Anyone have an OEM harmonic balancer nearby they could look at? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone could confirm the markings on a OEM harmonic balancer(FZJ80). I see a stylized ? AT and a number 2 on the used balancer I just took off, not sure if it's original or an aftermarket replacement.
The markings are located deep on the front center casting 180 degrees apart at 12 and 6 O'clock.

WP_20201119_16_08_25_Rich.jpg

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone could confirm the markings on a OEM harmonic balancer(FZJ80). I see a stylized ? AT and a number 2 on the used balancer I just took off, not sure if it's original or an aftermarket replacement.
The markings are located deep on the front center casting 180 degrees apart at 12 and 6 O'clock.

View attachment 2500536

Yes, same markings on mine which is original to the truck and a '94.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to look at another HB which is likely the original part, it has a number 1 and the same stylized leaning AT on it. So wondering which company is AT??

And the reason for asking this is that I found a new Dorman made-in-USA HB which has the same markings on the casting.

So does that mean the castings are recycled (it looks new), or are they made for Dorman by the same company that makes them for Toyota??

New Toyota HB? Can you post up a photo or two, at least one as above?

Onur: thanks for that info (I figured one of the parts gurus would know).

What's interesting is that the box that the Dorman part came in says Made in USA, but the casting is stamped AT. So maybe assembled in the US from AT castings (? new or recycled) or made entirely by AT for Dorman, or??

OK, thanks.

Some photos of the aftermarket balancer to compare with the Toyota HB photos above. Note that the casting marks, the color/location of the inspection marks, and the rust proof coating on the hub appear similar to the Toyota part.

WP_20201119_21_32_21_Rich.jpg

WP_20201119_21_35_15_Rich.jpg

WP_20201119_21_35_42_Rich.jpg

Last edited:
Found the Toyota part number (13470-66030) on the rubber ring, very strange. So either Dorman is selling the same part (Toyota/AT), or maybe someone returned a Toyota part in the Dorman box that I bought?? The balancer does have some paint scuffed off like its been riding in its box a long time, but the hub shows no evidence of it ever being installed on an engine.

Couldn't read or get a clear photo of the tiny numbers as it was so put a smear of white paint on the tiny numbers, then swiped it off:

Dorman HB with Toyota part number.jpg

Last edited:
Curiosity got the best of me so I called Dorman and asked their tech line, where was this HB manufactured, he checks his systems; Chyna!! But the box says Made in USA?? They don't know the reason for the discrepancy.

Then I mention that the Toyota and Dorman HB's both appear to be the same part, same casting marks, same pencil inspection marks, and with a Toyota part number on the rubber, how is that possible?? He said they both could have been made in the same factory in Chyna, one line for Toyota (or one batch), then another line (or the next batch) made for Dorman using the same parts.

Either way, the only difference I can see between the Toyota part and the Dorman part (from the photos) is that the paint on the Toyota part appears better/thicker, the paint on the Dorman part appears very thin and is wearing off in the box.

FWIW

Last edited:
AT= Aisin Takaoka

Part of the Aisin Seiki Corporation.

Part of the Toyota Group keiretsu.
See, told you he was better than Google

Is there a moral to this story?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom