04 vs 06VVTI LC100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wanted the VVTI so I looked everywhere for a clean 06-07. I didn't know about the air pump concern at the time. I also strongly considered a 98-99 with rear locker and no nav, but those trucks were harder to find in good condition and felt sluggish to me in comparison. Whichever you choose, I think you'll be happy.

I avoided VVTi for this reason. The fix with OEM part for this is not cheap.

Hey, thank you for chiming in. So, in some ways regarding reliability a 04 5 speed non VVTI may actually be a more reliable truck? I don't tow anything and I drive slow in general. I was able to test drive a 05 the other day, the frame was in terrible condition but it seemed plenty powerful and had no problem merging onto the highway or getting to speed from a red light. I want what will be most reliable and even if it's only slight, better with fuel.

It is sold as "for off-road or exempt vehicle use". I want to keep my vehicle legal as a daily driver. Last time I checked, it is a Federal crime for tampering with emission equipment.
It is not a crime to repair a vehicle and as long as you are still compliant with your state's emissions laws (most are much less strict than what an EPA/CARB requires for a 50-state vehicle) then there's no issue.

It is not a crime to repair a vehicle and as long as you are still compliant with your state's emissions laws (most are much less strict than what an EPA/CARB requires for a 50-state vehicle) then there's no issue.

Of course it's not a crime to repair a vehicle but it is a federal crime to tamper with emission devices, which includes removing them.

@davidodysseus : Assuming all else is equal or close to it (rust, maintenance, condition etc.), go with the '06. As others have said, buy the newest cruiser you can afford.

The other difference between those years (and a big factor) is AHC. As an '06 owner, I love it and when properly maintained is a very useful and very reliable feature in a lot of ways. However, if neglected, AHC can be a pain and cause headaches that will have you wondering why the hell you bought the '06. Knowing what I know now, if I were looking into a Cruiser with AHC, there would be a lengthy checklist to go through just for that system alone.

I will say I appreciate the extra 15% power when merging on the highway. I don't generally drive all the fast but it's nice on occasion when I do need to get moving to get up to the speed of the traffic.

All of this is to say that instead of focusing on just the specific differences between the engines, I'd much rather focus on the whole truck to determine whether it was a good buy. How were they maintained? Is rust a concern on either? That engine replacement in the '06 is a bit of a red flag and you'd want to make sure it was replaced "in-like kind" and that the job was done right.

I think if you want some more honest feedback, try to get details/pictures on the two vehicles and post them here, we might have more insight to help with the decision. Best of luck!

I think the EPA would disagree. EPA rules still apply to vehicle owners even when the state laws don't duplicate the EPA regs. The only time you can be in compliance installing an aftermarket component in an emissions system is "when an individual or company has a “reasonable basis” to believe their actions do not increase emissions." The secondary air delete kits pretty obviously fail to meet this. The only compliant repair is to get the system working again.

There are many people and fleets that have been successfully prosecuted for violating EPA regs, with no regard for what might have been legally enforced in their home state. EPA supersedes the state's rules.

Also interesting:

Q2: Am I protected from selling a defeat device or tampering as long as I inform my customers that they can only use my parts “off-road” or “for racing use only” or that the parts are “not for installation on emission-controlled vehicles”?
A: No, if the parts are designed for and intended to be installed on motor vehicles, EPA considers you to still be liable under the CAA prohibited acts. The use of the motor vehicle is irrelevant.

Simple little legalese language doesn't protect sellers of the defeat devices. They just need to hope the EPA doesn't decide they're worth prosecuting.

The fortunate part for most individuals choosing to delete/modifying stuff is that you're at a very low risk of actually facing any penalties. Similar to failing to disclose income to the IRS, your chances of getting caught are very low. If you are caught and prosecuted, though, the penalties can be severe.

Don't mean to be preachy on this stuff as I have a few non-compliant setups for my Supra, but I don't want people being led into a false sense of security.

Hey, thank you for chiming in. So, in some ways regarding reliability a 04 5 speed non VVTI may actually be a more reliable truck? I don't tow anything and I drive slow in general. I was able to test drive a 05 the other day, the frame was in terrible condition but it seemed plenty powerful and had no problem merging onto the highway or getting to speed from a red light. I want what will be most reliable and even if it's only slight, better with fuel.

They are both very reliable if you don't mind spending extra money to fix the 06. 06-07 models seem to have more issues based on forum reading. For me the sweet spot is 2003 model, 5 speed with tranny dipstick. There is no back up camera but that can be added. This is not relevant if you don't DIY.

Just another point to note with the VVTI the cam seals are difficult to change by yourself if you intend to change them during the water pump timing belt replacement.

Just another point to note with the VVTI the cam seals are difficult to change by yourself if you intend to change them during the water pump timing belt replacement.
theyre not that bad dude. If you’re someone that can do the tbelt on your own, I wouldn’t even think about this.

If you live in or travel to hilly area often, or if you need to tow a trailer, the 06-07 is easier to drive esp. for longer distance. Driving in city doesn't make difference which model year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom