Key Code Mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
Help me solve a mystery:

I have a perfectly functioning key that works in all three exterior lock cylinders as well as the ignition. Since I lost my spare I pulled the passenger side lock cylinder to retrieve the key code which was clearly stamped on top of the cylinder. I then contacted @ToyotaMatt who promptly cut three great keys for me. The keys looked great but were unfortunately a distinctly different profile than my working key. Different enough that it couldn’t be from my key being simply worn. For example my key had material where the new key did not. Being the nice guy Matt is he cut another key to see if it was human error but the key was again the same unmatched profile as before.

Today I stopped by the dealer to have a key cut from the VIN. The dealer looked up the VIN and it cross referenced to the same key code that’s present on my lock cylinder. They then cut a key which resulted in the same unamtched profile which Matt supplied which of course didn’t work in any of the locks or ignition. The dealer then trace cut a few keys from my working key and they function flawlessly

I can only think of three scenarios:

1. The lock cylinder was incorrectly stamped at the factory.
2. The Toyota reference material which correlates key code to key profile is incorrect.
3. All three lock cylinders and ignition were re-pinned at some point yet the original lock cylinder casing with the original key code was retained. (I’m not sure why someone would go to so much trouble or if it’s even possible to re-pin while retaining the original cylinder casing.)

I would like to have the correct key code eventually. Just not sure how to figure it out at this point.

Seems likely that if the lock codes were all wrong, Toyota would have noticed that by now, so you can probably rule out #2. Also #1, if the VIN matches the lock code.

I'd have to guess, based on the VIN bringing up the same code, that the cylinders were all re-keyed. I was under the impression that re-keying that type of lock was not practical, but maybe it is at least possible.

Reactions: MoJ
Help me solve a mystery:

I have a perfectly functioning key that works in all three exterior lock cylinders as well as the ignition. Since I lost my spare I pulled the passenger side lock cylinder to retrieve the key code which was clearly stamped on top of the cylinder. I then contacted @ToyotaMatt who promptly cut three great keys for me. The keys looked great but were unfortunately a distinctly different profile than my working key. Different enough that it couldn’t be from my key being simply worn. For example my key had material where the new key did not. Being the nice guy Matt is he cut another key to see if it was human error but the key was again the same unmatched profile as before.

Today I stopped by the dealer to have a key cut from the VIN. The dealer looked up the VIN and it cross referenced to the same key code that’s present on my lock cylinder. They then cut a key which resulted in the same unamtched profile which Matt supplied which of course didn’t work in any of the locks or ignition. The dealer then trace cut a few keys from my working key and they function flawlessly

I can only think of three scenarios:

1. The lock cylinder was incorrectly stamped at the factory.
2. The Toyota reference material which correlates key code to key profile is incorrect.
3. All three lock cylinders and ignition were re-pinned at some point yet the original lock cylinder casing with the original key code was retained. (I’m not sure why someone would go to so much trouble or if it’s even possible to re-pin while retaining the original cylinder casing.)

I would like to have the correct key code eventually. Just not sure how to figure it out at this point.
Sounds like #3 is most likely. What seems reasonable (only saying that because it is a service we currently offer) is that someone replaced the locks and re-pinned them all to the new ignition cylinder. Since ignition cylinder is not really easily re-pinned (at least not without some amount of destructive disassembly), best course of action is to match the other cylinders to the ignition.

Seems likely that if the lock codes were all wrong, Toyota would have noticed that by now, so you can probably rule out #2.

I'd have to guess, based on the VIN bringing up the same code, that the cylinders were all re-keyed. I was under the impression that re-keying that type of lock was not practical, but maybe it is at least possible.

Looking at the cylinder I don’t see how it could be re-keyed without actually replacing the cylinder (and the key code stamped on it) but I’m certainly no locksmith.

Sounds like #3 is most likely. What seems reasonable (only saying that because it is a service we currently offer) is that someone replaced the locks and re-pinned them all to the new ignition cylinder. Since ignition cylinder is not really easily re-pinned (at least not without some amount of destructive disassembly), best course of action is to match the other cylinders to the ignition.
OK, so it is possible to re-key while retaining the original casing? That must be it then

OK, so it is possible to re-key while retaining the original casing? That must be it then
100% possible! It's how we put together kits with all one key and all new locks for folks.

100% possible! It's how we put together kits with all one key and all new locks for folks.
Thanks. Is the key code on the ignition accessible without major surgery?

No. 4: You bought this Cruiser. Please tell me you bought the wheels too.

Thanks. Is the key code on the ignition accessible without major surgery?
There is no code on the ignition unfortunately. There is a code on the new keys we send out with the kits though, but I don't know how to reverse engineer the codes from the keys...

I can safely rule that out. But thanks!

There is no code on the ignition unfortunately. There is a code on the new keys we send out with the kits though, but I don't know how to reverse engineer the codes from the keys...
Thank you. I was hoping there was a code on the ignition so I could officially call it mystery solved.

You can see in this pic that each of the cylinders we start with have their own keys and key code tags attached. If you look close, you can also see that the code on the ignition housing is ground off. I don't know if that is the case for all of them, or what. I have not seen any intact codes on any of the ignitions I've pulled myself. That does NOT mean they aren't there...

IMG_1649.jpg

This pic is post "combining", all using the key from the ignition, which you can see still has the little code tag attached. This means that as long as you write the code in your user manual and put the tag in a safe place, you will always be able to have the dealer cut a replacement key off that code.

IMG_1650 (1).jpg

Thank you. I was hoping there was a code on the ignition so I could officially call it mystery solved.

Might be worth popping the ignition cylinder out to see if the code is still visible?? As mentioned in pics above, everything I've seen was ground off.

This is funny.. I have a 1995 that only came with one key that just barely worked(jiggling) in the passenger and tailgate cylinder. However I went to the dealer and had one code cut. Totally different just like yours. Never solved the mystery but I just chocked it up to the original owner replacing all the locks. This didn't entirely sit right with me though because when installing an alarm the ignition cylinder looked untouched.
So as impossible for toyota, it seems like #2 or similar is occurring.
I think I will pull my cylinders as well.

Last edited:
This is funny.. I have a 1995 that only came with one key that just barely worked(jiggling) in the passenger and tailgate cylinder. However I went to the dealer and had one code cut. Totally different just like yours. Never solved the mystery but I just chocked it up to the original owner replacing all the locks. This didn't entirely sit right with me though because when installing an alarm the ignition cylinder looked untouched.

That’s interesting as mine is a ‘95 as well. I have a detailed history that doesn’t indicate any previous issue. Also tonight I had someone mention they’ve ran into Toyota key code errors. Hmmm

I think I will pull my cylinders as well.
By very random chance does your code end in 3?

Very funny. I will not bother you with a post amount the key/lock situation on that truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom