Aftermarket head unit troubleshoot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a Sony aftermarket head unit in my 80 around January of this year. All was fine until my alternator failed and I had to jump my car (multiple times). One of those times may have blown my radio fuse(s) with improper jump connections. I have since replaced the 15a radio/dash fuse that were blown and I also replaced the fuse on my head unit that was also blown. Reconnected the headunit and no response.

I plugged in the stock radio and it fires up fine, so now my attention is at the wiring harness and the head unit itself. I checked every wire in the wiring harness using my multimeter to check if there was any breakage or if I did a s***ty soldering job - all wires have a solid connection. I checked the red power wire when the car started on the wiring harness and that also came back fine.

So I thought perhaps my headunit was just fried - so I bought a new one. Connected it...then nothing.

This is where I'm stuck. What else can I check to diagnose the issue? Not an electrical expert so there has to be something I'm missing.

x-posting for more visibility.

I installed a Sony aftermarket head unit in my 80 around January of this year. All was fine until my alternator failed and I had to jump my car (multiple times). One of those times may have blown my radio fuse(s) with improper jump connections. I have since replaced the 15a radio/dash fuse that were blown and I also replaced the fuse on my head unit that was also blown. Reconnected the headunit and no response.

I plugged in the stock radio and it fires up fine, so now my attention is at the wiring harness and the head unit itself. I checked every wire in the wiring harness using my multimeter to check if there was any breakage or if I did a s***ty soldering job - all wires have a solid connection. I checked the red power wire when the car started on the wiring harness and that also came back fine.

So I thought perhaps my headunit was just fried - so I bought a new one. Connected it...then nothing.

This is where I'm stuck. What else can I check to diagnose the issue? Not an electrical expert so there has to be something I'm missing.

x-posting for more visibility.
Does the head unit work when you power it directly from the battery?

Fuse blows on the HU when testing. I must have a short somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom