Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well the the cheap botox facelift has been completed and I have to say, that while it's likely not the end game, its a hell of a lot better than it was! It's a just bolt on ebay 40 bumper and some LEDs I had in the garage. Pulled the winch. Looks like a harbour freight quality unit. Up for cheap if anyone wants it as is the dual tube mustacheod bumper I pulled! Lol. I'm guessing that's going to the aluminum recycler! The rear is getting powder coated to match the black, as it's less of a mess than the front was, although that may end up gone at some point too. I'm liking it anyway, so that's gotta count for something!

20201206_160450.jpg

That's way better looking in my opinion. 👍
Had a question about the winch on a DM. I unpeeled an old sticker off of it that I swear had orange lettering on it when I first looked at it, but I could be mistaken. Anyone have any idea what kind this is?

20201208_201033.jpg

20201208_201045.jpg

20201208_201350.jpg

I got nothing. 🤷‍♂️
I was searching winches and saw a brand called Bull Dog that reminded me of the sticker I pulled. Same connectors on their website and same release handle, so I'm pretty sure it's one of those. No markings other than the 8500lbs. I'm guessing sometime around the last restore which done about 12 years or so ago.

Tackled the oil pan gasket this weekend. Boy, what fun! Holy crap that was harder than anticipated. That old cork gasket was a bastard to get off of there. Even just getting the pan off with all the bolts out initially was quite a fight. Got it all back together yesterday and it sat overnight for the black Toyota goop on the corners to dry. Had to retighten a few times to stop some seapage, but I got it and it stayed dry overnight. Hoping a few cycles of heat from the motor will wrap it up. I'd hate to have to take it off and start over!!! Hard to tell 100% if everything is seated right, but I'm pretty confident it is. Fingers crossed!

Tackled the oil pan gasket this weekend. Boy, what fun! Holy crap that was harder than anticipated. That old cork gasket was a bastard to get off of there. Even just getting the pan off with all the bolts out initially was quite a fight. Got it all back together yesterday and it sat overnight for the black Toyota goop on the corners to dry. Had to retighten a few times to stop some seapage, but I got it and it stayed dry overnight. Hoping a few cycles of heat from the motor will wrap it up. I'd hate to have to take it off and start over!!! Hard to tell 100% if everything is seated right, but I'm pretty confident it is. Fingers crossed!
I've been running the truck every day a few times with long rests in the cold weather in between to hopefully get that gasket to expand and contract enough to fill any minor gaps. Also been checking and re-torqueing. It's going well and has almost stopped leaking, except in the exact place that caused me to do the replacement in the first place!

The horsehoe towards the back by the flywheel seems to be leaking a little bit at the bottom and has been casusing a little drip to run down the flywheel cover. This was really the only place I was seeing the issue before I did the replacement. Has me wondering if the pan is out of whack. I wonder if I should have gooped up that area with the Toyota black RTV I used on the corners. I check the edges of the pan for flatness when it was on the floor and it looked good, but there wasn't really a way to tell if the ends were slightly out of round, which I'm a little concerned may be the case. I'm gonna keep letting it settle in and hope the leak subsides. I suppose if I had to get a new pan and gasket the job would be a lot easier this time around, as 95% of my time was getting the old gasket cleaned off and I'd guess it'll just come right off the next time. Seriously hoping it doesn't come to that though!

Any thoughts?

I've been running the truck every day a few times with long rests in the cold weather in between to hopefully get that gasket to expand and contract enough to fill any minor gaps. Also been checking and re-torqueing. It's going well and has almost stopped leaking, except in the exact place that caused me to do the replacement in the first place!

The horsehoe towards the back by the flywheel seems to be leaking a little bit at the bottom and has been casusing a little drip to run down the flywheel cover. This was really the only place I was seeing the issue before I did the replacement. Has me wondering if the pan is out of whack. I wonder if I should have gooped up that area with the Toyota black RTV I used on the corners. I check the edges of the pan for flatness when it was on the floor and it looked good, but there wasn't really a way to tell if the ends were slightly out of round, which I'm a little concerned may be the case. I'm gonna keep letting it settle in and hope the leak subsides. I suppose if I had to get a new pan and gasket the job would be a lot easier this time around, as 95% of my time was getting the old gasket cleaned off and I'd guess it'll just come right off the next time. Seriously hoping it doesn't come to that though!

Any thoughts?
I'm having the same leak issue as you. I'll be pulling the pan soon, but plan on using the rtv on the radius on both ends of the pan.

I'm having the same leak issue as you. I'll be pulling the pan soon, but plan on using the rtv on the radius on both ends of the pan.
haha! That's funny. I should have called you first! Do you think I better get a new gasket at this point since the one I installed is soaked with oil?

I read somewhere in the 40 thread that someone used the RTV around the edges of the gasket on the outside. If that works and isn't completely stupid I wonder if I ran my finger around that radius with some, it might be enough to stop it...and then if it would actually hold up...probably not. lol

haha! That's funny. I should have called you first! Do you think I better get a new gasket at this point since the one I installed is soaked with oil?

I read somewhere in the 40 thread that someone used the RTV around the edges of the gasket on the outside. If that works and isn't completely stupid I wonder if I ran my finger around that radius with some, it might be enough to stop it...and then if it would actually hold up...probably not. lol
I would buy another one and just start over. I'm no expert on this, I've been procrastinating tackling this job. I ended up even buying a new oil pan at the time, and I still have oil leaks. I think I'll follow your lead and hope for the same outcome.

x2 on new, its such a PITA, better to start fresh - also consider the toyota goop, I've had better luck with it to RTV.
Think that's the move if it doesn't seal itself up. I did use the Toyota FIPG stuff, but only on the corners. I read through this link but somehow didn't capture the FIPG on the radius part. Like I said, the work was the sraping and I bet since it's only been on there a few days, it'll come off easy. Fingers still crossed on not having to do it again.

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

May the Force be with you!
The oil pan is not a complex job, but it sure is a PITA, eh?
Good job for taking that on.

I H8 Leaks!!!

Any thoughts?

Any chance your rear main seal is the culprit?

🤔

Why drop the pan when you could pull the tranny?

And then you might as well replace the clutch, eh...

New '76 FJ55 owner here. Not sure what to say. I have a '76 FJ40 and '65 FJ45, so when the opportunity presented itself to pick up a wagon I had to jump on it to round out my heard.

I know, PICS (old to new)
1965 FJ45lpb:

49BCEFD2-C3D8-4B81-AE35-5F42FCA8248E_1_105_c.jpeg

1976FJ40:
8D909133-1EC5-4773-B428-F4724B543073_1_105_c.jpeg

And lastly the 1976 FJ55:
5BE16FB7-07AB-4008-BAF4-C7A680AD4EC1.JPG

Cheers! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom