Kenwood TM-V71A dual-band ham radio install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overlandlady.com
Hi folks, noobie here...

Long story short I brought my 100 back to Canada after my year of touring around Australia.. I had an Australian CB radio which was pre-tuned to its 40 (or maybe 80?) UHF channels.

In Canada, however, people mostly use VHF so I always have difficulty asking others to tune into my Aussie CB channels.
Handheld Baofeng just doesn't give you the range you need.
Been looking around for a unit and came down to the Kenwood TM-V71A. I'm still a radio noob but since most of the members in a local radio club run this unit, I reckon it wouldn't be bad. It's a UHF/VHF dual-band unit.
Kenwood-TM-V71A install-1920.jpg

NMO Mount
Using a Comet 2X4SR antenna with a spring adaptor for it.
Made a video for the whole install hope it helps.

Straight mounted on the dash under my dashmat and changed screen color to match the vehicle center console..
Now I just need to program it to have the Resource Road channel preset in BC.
TopNotchMapOnDash-4.jpg

Since I didn't want to take the Aussie CB out and leaving the Comet antenna in front of my eyes is a bit annoying, I'm thinking of moving the antenna to the passenger outer side of the bar. Anyone running an antenna bracket on the ARB bar (other than the bar's own mounting tabs)? Does it stay well? I'm a bit concerned that it may spin. Another way is to grind off some powder coat and weld a tab on it but that's a bit of effort..

That is a nice, easy to use radio. I have it's big brother, the TM-D710.

No opinion on running your antenna on the ARB bar; I mounted mine on a rear spare tire carrier (not a 100-series) and it works well enough.

@Overland Lady - Welcome to MUD. Great install video.
I also run a TM-V71A mounted on center top of dash. I use the 2nd channel of V71A for APRS via tinytrak4 w/ their Bluetooth adapter and APRSDroid on an Android Tablet.
Have this external speaker mounted on door pillar in corner above my head. Makes it easier to tell Ham from CB or Phone.
Amazon product ASIN B001JT3DYQ
Comet SS-680SBNMO antenna in center of roof rack just behind sunroof, via a TNC passthrough in roof.
Welded a tab on passenger side of my Dissent Bullbar for a CB antenna.
The 1 DIN CB mounted is below 1 DIN stereo in dash.

2019-05Trip-056-crop.jpg

Last edited:
@Overland Lady - Welcome to MUD. Great install video.
I also run a TM-V71A mounted on center top of dash. I use the 2nd channel of V71A for APRS via tinytrak4 w/ their Bluetooth adapter and APRSDroid on an Android Tablet.
Have this external speaker mounted on door pillar in corner above my head. Makes it easier to tell Ham from CB or Phone.
Amazon product ASIN B001JT3DYQ
Comet SS-680SBNMO antenna in center of roof rack just behind sunroof, via a TNC passthrough in roof.
Welded a tab on passenger side of my Dissent Bullbar for a CB antenna.
The 1 DIN CB mounted is below 1 DIN stereo in dash.

View attachment 2520497
Weld on tab! That's what I was thinking but takes a bit of work to grind off the powder coat.. Interesting idea to have it mounted on the side of the loop instead of on the top.

btw did you paint the snorkel and mirrors too....

Antenna mounted out on the side gives another indicator of how close I am to things on that side. Flap sand disc in my angle grinder made short work of powder coat.
Mirrors were white from factory. I used Krylon Fusion spray paint (sticks to plastic) on the snorkel.

I'm thinking of moving the antenna to the passenger outer side of the bar. Anyone running an antenna bracket on the ARB bar (other than the bar's own mounting tabs)? Does it stay well? I'm a bit concerned that it may spin. Another way is to grind off some powder coat and weld a tab on it but that's a bit of effort..
Been running the V71 for years now. Great unit. On my LX450 I used the Diamond K400SNMO mount with a Comet SBB-1NMO stubby for when I'm in the trees and a Diamond NR770HBNMO when out in the open.

Diamond K400SNMO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom