Dobinsons 3.5" Tapered Lift... or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update:

The taller “left” spring was in fact on the left (drivers) side. I’m stumped.
BCBFDD93-FA2B-4D1B-BA1C-A0D1544AEAED.jpeg

Okay only one more thought.... are they both the same spring? They look different in that photo. Are both labels still on?
Good observation. Something is wrong with the spring on the right. It looks to be stretched at the end where the wire is thinnest.

Good observation. Something is wrong with the spring on the right. It looks to be stretched at the end where the wire is thinnest.

Exactly what I was thinking. Is it possible one is a 2.5" tapered and the other is a 3" flexi or a 3.5" tapered? It still looks like a tapered coil wire, but the spacing is way different L v R.

It also looks like the coil in the right of the photo has one additional wrap. It may just look that way due to the orientation.

Last edited:
Update:

The taller “left” spring was in fact on the left (drivers) side. I’m stumped.View attachment 2515498
Those look exactly like mine therefore they are 3.5” and both of these springs have the same number of turns. Mike or David need to be contacted so they can see these photos.

Last edited:
Those look exactly like mine therefore they are 3.5” and both of these spring have the same number of turns. Mike or David need to contacted so they can see these photos.

Just going to say the same thing.
You can email David, he is AWAYS fast at getting back.
david@dobinsonusa.com

So the springs are swapped side to side and they’re measuring 3 3/4” on the drivers and 3 1/2” on the passenger. I’ll contact David and see what he thinks. And they’re both the same spring or at least labeled that way. Thanks for helping out so much guys!View attachment 2515591View attachment 2515592
David will tell you that if you are within 1/4” that’s as good as it gets. That’s what trim packers come in handy for. A couple 10mm packers and you’ll be level.

David will tell you that if you are within 1/4” that’s as good as it gets. That’s what trim packers come in handy for. A couple 10mm packers and you’ll be level.

I just emailed him. Hopefully he can tell me if the springs are correct. I’m still kind of blown away with how much lift I’m getting out of these “2.5”springs. On top of the armor and winch, it’s also supercharged. So I’m confused on how gwnugget is getting 2.25” of lift out of his and most people are getting under 3”. Hopefully they come down when I put more miles on them.

I just emailed him. Hopefully he can tell me if the springs are correct. I’m still kind of blown away with how much lift I’m getting out of these “2.5”springs. On top of the armor and winch, it’s also supercharged. So I’m confused on how gwnugget is getting 2.25” of lift out of his and most people are getting under 3”. Hopefully they come down when I put more miles on them.
In the photo of the springs on your 80, they look like mine which are the 3.5” tapered coils. Three turns of the skinny 13mm wire. Did you measure them standing free on the shop floor?

66F80270-71D6-47D1-B3AB-E72DDCE46148.jpeg
07CE97DC-8D14-41DB-9A4E-C029CD6B8EFB.jpeg
10AC8669-1510-474C-BAF3-E1830D261327.jpeg
BA845D03-5075-4782-B8E2-BF852B32DC1A.jpeg

Here’s my 3.5” springs 144vt. They are identical to yours. 13 wraps with three skinnies. Maybe yours were tagged incorrectly. I’m only getting 5” lift with 3.5’s plus 1” spacer.

Last edited:
31EC7EF0-D1A1-46B3-9EAE-75FF1D85C512.jpeg

just jumping in here with my 144vts and 612v coils side by side. Left is left right is right. Only difference between the 2.5 146vt and 3.5 144vt is .5” height and the taper may be different between the 2 as @baldilocks said above.

I think it was a spring out of spec, it was to tall and the initial rate didn’t seem to compress correctly.
One of the springs definitely appeared to be stretched in a photo you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom