Late Model Seat Options Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
I'm looking for recommendations on seats for a later model (1979-1984) 40 series. My BJ44 didn't have the oem seats in them and I now have 60 series seats installed, but would love to upgrade to something more comfortable for longer trips.

My wish list is as follows:
- fits with the stock center console and seatbelts
- can be mounted on the oem rails would be nice but not necessary.
- lumbar support and better bolstering would be nice
- material doesn't matter too much, but something that would clean easier than not would be good
- manual adjustment.
- look moderately stockish (not really into the racing seat look)
- (EDIT) - Not against buying used or pulling at a wrecker.
- not jeep seats... Just because. 😜

Any thoughts (and pictures) would be great!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention... I'm not against pulling something from a wrecker or buying used... I know there are some really cool seats out there from other markers and models.

Previous owner installed a roll cage with a frame for the seats mounted to the roll cage.
PXL_20201115_060249745.jpg

But, the seats that were in it were kinda poorly mounted, 1" bars welded to the seat rails and bolts pass through the bar, instead of the seat rail.

So, I bought some new seats off craiglist, from a 20 year old BMW (I think it was a 5 series). And cut up and rewelded the mounting frame.

PXL_20201115_060241477.jpg

Your stock seat belts and center console probably won't fit anymore. Because the seats are a bit larger, and have some plastic on the sides, my old tuffy console doesn't fit between them.

But there's no reason a similar frame can't be built that mounts to the floor on the stock mounting locations and allows space for the center console using a pretty wide range of seats. Or just welding some new tubing into the stock mounting frames.

These are the seats I’m considering

I replaced my stock seats with those exact seats earlier this year, and I'm very happy with them.

They fit with my Tuffy center console and stock seat belts. Don't know why they wouldn't work with the little stock console.
They can't (easily) be mounted on the stock rails, but with their mounts, the seats will slide back quite a bit farther than stock seats (if you're tall like me).
The foam is thick and firm; much better lumbar support and bolstering than stock.
Easy to clean vinyl; manual adjustment.
Looks fairly close to stock.

Because of the thick dense foam, you will sit an inch or more higher than in the stock seats, even using the lowest mounting option on their brackets.

My only dislike with them was the mounting brackets sold for these seats; they were very crudely made and required modification to work (with the lowest height setting).

Pictures of them in my 1980:

IMG_1335[1].JPG

And a little more progress, just have to finish cleaning up the seats (i.e. chewing gum, hard candy and pennies on the tracks) and bolt them in. (and figure out how to mount the seat belt buckles, that bolt to the seats, cause BMW uses different size buckles).
PXL_20201125_002159881.jpg

I pulled mine out of a ~2001 monstrous sport. My only complaint would be the height of the seat. It’s doable and my second version of my seat cradle might look something like what @kerplunk has made. My only real worry is this leaves the passenger really high still. The gas tank is the issue, but I haven’t seen an solution I like yet.
Til I figure the gas tank location, I’m very happy with my seats. One day I’ll hook up the seat heaters too...

BTW, stock 79+ center consoles are wider than the narrower early one. Which doesn't matter if you're not using one or using a Tuffy console.

I've got an 8" wide console squeezed between the stock seats in my '74.

BTW, stock 79+ center consoles are wider than the narrower early one. Which doesn't matter if you're not using one or using a Tuffy console.

I've got an 8" wide console squeezed between the stock seats in my '74.

My 79 had the same console as the earlier trucks. I think the heater/console came with the 81 model year (8/80).

I replaced my stock seats with those exact seats earlier this year, and I'm very happy with them.

They fit with my Tuffy center console and stock seat belts. Don't know why they wouldn't work with the little stock console.
They can't (easily) be mounted on the stock rails, but with their mounts, the seats will slide back quite a bit farther than stock seats (if you're tall like me).
The foam is thick and firm; much better lumbar support and bolstering than stock.
Easy to clean vinyl; manual adjustment.
Looks fairly close to stock.

Because of the thick dense foam, you will sit an inch or more higher than in the stock seats, even using the lowest mounting option on their brackets.

My only dislike with them was the mounting brackets sold for these seats; they were very crudely made and required modification to work (with the lowest height setting).

Pictures of them in my 1980:

View attachment 2505774
Thanks for posting the information. Those are the exact seats I am thinking of getting for mine. I have been debating either getting new foam and covers for my original seats - which are in pretty rough shape - or just getting those Pro-90 seats. I think you just made my decision for me. Happy Thanksgiving!

And, since I've been inspired to post a response with a picture of the seats:
PXL_20201125_234010102.jpg

From your wish list:

- Mounted to an entirely custom built frame, keeping the stock seatbelts oughta be possible, but I have no idea how they mount.
- They are wide, not a lot of room for a center console between them.
- Not going to just fit on OEM rails. Maybe with some tubes welded to them.
- Support is great. More comfortable than most I've tried.
- Leather. And thick, high quality leather. Easy to clean.
- Not Manual adjusting. But controls are on the seat and only required a 12v positive and a ground, all other wiring is within the seat.
- moderately stylish. Doesn't look like a wannabe drag racer.

Those are nice! Love the build you have going on there...

Two things to clarify on my wish list.
1) since the truck is a 1981 the rails design would keep them just above floor and probably the same height. Also this means I have the newer and wider center console.
2) my truck is 24v and that is one reason I was looking for manual, as well as not adding heaters to the wish list, though that would be super nice!

Keep em coming!

Those are nice! Love the build you have going on there...

Two things to clarify on my wish list.
1) since the truck is a 1981 the rails design would keep them just above floor and probably the same height. Also this means I have the newer and wider center console.
2) my truck is 24v and that is one reason I was looking for manual, as well as not adding heaters to the wish list, though that would be super nice!

Keep em coming!
I've never paid too much attention to how the seats mount on an '81, but you're right, just building a from like that if probably easier on an older model where that was kinda the original design more or less.
And, for just a bunch of switches and motors, I do wonder how sensitive to voltage they would be. It'd be a bit of an waste if it failed, but I wouldn't be surprised if seats like these just worked at 24v. (heaters would be more likely to have issues)

I'm looking for recommendations on seats for a later model (1979-1984) 40 series. My BJ44 didn't have the oem seats in them and I now have 60 series seats installed, but would love to upgrade to something more comfortable for longer trips.

My wish list is as follows:
- fits with the stock center console and seatbelts
- can be mounted on the oem rails would be nice but not necessary.
- lumbar support and better bolstering would be nice
- material doesn't matter too much, but something that would clean easier than not would be good
- manual adjustment.
- look moderately stockish (not really into the racing seat look)
- (EDIT) - Not against buying used or pulling at a wrecker.
- not jeep seats... Just because. 😜

Any thoughts (and pictures) would be great!

Maybe too racing seat look for you, but I saw some cool looking seats on Summit Racing's web site the other day at a very good price, about 1/2 the Procar seats others have mentioned.

I did the Pro-Car seats in my 75 and loved them, very nice option, good value - here's a pic with the Tuffy Console installed.
I considered them for my 78 but decided to redo the stock seats to keep the originality of this 40. My 75 had a SBC 350 so I went for aftermarket comfort over re-doing the stock seats.

Interior Driver.jpg

I've never paid too much attention to how the seats mount on an '81

Completely different mounting system, since the gas tank was moved from under the passenger seat to under the rear of the tub. No tool box under the driver's seat either. The late model lower seat rails just bolt directly to the tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom