LS swap and t-case question regrets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a 97 CE 3x locked this past fall. It has 275k on it and runs ok. I am tempted to swap in a LS just because I can and have a few questions for those that have done this. I have read most of the sticky v-8 swap thread.

For those that kept the stock 80 series t-case, do you regret not going with the 60 series split case and having true selectable 4wd and 2wd options?

For those that did swap in the 60 series case was it worth it? Extra cost of driveshaft and shifter work, etc.

I am not asking what is stronger or what I plan to do with the truck etc. It has a OME 2.5" lift and 33's for now. This will be mostly street driven so I am thinking less wear and tear on driveline with true 2wd. Not sure fuel economy will make a difference, as I own a gas station! My DD Yukon Denali (6.0-4l60) gets about 11 mpg so I know what I am in for.

Engine combo could be one of these 3. Yes I have too many options here.
385 hp 5.3 - 4l60
300 hp stock 6.0 - 4l80
403 hp stock 6.2 - 6l80

Lest keep this to the tranfercase question. 80 series or 60 series. I do not think it matters between 38mm or 34mm.

For street use you mention it does not make difference between 34 and 38 mm in my opinion

I did the 2WD spool in my 80 case along w/ the gear reduction. Very happy I did.

I did the 2WD spool in my 80 case along w/ the gear reduction. Very happy I did.
This still has the front driveshaft and axle shafts turning correct? Just free wheel hub on it? The spool to make it all move.

This still has the front driveshaft and axle shafts turning correct? Just free wheel hub on it? The spool to make it all move.
No. It makes it true 2wd.
Also added selectable hubs to the front instead of the drive flanges.

No. It makes it true 2wd.
Also added selectable hubs to the front instead of the drive flanges.
Please educate me...how does it shift from 2hi to 4hi? I have heard of these but did not know how to stop the front driveshaft from spinning.

Thanks

The CDL button is what makes it 4WD. When it’s in high range it’s 2wd till you hit the CDL.
the spool replaces the spider gears in the tcase. I can’t remember what it’s called at the moment.

The CDL button is what makes it 4WD. When it’s in high range it’s 2wd till you hit the CDL.
the spool replaces the spider gears in the tcase. I can’t remember what it’s called at the moment.
I am following you but the spool replaces the diff inside the t-case if I am not mistaken allowing the "diff" to be locked I think??? I am not sure what the CDL would do anymore?? I will need to do some more research on this one. I know it would be easier to re-use the stock case but I do not want all that front stuff turning unless it has too.

Edit:
I just watched the video on Marks, I see how it works now.

Last edited:
I have the part time 80 t case with aisin hubs and nothing up front spins; no front driveshaft, axle shafts, hubs etc.

Hit the CDL switch, lock the hubs and 4wd is engaged.

Keep in mind that ABS is lost due to tone rings not spinning up front

I am following you but the spool replaces the diff inside the t-case if I am not mistaken allowing the "diff" to be locked I think??? I am not sure what the CDL would do anymore?? I will need to do some more research on this one. I know it would be easier to re-use the stock case but I do not want all that front stuff turning unless it has too.
Yes. Spool replaces the diff thing in the case.
I thing you’re thing this spool works as it would in a diff. It doesn’t.
However when adding the spool the spider gears are removed from the “diff” and then the spool is added. W/ the spider gears removed and the power is lost to the front until you push the CDL. Than it becomes 4wd once you engage your locking bibs up front.

I have the part time 80 t case with aisin hubs and nothing up front spins; no front driveshaft, axle shafts, hubs etc.

Hit the CDL switch, lock the hubs and 4wd is engaged.

Keep in mind that ABS is lost due to tone rings not spinning up front

I see Marks has a kit to add ABS back to it, ~$300, I think would be worth it to not see the ABS light on! I would plan on a complete knuckle rebuild at the same time and new birfs as these have some miles on them.

@matzell
Watch this. he explains it better than me.

I see Marks has a kit to add ABS back to it, ~$300, I think would be worth it to not see the ABS light on! I would plan on a complete knuckle rebuild at the same time and new birfs as these have some miles on them.

I deleted my ABS awhile ago. Brakes work amazingly awesome now. I pulled the ABS light while I was doing my LS swap.

Last edited:
@matzell
Watch this. he explains it better than me.

That is the video I watched. Very good info there. I think I like the Aisin hub better than those but if those are the ones Marks sells it says they have the hardened gear in them which you get also when you upgrade to RCV's which makes since once you go to 2wd. Lots of things to think about before I pull the trigger, lower gear sets while you are there! I still have several FJ40 projects to finish so who knows how long this will take!

Mine has the split case, AA adapter for NV4500.
Im putting in the jonesy’s adapter to 80 series case as soon as it arrives in the mail. The split case is a bit noisy, and has leaked through the adapter since I got it, can’t wait to be done with it and back to an 80 case

Also, something is broken somewhere between the clutch and driveshaft currently

That is the video I watched. Very good info there. I think I like the Aisin hub better than those but if those are the ones Marks sells it says they have the hardened gear in them which you get also when you upgrade to RCV's which makes since once you go to 2wd. Lots of things to think about before I pull the trigger, lower gear sets while you are there! I still have several FJ40 projects to finish so who knows how long this will take!

I run the Aisin hubs too. Read a lot of not so good things about the other hubs marks sells. I also have RCV’s.

I have the hf2a without the viscous coupler. I kept awd and prefer it over 2wd. I like awd for wet and mildly snowy roads. Mine is a daily driver and I only do very mild trails here n their. I rebuilt the tcase since it had 300k on it. I would probably use split case with low gears if I was wheeling it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom