PTO Winch drive shaft configuration for a 69 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Darn I was hoping you actually had this. Has anyone here ever seen the rear setup? I have seen the PTO unit out of firetrucks, but never the rear shafts and bearing supports. Wonder if they were more an overseas accessory and never sold here in the USA?

The two bearing supports look the same to me. One uses U-Bolts to mount to the shock mount tube, the other just uses 4 bolts, two through the bumper and two through the L bracket...

I was being sarcastic about the "limb remover"... Those saws are very dangerous ie limb removers....

The compressor setup I envisioned being used off road to air up EVERYONES tires. Not sure of the rear PTO speed but with that much power you could run a large compressor! The Toyota ad shows a compressor running a jack hammer...

I have never heard of one of these ever being imported to the US. I guessing even the rear PTO only had a short shaft to a pump that was a internal part of the truck and not a accessory on the back. I believe Australia and Europe may have gotten some type of 4X series for use as a fire trucks but mainly most were JDM.

When I said front pillow block bearing I meant the one used for the front winch. Those would are harder to find something after market to work. But I think one from any 2X, 4X, 5X, 6X, 7X series should work. Probably plenty of them still around in other markets. I know the 55 series only used one but the 60 and 70 series I believe used two. Even the 83 and later 4X series used two.

As for having a big compressor for a group to use won't pick a SWB 4X4 I plan on using off road to carry it. Not sure I would even want to have one of the Puma compressors I see mounted in the back of the 80 series. Would have to use it enough to warren taking up that much space all the time.

My thirst for knowledge requires a revival of this thread.

I am understanding that ANY PTO winch assembly (complete) from any year fj40 will interchange with any other year, the ONLY difference being, a different shaft length between the 3 and 4 speeds?

Some pictures of what I am working with, minus one other complete setup that is still installed on a 69' fj40.

I have no idea what year these were removed from but if I had a shaft length specification I could make an educated guess.

My current rig (that I will be installing a winch on) is a 01/1975

received_197369241984214.jpeg

received_210931927291323.jpeg

received_372241357213628.jpeg

received_416853782826812.jpeg

received_474184653562654.jpeg

My thirst for knowledge requires a revival of this thread.

I am understanding that ANY PTO winch assembly (complete) from any year fj40 will interchange with any other year, the ONLY difference being, a different shaft length between the 3 and 4 speeds?

Some pictures of what I am working with, minus one other complete setup that is still installed on a 69' fj40.

I have no idea what year these were removed from but if I had a shaft length specification I could make an educated guess.

My current rig (that I will be installing a winch on) is a 01/1975

View attachment 2510300

View attachment 2510301

View attachment 2510302

View attachment 2510303

View attachment 2510304
Are you working on a three speed or four speed? What do you have and what do you need?

Are you working on a three speed or four speed? What do you have and what do you need?
I’m buying a PTO winch from a four speed to mount to my three speed. Are the modifications worth avoiding?

I’m buying a PTO winch from a four speed to mount to my three speed. Are the modifications worth avoiding?
Check out this thread for more info.

Very helpful. However, this pto winch comes with the gear that provides front and rear outputs. I’m not planning to run a pump or a bandsaw at the rear but does it offer any clue as to the compatibility? Are these front and rear outputs rare, useful or too much trouble?
Honestly, I like all of the front bumper options that don’t accommodate a pto winch. The pto winch I was planning to acquire has a rather unattractive front bumper attached - likely welded in spots.

Very helpful. However, this pto winch comes with the gear that provides front and rear outputs. I’m not planning to run a pump or a bandsaw at the rear but does it offer any clue as to the compatibility? Are these front and rear outputs rare, useful or too much trouble?
Honestly, I like all of the front bumper options that don’t accommodate a pto winch. The pto winch I was planning to acquire has a rather unattractive front bumper attached - likely welded in spots.
The pto winch was an hour and a ferry trip away. I bought it even though the pillow block housing was broken. Well, a piece is broken off. I’m hoping these aren’t scarce. Also, I negotiated him down on the price and when I arrived, the gear for the transfer case was no longer part of the deal. Those are $150 but there’s a good chance my 1971 transfer case has one in there already. I’ll take a look. If it’s not in there, he says he’ll mail the gear to me.

The pto winch was an hour and a ferry trip away. I bought it even though the pillow block housing was broken. Well, a piece is broken off. I’m hoping these aren’t scarce. Also, I negotiated him down on the price and when I arrived, the gear for the transfer case was no longer part of the deal. Those are $150 but there’s a good chance my 1971 transfer case has one in there already. I’ll take a look. If it’s not in there, he says he’ll mail the gear to me.

436DEB48-7FE3-49F5-B35D-F68AD745CD37.png

72F13368-3323-42D6-918F-F395DC8AA950.jpeg

PTOs with front and rear outputs were very common. Have never seen any 40 series PTO that didn't have them.

The aluminum housing for the pillow block bearing is probably about the hardest part to find on a PTO. 1/79 pillow block bearing moved to the side frame rail and housing was steel not aluminum. $150 for a PTO gear is ridiculous. A three speed will have a PTO in it unless it is a first generation three speed used 91 to mid 63. From mid 62 until mid 63 the PTO gear was an option. Four speeds most only had a spacer. But if you bought the PTO gear pictured it would not fit a three speed.

The pillow block housing seems pretty simple in design. I don't have one of mine in hand right now but it looks like a machinist could turn down the cylindrical portion to accept a bearing and the mounting point could be welded on. Would be better if it was fashioned out of some quality steel. You just need the old one for a pattern.

PTOs with front and rear outputs were very common. Have never seen any 40 series PTO that didn't have them.

The aluminum housing for the pillow block bearing is probably about the hardest part to find on a PTO. 1/79 pillow block bearing moved to the side frame rail and housing was steel not aluminum. $150 for a PTO gear is ridiculous. A three speed will have a PTO in it unless it is a first generation three speed used 91 to mid 63. From mid 62 until mid 63 the PTO gear was an option. Four speeds most only had a spacer. But if you bought the PTO gear pictured it would not fit a three speed.
That gear was unexpectedly deleted from the deal - but not necessary for my purposes.
I’m going to clean up the pto and winch while I hunt for the aluminum pillow block housing.
Maybe I could cast a new one since I have most of one now. Kiln, crucible and a big bag of Coke cans?

I have since found those gears for $40, but then I don’t need it anyway. I’m just moderately concerned that my transfer case internals might have been customized like the oil routing on the engine. 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom