Driver side third window has no latch — wtf? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
One of the WEIRDEST things I’ve found on my new FZJ80 is how on the driver side it only has one latch and can only open one way. Just looking to see what people think. I find it weird and confusing.

The LX450 had a car phone option. The antenna for said phone is in the rear most driver sliding window, hence it does not move. Not exactly dealing with some plebeian Toyota.

Other things you’ll notice in the future:

No speakers in the rear headliner
A useless subwoofer where a second excuse for a cup holder would be (assuming it’s never been removed)
An odd cylinder mounted on the front core support for the climate control
An odd sensor up by the window defrost vents on the dash, also for the climate control
A different wiring arrangement in the dash due to the climate control and stereo differences between the 80 and LX
Pink panties in the glove box (some of the more tenured members here can educate you on this one)

The LX450 had a car phone option. The antenna for said phone is in the rear most driver sliding window, hence it does not move. Not exactly dealing with some plebeian Toyota.

Other things you’ll notice in the future:

No speakers in the rear headliner
A useless subwoofer where a second excuse for a cup holder would be (assuming it’s never been removed)
An odd cylinder mounted on the front core support for the climate control
An odd sensor up by the window defrost vents on the dash, also for the climate control
A different wiring arrangement in the dash due to the climate control and stereo differences between the 80 and LX
Pink panties in the glove box (some of the more tenured members here can educate you on this one)
So my window “thing” is a normal thing then? I was thinking maybe it was replaced at some point. It is a Toyota window, has the badging. Also, “Not exactly dealing with some plebeian Toyota.” LMAO 😂

So my window “thing” is a normal thing then? I was thinking maybe it was replaced at some point. It is a Toyota window, has the badging. Also, “Not exactly dealing with some plebeian Toyota.” LMAO 😂

Totally normal. The windows still say Toyota, but if you look at the factory “tint” on the windows, the 80 has a more grey color and the LX has more of a bronze hue.

The persuit of perfection. Or, you know, loopholes around threatened tariffs on Japanese imports.

Also, if your truck has the rear spoiler it isn’t black.

There’s an Araco sticker on the inside of the passenger door. No, yours isn’t special or odd, they were all produced at Araco, which is now Toyota Auto Body.

3B549A16-ECBB-448A-AB08-ED1554593A59.jpeg

Well, good to know. One thing off my mind. I have a water leak coming from both windows, and thinking about taking them out and cleaning everything and probably new seals, but that’s another thread in the near feature. Thank you for your knowledge! I will check these out tomorrow. 👍🏼

One more thing, if you have an unlocked truck, the LX floor harness already has the wiring in place going to where the rear locker harness would be. If you source locked axles with wiring, switch and the ECU, it’s a plug and play operation and easier than retrofitting them into an 80.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

If the rear windows are leaking, check the runs. If they have a bunch of dirt and crap in them, they won’t provide proper seal and once the run floods, it will get inside.

I usually need to hit the runs with an air gun every so often, but we don’t get a ton of rain here in Phoenix (especially this year), so it isn’t exactly high on my priority list.

That’s actually pretty cool to know! Fortunately for me, I am 3x locked. I give you a solid 11/10 for your Ted talk. Also, my brother is currently giving me s*** about how Toyota > Lexus, he has a 96 FZJ80 x3 locked

I think I’ll start there. I do see it puddling at the bottom of each window. But it’s also leaking from the top, about in the middle where the two windows meet. Here’s a link to my thread if you’d like to know more: How does this trim go on?

If the windows have aftermarket tint on them, it’s possible the tint guy screwed up the weather strip between the two windows.

One of the WEIRDEST things I’ve found on my new FZJ80 is how on the driver side it only has one latch and can only open one way. Just looking to see what people think. I find it weird and confusing.

That's because you're not working with a Toyota FZJ80, you're working with a Lexus LX450. Its the upscale version.
Wait till you go buy parts at the local Toyota pusher and tell them its for an LX450. "Oh we don't sell Lexus parts" LOL
Then you're back to driving a plain and simple FZJ80 again... just to shut the guy up so you can get the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom