OEM wheels - Scrap value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched but didn’t see much.

The low demand for OEM wheels has me wondering if anyone has just taken them to a scrap yard for a little cash. If so and they accepted them - about how much did you get?

A local recycler here lists value of Al wheels at about 0.42 cents per pound if they are clean, so a 25lb wheel might be worth $10? I have seen Al wheels just tossed on the pile where I recycle metal for no cost.

Is there any market on eBay? While not a lot of money, I have to imagine they are worth at least the $99 each they are being sold for by other sellers, especially if they have decent tires on them. I tend to hold onto my stock rims in case I ever want to return to stock, so I don't really know from personal experience.

Our local metals recycling places aren't even interested in paying for a small load like a couple of rims. They'll let you drop them off for free, but that size of load isn't worth their time for the minuscule scrap value.

They fit Tundra, 100 series too. Get the right keywords on Craigslist and FB market A bit late, but still a decent time to sell for someone looking for wheels for snow tires. For rims only expect to get 250-400 for a set of 4.

I sold a set to a friend with a tundra who wanted a set of wheels for winter tires. I didn't actively market them as such, he overhead me talking about what I was going to do with my stock set and approached me. So that is one way to market them this time of year.

Last edited:
They are roughly 32 pounds each. 150 pounds of aluminum that doesn’t require unloading from a trailer is a fair amount and most scrap yards are going to consider it worth the work to give you some cash. Years ago I sold 5 or 6 radiators and they happily paid for them. Granted no paint so probably a different grade of scrap, but still.

What's wrong with factory wheels? Am I the only one that thinks they look good?
I’m with you, I swapped my Lx570 wheels for LC wheels and am very happy with the swap. I was worried about the +60 offset, but they work well with the 285 width.

Nothing. They are sharp. Just want to have something different than the rest of the 200s I see. Nothing more nothing less. If I end up keeping them on, I’ll continue to enjoy the look. It was just a question out of curiousity.

Last edited:
They look good on my tundra, I just need one more for a full size spare.

B4E48306-B532-4AAB-8420-ED8F4AF2EF19.jpeg

Same here. I really like the '08-'11 and '13-'15 5-spokes - esp. the '13-'15s. They look great, are aesthetically simple, and are very easy to clean.

I've been told scrap prices aren't too hot right now, haven't confirmed though

I don't think anything is wrong with them. I think they look great as well. I personally wanted 17" wheels as opposed to 18".

+1 Same here, I sold my set 2 years ago for $500 inc spare. Tires had decent tread life left. Someone wanted them for a winter tire set. I'm contemplating about doing a winter set as well with a second set of new RW wheels I got lying around.

This is a timely question. I have my new oem spare. I never heard back from the guy who got the other 4 wheels. I need to find it a home or to scrap it goes.

On a side note- those who have replaced their front bumper, did you toss out/ recycle/ cash in the aluminum crash bar?

I was thinking to scrap sell mine, but it sat for months until I finally just put it in my recycle bin. The city picked it up just like the rest of my recyclables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom