80 vs 60 steering box for Ram assist ALSO why am I burning up pumps like crazy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not sure. I would assume very hot/boiling
I've always ran a steering cooler, before I did my big cross country trip I slapped in another steering cooler that was double the size in attempt to hopefully mitigate issue, no change through.
I've noticed that if I don't turn the fan on my fluid gets too hot offroad even with the large cooler. With the large cooler and the fan it works great.

Matt, this is generally the location we discussed after stopping but the shop last night. Would eliminate the potential for starvation you have with the current setup.

I know it doesn't answer the original question, but until you haven't ram installed, you won't really notice much difference....

@RLMS just started making reservoir brackets for gen3 v8s. Not sure if it works with your setup or not

Yes. I know it sounds nuts, but from my research, hydraulic systems and those with assist (factory designed) carry a lot of fluid.
I figure whomever designs the OE hydraulic steering systems has some understanding of the requirements.

Factory PS systems with saginaw pumps didn't have more than two quarts capacity. The reservoir was just the can on the pump.

Factory PS systems with saginaw pumps didn't have more than two quarts capacity. The reservoir was just the can on the pump.

He's correct if you look at it from the standpoint of industrial hydraulic applications... like a digger, or a dump truck. Rule of thumb, from my understanding, is 1/2 the GPM of the system.

But like you said I have never seen that much PS fluid on a off-road truck

Who's running vented and who's running pressurized reservoirs??

New pump showed up yesterday. Highly considering moving reservoir to the motor to be directly above pump.

Vented. And second you moving the reservoir. Get is as close to the pump with some elevation drop, that'll help keeping the pump fed.

The assist setups I have messed with use the stock reservoir and seem to work great, in fact I read that West Texas Offroad recommends the stock reservoir is perfectly fine. Granted they don't have the extra displacement of the hydro boost.

Vented. And second you moving the reservoir. Get is as close to the pump with some elevation drop, that'll help keeping the pump fed.

The assist setups I have messed with use the stock reservoir and seem to work great, in fact I read that West Texas Offroad recommends the stock reservoir is perfectly fine. Granted they don't have the extra displacement of the hydro boost.

the only reason i have the remote reservoir is that the stock GM pump housing doesn't clear my steering box

Gotcha, I should look at pictures but is there room to mount it above? Or even on the front corner area of the fender?
How much line is between the reservoir and pump? Size?

Gotcha, I should look at pictures but is there room to mount it above? Or even on the front corner area of the fender?
How much line is between the reservoir and pump? Size?

I posted pictures on the first page. Yes, I am likely going to try moving the reservoir to be above the pump. There are pictures of some examples of this in Post #34. Feed line is currently 10AN and about 24" long. Several have noted that it makes an arc towards the pump that could potentially turn into a "hill" that the fluid has to travel over to go to the pump during inclines. This happens to be when I've had the most problems steering.

I was installing struts for my hood and I had to lower the reservoir another 1/2" for the driver's side strut to clear, and now the feed hose has a visible arc upwards. Now the pump that's in it groans even worse, so the good news is that may have been my problem? I think it could be mitigated by just shortening the hose by a few inches but I think the general consensus is that having the reservoir as close to the pump as possible is best.

I posted pictures on the first page. Yes, I am likely going to try moving the reservoir to be above the pump. There are pictures of some examples of this in Post #34. Feed line is currently 10AN and about 24" long. Several have noted that it makes an arc towards the pump that could potentially turn into a "hill" that the fluid has to travel over to go to the pump during inclines. This happens to be when I've had the most problems steering.

I was installing struts for my hood and I had to lower the reservoir another 1/2" for the driver's side strut to clear, and now the feed hose has a visible arc upwards. Now the pump that's in it groans even worse, so the good news is that may have been my problem? I think it could be mitigated by just shortening the hose by a few inches but I think the general consensus is that having the reservoir as close to the pump as possible is best.

That right there is probably most of your problem. Combination of line length, diameter and drop. Let me dig up a document, but I believe your at or over the recommended limit for feeding a pump reliably and the arc doesn't help things.

Got the reservoir moved to directly over the pump last night. Just need to shorten/lengthen some hoses and get the replacement pump swapped in.

I actually took the filter out of the reservoir for the first time since installation and cleaned it out - it had some metallic particles, so i guess it was doing something, but after inspecting the inside of the reservoir only one of the returns to the reservoir is actually filtered!! The second return (the one from my hydroboost) just goes right past the filter and back to the pump. So I'm considering just leaving the filter out to hopefully alleviate some potential restriction on the main return.

That all sounds much better, except the screen filter. Leave it in, it helps slow and separate the air from the fluid immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom