wonder what percentage would prefer the 5K range? Smaller the range in the same space the more accurate you can read the RPM. Thinking the number number needing an 8K would be extremely low. Personally would say that should be the one paid a little extra to get.

Wonder what percentage would prefer the 5K range? Smaller the range in the same space the more accurate you can read the RPM. Thinking the number number needing an 8K would be extremely low. Personally would say that should be the one paid a little extra to get.
The data screen is capable of showing exact RPM when selected. I thought the 8k on the tach was annoying. The updated hdx version doesn’t have a dedicated tach but has a sliding indicator light.

yep, that's Eric. Good hands indeed. He's the main reason mine runs as well as it does today. Jack and Mike were in the 80 and 80 buggy. So I was definitely the weak link. Spot was on the RI/MA/CT border area. Would love to have you join us next time. I think they're doing Harris tomorrow in Mass.
Very nice,
Would love to join up. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow. Fridays are a full day. Keep me in the loop for another adventure.
Say hi to Eric for me!!

Pulled the head on the 1F today. Before I pulled the engine from the frame I did a compression check. All seemed good except #1 had about 15 psi and I could hear air blowing past the exhaust valve into the manifold. Rocker arm was returning properly with a little lash on that pushrod so I knew it was a valve problem. Found this one: aren’t they supposed to be all round?...
5073CFD3-58FD-43D0-9407-E41895C347B0.jpeg
9934FC33-8FD3-45C6-89C0-DAE79A46FD9D.jpeg
A44848FE-D3C5-4621-A4A3-6BFD5215130C.jpeg

Pulled the head on the 1F today. Before I pulled the engine from the frame I did a compression check. All seemed good except #1 had about 15 psi and I could hear air blowing past the exhaust valve into the manifold. Rocker arm was returning properly with a little lash on that pushrod so I knew it was a valve problem. Found this one: aren’t they supposed to be all round?...View attachment 2521175View attachment 2521176View attachment 2521177

The Toyota Manual does suggest that the best shape for a valve is round.

At least I had a Hoppy Helper for the teardown and subsequent findings.
I just ordered some other stuff from Mark’s Offroad, so looks like another order to be placed soon.
72FBB126-74AB-4E63-B27F-305ED3723E9A.jpeg

Pulled the head on the 1F today. Before I pulled the engine from the frame I did a compression check. All seemed good except #1 had about 15 psi and I could hear air blowing past the exhaust valve into the manifold. Rocker arm was returning properly with a little lash on that pushrod so I knew it was a valve problem. Found this one: aren’t they supposed to be all round?...View attachment 2521175View attachment 2521176View attachment 2521177

Burned valve; angle ground too sharp, tappet clearance consistently run too tight, timing off, lugging the engine, and excess carbon in the head could all be factors. Lugging the engine all the time is probably the quickest way to burn an exhaust valve.

Wife said "lets take the FJ for our family Christmas pics" -
(I don't care to ever correct her, she allows it, never asks for the receipts, drives it and asks for it in our pictures, at least she knows it's not a j**p)

The day after our pictures, our friend who has always photographed us tested positive for Covid..... Please be careful out there friends!

Merry Christmas all!

21a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom