2F Nightmare Saga- Looking For Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ooops! I meant to take after pictures but I forgot. Got her on the engine stand today, plugged and sealed up and power washed. I have a few pictures of the before below. Some of the connections coming off the smog manifold to the head look really bad, one is completely rusted away and open. I have been soaking them with PB Blast. Any other ideas on how to get them out? Easy out maybe? Im worried about this, potential nightmare. Pics of the bad ones and a good one below.

IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

Manually (by hand) wire brush. Mix ATF w/ acetone 50/50. Soak w/ the mix. Heat applied (just simple propane, not map) acts w/ the acetone and will suck the atf in. I find going a smidge tighter then go left sometimes helps break the seal too.
I don’t know much about those air rails but are they attached like the fuel line to the carb? By a double nut? Ask around.

Manually (by hand) wire brush. Mix ATF w/ acetone 50/50. Soak w/ the mix. Heat applied (just simple propane, not map) acts w/ the acetone and will suck the atf in. I find going a smidge tighter then go left sometimes helps break the seal too.
I don’t know much about those air rails but are they attached like the fuel line to the carb? By a double nut? Ask around.

Will try! Thanks.

I see a Porsche hiding in the back with a roll bad and a number on the rear window. What sort of games do you play with that toy? Hill climb, auto X, track days?

My dad and I both have '86 911's we do HPDE's with. That's his, it's cherry and really proper. Mine is a basket case but has 3.6. Both lots of fun!

Will try! Thanks.

My dad and I both have '86 911's we do HPDE's with. That's his, it's cherry and really proper. Mine is a basket case but has 3.6. Both lots of fun!
Funny how Toyota’s and Porsches share garages. I’ve got a 1993 964 converted to Euro RS spec. Went to the factory and got the build sheets and was able to get all the Euro RS parts before they became unobtainable.

Funny how Toyota’s and Porsches share garages. I’ve got a 1993 964 converted to Euro RS spec. Went to the factory and got the build sheets and was able to get all the Euro RS parts before they became unobtainable.

Ooooo!!! Hell yeah- killer. I would love to see pics. I have a little air-cooled Porsche business if you want to check it out!

I would agree with FJ40jim.
His assessment makes the most sense, and I would agree that a replacement 2F is your best bet going forward.
I've heard that custom head gaskets can be made with extra thickness to compensate for the decked block/milled head issue but thats not the best solution for long term reliability. It's tough to determine exactly how much you need to compensate for and the extra thickness creates its own integrity issues.
If you go with a rebuilt 2F, definitely follow recommendation from others who have had good experiences with the builders.
Hopefully you can get through it and put it behind you.

I broke a couple off. Here’s what I did - so far so good.

Hey guys, daily update!

I have the old motor pretty much ready to pull. The new motor has almost all the accessories off, manifold off and most of the smog stuff taken care of. I have a few questions for any of the experts following along.

1. 5/6 of the feeds off the head into the smog manifold came loose with no issue. I have the brass plugs for them, should I seal them with anything? Or just thread them in? (Hopefully easy out + overnight PB Blast gets the 6th)

2. There is a weird chunk missing from one of the intake ports (close up, third pic). Is this something I should worry about?

3. The head gasket is pretty deteriorated between the head and the block. Is this something I should worry about? I am trying to just get this thing on the road and not dig any deeper into this thing.

4. I assume this thing (last pic, came off from what the oil filter mounts to) measures oil pressure? The wire is broken on both of the ones I have super short. Is there I away I can open this up to get to where the wiring ties in and put a longer piece in?

Thanks everyone!

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

I personally would replace the HG with a Toyota one now, while it's easy, BUT if compression was good and you're in a rush to beat winter, completely understandable that you want to get it in and done (like sex? 👍 )

Yes, oil pressure sender in last pic. Fix the wire @ToyotaMatt has repair kits for that on his website: VintageTEqParts.com

Hey guys, daily update!

I have the old motor pretty much ready to pull. The new motor has almost all the accessories off, manifold off and most of the smog stuff taken care of. I have a few questions for any of the experts following along.

1. 5/6 of the feeds off the head into the smog manifold came loose with no issue. I have the brass plugs for them, should I seal them with anything? Or just thread them in? (Hopefully easy out + overnight PB Blast gets the 6th)

2. There is a weird chunk missing from one of the intake ports (close up, third pic). Is this something I should worry about?

3. The head gasket is pretty deteriorated between the head and the block. Is this something I should worry about? I am trying to just get this thing on the road and not dig any deeper into this thing.

4. I assume this thing (last pic, came off from what the oil filter mounts to) measures oil pressure? The wire is broken on both of the ones I have super short. Is there I away I can open this up to get to where the wiring ties in and put a longer piece in?

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 2501663

View attachment 2501664

View attachment 2501665

View attachment 2501666

View attachment 2501667
Sender is easy to rewire. Rubber boot just pulls off. Be sure to pay attention where the wire attaches and throw a piece of tape or a 1/2” length of vac hose (as a cap) over the tab to the side. If you mistakenly hook up the gauge to that one you’ll fry it right off the bat.

Last edited:
Call me a chick, oh yeah I am! But that stand looks flimsy for the weight of a 2F. Wear good steel toe boots while your using it.

She is absolutely right. That stand is very dangerous for the weight of the 2f. Get a proper stand that is not shaped like a ‘T’. And even then support it with a Jack stand.

A7CE35F9-9B73-4E6D-BED2-01D773DCDD6F.png

She is absolutely right. That stand is very dangerous for the weight of the 2f. Get a proper stand that is not shaped like a ‘T’. And even then support it with a Jack stand.

View attachment 2501832
Jon!! I killed my jack stand with my 2f, turned that round hole to rotate into an egg and the motor fell out.
but here is the real question to anyone who removes their 2f from their rigs and rebuilds them... why? If your doing that much work why not put a rebuilt 350 in it for less than a 2f rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom