diesel swap inquiry - Oregon DEQ inspection and engine/gearbox value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
happy post thanksgiving to everyone - hope everyone's plumbing has survived!

a few inquiries for the cruiser family.

I'm getting closer to being able to scrape together funds for a 1HDT that pops up for sale (eventually) and I have a shop that can do the swap for me, and I have wife permission. (mostly) I'm in not particular hurry - this is planning for next spring should an engine pop up on the radar.

1. anyone able to explain the DEQ inspection process after a diesel swap? I live in Oregon - they do inspect the underside for cat converters with a mirror - and they stick a probe up the tailpipe. what happens to inspection after a diesel swap? do we tell them to not bother with original specs cuz they won't make any sense?

2. value of a 3FE + H55F? its a really good running/reliable drivetrain. H55F was installed brand new in 2018 and has ~ 20,000 miles on it. The 3FE is original engine with 275K miles on it. Runs perfect and gets 15MPG on road trips. uses roughly a quart of oil in 3000 miles - but only if highway road trips are involved. if only around town driving it uses no oil.

I'm weighing the pros & cons of keeping my H55 and attach to the future diesel - or sell the 3FE + 5 speed attached it's a much more desirable hunk of iron for a prospective buyer as a whole kit.

I like the idea of attaching my H55 to the back of the 1HDT since i already own it and that money is already spent..but I realize that I would have some additional parts & labor cost to swap the input shaft to accommodate the diesel...so it makes me wonder if it's worth just selling the whole package and apply those funds toward a 5 speed gearbox that needs no mods to work with 1HDT.

whats a good running 3FE minus gearbox worth?
any thoughts on what it's worth with 5 speed attached?

thanks all!
pd

happy post thanksgiving to everyone - hope everyone's plumbing has survived!

a few inquiries for the cruiser family.

I'm getting closer to being able to scrape together funds for a 1HDT that pops up for sale (eventually) and I have a shop that can do the swap for me, and I have wife permission. (mostly) I'm in not particular hurry - this is planning for next spring should an engine pop up on the radar.

1. anyone able to explain the DEQ inspection process after a diesel swap? I live in Oregon - they do inspect the underside for cat converters with a mirror - and they stick a probe up the tailpipe. what happens to inspection after a diesel swap? do we tell them to not bother with original specs cuz they won't make any sense?

2. value of a 3FE + H55F? its a really good running/reliable drivetrain. H55F was installed brand new in 2018 and has ~ 20,000 miles on it. The 3FE is original engine with 275K miles on it. Runs perfect and gets 15MPG on road trips. uses roughly a quart of oil in 3000 miles - but only if highway road trips are involved. if only around town driving it uses no oil.

I'm weighing the pros & cons of keeping my H55 and attach to the future diesel - or sell the 3FE + 5 speed attached it's a much more desirable hunk of iron for a prospective buyer as a whole kit.

I like the idea of attaching my H55 to the back of the 1HDT since i already own it and that money is already spent..but I realize that I would have some additional parts & labor cost to swap the input shaft to accommodate the diesel...so it makes me wonder if it's worth just selling the whole package and apply those funds toward a 5 speed gearbox that needs no mods to work with 1HDT.

whats a good running 3FE minus gearbox worth?
any thoughts on what it's worth with 5 speed attached?

thanks all!
pd

i have 2 thoughts :

i got some positive feedback recently that both of these helped 2 different folks escape the wrath of the MAN at the VIEP , MVA ? DMV what ever is called when they screw with your ability to get to work and back .......

over the total of less the 1% of drivers on the road ...........

i personally rendered the art work for both based off in my face originals in good condition

no promises , but i wonder if that phone # number is still good ?

1606704319202.png

1606704446626.png

3FE value - For a complete with harness and computer and down pipes = $500 to $1000...at least thats what I have seen several 3FE's in this area that came with harnesses etc listed for. Yours is a bit on the higher mileage side so price may be a bit lower.

Your 5 speed is pretty much new so I'd think it would be worth only slightly less than new.

If you are sourcing a 1HDT you should see if you can find one that includes a good mated transmission.

If you are sourcing a 1HDT you should see if you can find one that includes a good mated transmission.

yeah - that would be ideal...but they pop up so rarely I sorta doubt I have the luxury to want/expect that. it could happen - or never.

i did hear someone say that toyota still sells the brand new H55 with the larger input shaft - so a brand new gearbox is available. anyone fact check me on that? i understood it to be a different part # from the standard H55 - it can come factory with the larger input shaft.

i also heard that tweaking my current H55 to the larger input shaft - the part is roughly $500 + some labor to open up the gearbox to swap the shafts.

and then there's the option of an entirely different transmission (h150 i think?)

Last edited:
yeah - that would be ideal...but they pop up so rarely I sorta doubt I have the luxury to want/expect that. it could happen - or never.

i did hear someone say that toyota still sells the brand new H55 with the larger input shaft - so a brand new gearbox is available. anyone fact check me on that? i understood it to be a different part # from the standard H55 - it can come factory with the larger input shaft.

i also heard that tweaking my current H55 to the larger input shaft - the part is roughly $500 + some labor to open up the gearbox to swap the shafts.

and then there's the option of an entirely different transmission (h150 i think?)
Swap the input yourself. It's not hard, and you'll save yourself the 2-3 (probably more) labor hours a shop will charge you for the job.
From my understanding, as long as the diesel swapped in is newer in model year engine, with that year's emissions equipment, then you're good (Oregon).

If you're interested in selling the 3FE as a running engine ready to bolt in front of an H55f on a >2 month, <1 year timeframe, I'm local to the PNW and interested in it. I've been talking some trash about 3FE/2FE builds lately, but a running engine with all its bits solves all the headaches/mysteries IMO...PM me if you'd like to work something out.

Now I'm having fantasies about rebuilding the bottom end of my janky 2F in a storage unit while enjoying a running 3FE in the meantime.

EDIT: I mention this as someone who will, specifically, buy the engine without the H55f, because I've got a new one sitting in the shed already. That means you could hold onto yours and swap the input shaft etc. as others mention, in case that wasn't clear). Hopefully that makes it easier to consider options!

To pass emissions in Oregon in a testing county:

Go to DMV and get the title correction form. Have the "fuel type" changed from Gas to Diesel. When they send the registration paperwork for you to take to a testing center it should show Diesel and then the testing center will stick a probe up your pipe and test per diesel specs. So far no one has ever looked under my hood or checked for emission devices.

I had issues with the DMV getting me the updated paperwork but eventually they got it right and testing has been simple.

The federal rule as Mr Jits stated for engine swaps is an engine same year or newer than the chassis.

Last edited:
To pass emissions in Oregon in a testing county:

Go to DMV and get the title correction form. Have the "fuel type" changed from Gas to Diesel. When they send the registration paperwork for you to take to a testing center it should show Diesel and then the testing center will stick a probe up your pipe and test per diesel specs. So far no one has ever looked under my hood or checked for emission devices.

I had issues with the DMV getting me the updated paperwork but eventually they got it right and testing has been simple.

The federal rule as Mr Jits stated for engine swaps is an engine same year or new than the chassis.

sweet - thanks @boots4. that's what i was after...something oregon specific. glad to hear it sounds fairly straightforward.

If you're interested in selling the 3FE as a running engine ready to bolt in front of an H55f on a >2 month, <1 year timeframe, I'm local to the PNW and interested in it. I've been talking some trash about 3FE/2FE builds lately, but a running engine with all its bits solves all the headaches/mysteries IMO...PM me if you'd like to work something out.

Now I'm having fantasies about rebuilding the bottom end of my janky 2F in a storage unit while enjoying a running 3FE in the meantime.

EDIT: I mention this as someone who will, specifically, buy the engine without the H55f, because I've got a new one sitting in the shed already. That means you could hold onto yours and swap the input shaft etc. as others mention, in case that wasn't clear). Hopefully that makes it easier to consider options!

thanks for that Felix. i'll DM you to say hello so it's easy to find later when things start happening.

Paul, if you need some motivation for the swap you should stop by and check out my FJ62 with a 1HDT/H55. It’s a great combo.
View attachment 2517934

thanks Rustic! I'd love that...i'll reach out after the holidays - we can figure out a meet up. who did your swap? was this your work or someone do it for you?

AH! white fj62 - recent diesel swap + h55 - sounds like kentucky pete rig maybe?

I don't think Oregon is as picky as some.. I took my diesel in truck in for emissions (Lived in Gladstone, inside DEQ test zone) and the guy looked at it and said, "oh that's an 8 lug, we don't test those!" He then wrote me an exemption slip which once filed meant no more testing. (Yes, there is an exeption for over certain GVWR, but the 8 lug 1-ton axles were swapped in). Never had them look underhood on any of my gas rigs either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom