Replaced fan clutch, shroud is hitting blades. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I feel silly for this one, but I just replaced the fan clutch, belts, idler and AC pulley. Fun and easy, and when it idles it is far quieter than when it was running the original pulleys and gates belts. The difference is kind of amazing. However, I went for test drive and got the buzzsaw sound. So I turned around slowly made it home.

Looking at the shroud there is far more clearance for the blades on the top than on the bottom. In fact, when it's idling I can pull back on the radiator a bit and get the blades to touch the shroud and make a noise. I did take the water pump pulley off to, but I assume that can only go back on one way? The shroud can only go one way too it seems.

I'm baffled here, this was a super simple job but something is up.

Image from iOS (2).jpg

Hi, I would say it’s sitting on a hose or something on the bottom and not all the way down. Mike

I thought that, but I never unclipped the DS bottom of the shroud when I was working on it and slid the old fan clutch out, and the top bolts are also in now too.

Ok, I feel silly for this one, but I just replaced the fan clutch, belts, idler and AC pulley. Fun and easy, and when it idles it is far quieter than when it was running the original pulleys and gates belts. The difference is kind of amazing. However, I went for test drive and got the buzzsaw sound. So I turned around slowly made it home.

Looking at the shroud there is far more clearance for the blades on the top than on the bottom. In fact, when it's idling I can pull back on the radiator a bit and get the blades to touch the shroud and make a noise. I did take the water pump pulley off to, but I assume that can only go back on one way? The shroud can only go one way too it seems.

View attachment 2506722
I did the same job today plus water pump and tstat. Did you watch it while it was running? Everything smooth? How hard did you lean on the radiator?

I think the shroud isn’t where it should be. Check the interface with the battery box. The shroud goes between the radiator and box.

Last edited:
It's all smooth running. If the radiator slid down, there would be more space between the blades on the bottom and they would hit on the top, right?

I think the shroud isn’t where it should be. Check the interface with the battery box. The shroud goes between the radiator and box.

^^^^^

This.

Also, you shouldn't be able to move your radiator if the mounts are good. The bottom of the shroud needs to sit behind the clips and check the fit at the battery box (as mentioned above).

Lastly with the engine running....reach over and 'blip' the throttle at the intake and see if your engine torques the fan blade into the shroud. You might have a torn engine mount.

Just an update to close this out, the shroud had a broken tab on the bottom so it was popping out on me and . And in true MUD fashion....

I also noticed the radiator was weeping a bit, so I figured I might was well replace that too and all the mounting rubber, hardware and hoses -- on, and the thermostat, and the water bypass gaskets, and then since I'm doing the fan clutch I might was well do the water pump. It would be a shame to not do all the trans cooler lines too since they are so easy to reach; and that power steering pump is weeping and the replacement on the shelf in my garage is just looking at me, so i did that and all the PS hoses too. Ok, "belt change" done, whew!

Works great now!

Seems kinda irresponsible to not just do the head gasket as pm while you are in there! :rofl:

View attachment 2506722
see if the Shroud bolt holes are elongated. If that's the case and it's adjustable. There should be no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom