Events/Trails Ham Jam 2020 (in lieu of December club meeting) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Magic Eight Ball says the prospects are good for me being there. I have an issue to trouble shoot with the radio in my 100 anyway.

I -might- also depending on what I can get done at home. As in, if the weather's nice enough to work outside I should be at home.
I hear you, I may not be there that long due to a looooong list of honey dooos at the house.

I hear you, I may not be there that long due to a looooong list of honey dooos at the house.

Add "Don't forget to bring the SWR meter." to that list will ya? ;)

I -might- also depending on what I can get done at home. As in, if the weather's nice enough to work outside I should be at home.

If you make it, bring the club checkbook. We need to reimburse @reklund5 for all the good food he ordered for us.

Big thanks to @reklund5 for opening his home... well shop to us today. :) Thanks to all who came out for some quality club time and ham work. I'm hoping we can do this again in 2021.333

Big thanks to @reklund5 for opening his home... well shop to us today. :) Thanks to all who came out for some quality club time and ham work. I'm hoping we can do this again in 2021.333
Glad to have everyone. That shop space has been a lifelong goal of mine and I'm glad to share it.
Anytime we need space to work, I'll open up the shop!

Good to see everyone and sorry that I had to bail so quickly. @reklund5 your shop is awesome and I hope to one day have something half as badass!

Remembered the meter, to bad it wasn't working.:mad:

That's SO 2020! No worries. It seems you, @Krusty Krab and @Mc Orange Crush were able to cover some pretty good distance with your radios though. I flaked on @DesertLake and totally forgot to help him test like 2 mins after he asked me to...

1607322155595.png

Glad to have everyone. That shop space has been a lifelong goal of mine and I'm glad to share it.
Anytime we need space to work, I'll open up the shop!
I need to pick your brain, my garage is still under sage brush on the North side of my property. Working on getting a set of plans ready for permits. I loved the white stripes on the floor I am so doing that, it made backing in soooo easy.
Now that I think bout it, ever change the upper control arms on a 100 series?

I need to pick your brain, my garage is still under sage brush on the North side of my property. Working on getting a set of plans ready for permits. I loved the white stripes on the floor I am so doing that, it made backing in soooo easy.
Now that I think bout it, ever change the upper control arms on a 100 series?
It's been a loooong time since I've done upper arms on a 100 but I've done it. I can't take credit for the stripes on the floor- that was the previous owner. I don't mind them tho- you're right, it makes backing in nice!

So I did some more research on the issue we had with the Rugged V3 radio that I couldn't program for @ajinreno Turns out the boys at Rugged have some sort of lock on it due to their "part 90 commercial" license or something. From what I read on the CHIRP programming software bug list, they're still working on getting around it. I've got an email into the tech support guys at Rugged to see if there is a work around we can use.

In any case, all the accessories for that V3 can be used with the standard baofeng, should you decide to just grab another inexpensive radio for the interim.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into that @reklund5 !! I feel like for that cost I might as well just buy a Baofeng!
Also, I talked to Rugged Radio and they do not have a dual band antenna longer than the 18" one on their website. And they don't have a whip replacement that is tuned correctly. So I would have to mount the antenna somewhere else besides the current mount I have on the lift gate, to get it above the vehicle, per the rep at Rugged. I think I might just hold off on the external antenna for now...

@rusty_tlc I recently did my UCAs on the 100 series...very easy job to do. Jacking up the car and removing the wheels took about as long as replacing the UCAs.

Thanks for looking into that @reklund5 !! I feel like for that cost I might as well just buy a Baofeng!
Also, I talked to Rugged Radio and they do not have a dual band antenna longer than the 18" one on their website. And they don't have a whip replacement that is tuned correctly. So I would have to mount the antenna somewhere else besides the current mount I have on the lift gate, to get it above the vehicle, per the rep at Rugged. I think I might just hold off on the external antenna for now...

@rusty_tlc I recently did my UCAs on the 100 series...very easy job to do. Jacking up the car and removing the wheels took about as long as replacing the UCAs.
I'm pretty sure we could get and adaptor that would allow you to use any antenna you would like.

I need to do some trouble shooting to make sure it's the UCA. I have some nasty squeaking from the front end and uneven wear on the passenger front tire. I may just drop the truck at Sunshine and let them replace whatever needs replacing.

FWIW I plane to go through my Radios this week and thin the herd. I know I have a Kenwood dual band mobile that is going, it's an older radio but the price will be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom