Warn m12000 - New To Me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I’m not mistaken the motor itself is sealed although the sealing on the two bolts that run through the motor seems a little questionable. If I recall there are weep holes near where the motor mounts you might want to seal. I don’t 100% recall. Also my winch is apparently super old so apparently so mine might be slightly different than yours.

Figure I’ll jump in the party, too. Just picked up my first m12000 in august. Just started the tear down process this week. What do you all think of my motor? Looks toast but part of me wants to take a long shot and rebuild it
Edit: only saw the photos on my phone. Looking at them now on a computer this thing is done. New motor going on
View attachment 2489361

View attachment 2489362

Electric motors are pretty simple and sturdy; the armature and magnets would likely clean up OK. The weak points that would be questionable are the commutator and the brushes and brush holders and springs. The commutator must be smooth clean copper everywhere, or the brushes won't have good contact. At least the copper on the commutator won't have rusted; it may still be OK underneath all that crud. But if the copper has been mechanically abraded off, the commutator would be toast. Looks like that winch has been thoroughly submerged in water.

Certainly it would be a lot easier just to replace the motor, and easier peace of mind, unless you are very thrifty or just want a project. Last time I bought a new Warn (9.5XP) motor, it was $300 dollars or more - don't remember exactly.

Electric motors are pretty simple and sturdy; the armature and magnets would likely clean up OK. The weak points that would be questionable are the commutator and the brushes and brush holders and springs. The commutator must be smooth clean copper everywhere, or the brushes won't have good contact. At least the copper on the commutator won't have rusted; it may still be OK underneath all that crud. But if the copper has been mechanically abraded off, the commutator would be toast. Looks like that winch has been thoroughly submerged in water.

Certainly it would be a lot easier just to replace the motor, and easier peace of mind, unless you are very thrifty or just want a project. Last time I bought a new Warn (9.5XP) motor, it was $300 dollars or more - don't remember exactly.

Yeah, mostly looking for a project. Since it is a large frame winch it doesn’t serve too many purposes for me since I drive a third gen tundra and, I believe, there are only 2 aftermarket bumpers that support large frames that I know of.

Two of the brush springs are toast which is where I put the line in the sand. I’ll be replacing the motor and probably shelve this motor for a “future project” aka store it until I do a garage clean out and dispose of it.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Alright, I bought a hidden winch mount during black friday. Now I can continue this rebuild. I'm waiting a few gaskets and aeroshell 64 lube.

I was going to buy the xp motor but I think I'll put those funds towards synthetic rope, fairlead and other recovery gear..

I think I'm getting 3/8 x 80 rope and warn 1.5 inch fairlead. I never knew Synthetic rope was so expensive..

I'll also extend the control box to under the hood. Is there any reason to upgrade gauge wiring?

20201206_184534.jpg

I'll also extend the control box to under the hood. Is there any reason to upgrade gauge wiring?

Yes; with DC power, the voltage will drop with length, so you can compensate for that by increasing the wire diameter. If you're only going a couple of feet it won't matter, but if you're going to mount the box on your firewall and have the power cables snaking all around the bumper and the engine bay, I would go up a size on your power and ground cables.

qq.

I am looking at a spydura 3/8x80 rope(Warn 102560). It doesnt list breaking strength or tensile strength.

Warn mentions:
"For use of winches up ta a 12000lb capactiy" then "weight capacity". Its kinda throws me off a bit.

I dont understand why theyre using different terms from all other syntehtic ropes..

qq.

I am looking at a spydura 3/8x80 rope(Warn 102560). It doesnt list breaking strength or tensile strength.

Warn mentions:
"For use of winches up ta a 12000lb capactiy" then "weight capacity". Its kinda throws me off a bit.

I dont understand why theyre using different terms from all other syntehtic ropes..

For some reason breaking strength is only listed on product and no where on their site..

20201211_133236.jpg

20201213_172602.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom