I am yet again bringing you a Head-gasket rebuild thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm fair so doesn’t sound like an option then... I think I may have a lead here in Canada but we’ll see if it pans out.

Wondering if my camshafts are bent? And that’s what was causing the crazy warp reading from the machine shop on my head...?
Not usually. Camshafts don't bend, they break. Since they rotate, they would flex and would break, and it doesn't take long for that to happen.

The 0.019" sounds like a lot, but that could happen AFTER it was unbolted from the head, particularly since there is a crack.

Don't start second guessing. You'll kill yourself.

Just for the heck of it, call McGeorge Toyota Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online to see what their take is on availability and cost and shipping to Canada.

It happens that I live in Olathe, KS and there happens to be a Toyota warehouse in the Kansas City area (Olathe is a suburb) Many of the parts that McGeorge orders must come from KC to VA where McG is, then back to me. Seems odd, but it can happen.

I looked at equipment orders we (my company) have shipping to Canada, but they are all on the left coast (BC), so not much alternative there. I was hoping for a Toronto order.

Not usually. Camshafts don't bend, they break. Since they rotate, they would flex and would break, and it doesn't take long for that to happen.

The 0.019" sounds like a lot, but that could happen AFTER it was unbolted from the head, particularly since there is a crack.

Just for the heck of it, call McGeorge Toyota Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online to see what their take is on availability and cost and shipping to Canada.

It happens that I live in Olathe, KS and there happens to be a Toyota warehouse in the Kansas City area (Olathe is a suburb) Many of the parts that McGeorge orders must come from KC to VA where McG is, then back to me. Seems odd, but it can happen.

I looked at equipment orders we (my company) have shipping to Canada, but they are all on the left coast (BC), so not much alternative there. I was hoping for a Toronto order.
Hmm that’s kinda what I figured from reading other threads... seems there were a few that’s broke after a head gasket job got done... man I’d hate for that to happen, but yes you are right I need to stop with my OCD ways and second guessing I will be so far in dept I’ll have to declare bankruptcy over land cruisers...

The .19 just puzzles me as I have it at home now and it doesn’t measure to be that much... it’s just odd that it did while at the machine shop

I will try and give them a call In the morning see what the situation is. Fingers crossed they’ll have good news for me.

I really appreciate that man, thanks so much for checking but it’s all good, way she goes haha

Ok gave McGeorge a call and its a no go, they estimated a couple weeks most likely... they said they dont have the inventory at there place at the moment.

I did give Toyota Parts Deal a call and they said they could ship them out within 3 days so thats an option they said they werent able to check quntity though

Lastly could get them in canada for much cheaper than expceted but they would be coming from japan and estiamted 15 days but could take weeks beacuse of covid delays...

I am wondering if anyone knows if the head was changed in the newer 1FZ-fe engines offered in the 70 and 100 series across seas? the part number for our intake valves on the 1993-1997 1FZ-fe is 13711-66030 and the intake valve number for the newer engines is 13711-66020...

Partsouq has 3 of the older intake valves and no-one in the states seems to have them and if they do they are saying it will take weeks to get... However, Partsouq has hundreds of the newer intake valves!

Wondering if this is a possibility?

Yes head was changed because engine became a direct ignition engine and lost the distributor. And gained more ponies in the process.

You need the correct valves for the head/engine you are using.
Thanks Onur! Solves that dream... I honestly think my option at this point is have the intake valves checked by a machine shop, as they look pretty good and hopefully they’re useable. And then order new exhaust valves from partsouq for the sake of time.

I tired Toyota parts deal too but same thing they had no idea how long it would be or even if they had the inventory.

Could try and get them through my friend from Japan but that could also take weeks.

Wish I had accounted for this earlier.

Most likely all of the Toyota based sources in north america are going to come from Toyota warehouses and if one dealer says they have to come from Japan, most likely it will everywhere else in north america as well. I don't know if they can check dealer stock at other dealers though. None of my local dealer stock any land cruiser parts and it all has to come from the Toyota warehouseb in LA, but in some cases my parts came from warehouses all over the US, and when I ordered pistons and valve guides, some of those came from Japan

Yeah I figure I’m not going to be able to get intake valves in a timely manner at all. I think I’m going to have a machine shop look over the old intake valves and then I’ll order a new set of exhaust valves from partsouq as those are the ones that look rough. Hopefully everything will be within spec and useable to service me for another 200,000 miles..

Dealers won’t have these parts on the shelf. If they did, the Parts Manager would most likely be out of a job.

The only folks who carried these types of parts on their shelves are now retired. :lol:

Parts departments that have lots of cruiser parts in their inventory most likely have a cruiser shop near by to service their needs.

Dealers won’t have these parts on the shelf. If they did, the Parts Manager would most likely be out of a job.

The only folks who carried these types of parts on their shelves are now retired. :lol:

Parts departments that have lots of cruiser parts in their inventory most likely have a cruiser shop near by to service their needs.
Yes this does make total sense, especially in Canada when I see a landcruiser maybe 4 times a year that isn’t mine.

Was just hoping that somewhere in the states they would have 12 in a warehouse but doesn’t seem like the case as Mcgeorge Toyota told me it’s unlikely and even if they do it would take weeks to get them all together... I guess I could gamble about the time but luck really hasn’t been on my side lately

91CB53C0-D0B8-46BA-B300-9055C72A64BC.jpeg
C5B713C4-11A5-482A-8627-4D35ADA7E6F2.jpeg
73D7EA2D-F98D-4371-88C8-1B8927A61446.jpeg
4FDE519C-CC14-4BF3-BADA-900877C0A034.jpeg

Spending the night cleaning parts!
1472BCF9-91BB-4995-9BE8-693081CB8204.jpeg

The machine shop will make them look like new again. Run them. Don't even think about it.
Thanks Onur, needed to hear this, I know I'm probably just overthinking things, OCD is getting the better of me. I'm sure they'll be fine for another 200,000.

Alright im going to end the night on that, things are coming along, plus I still have a 8 km bike home in the dark.

You know the engine bay is getting cleaner when at the end of the day your hands arnt as dirty as when you started the project. Years of caked on oil taken off.

D57BC9C1-E106-485F-B922-F22C452EBBBC.jpeg
79F5A7FD-8056-4B8B-AB76-40CA55BFF27F.jpeg

Half day on truck tomorrow, going to try and get spark plug tube gaskets seated, clean out the baffles on valve cover, tidy up and finish cleaning engine bay, and maybe swap some radiator parts from old to new... we’ll see how much time I have.

I know it’s far down the road already but did you try Cruiseryard @arcteryx, @slow95z, or Classic Cruisers in Colorado for possible leads on used parts and maybe more support for fast shipping?

I know it’s far down the road already but did you try Cruiseryard @arcteryx, @slow95z, or Classic Cruisers in Colorado for possible leads on used parts and maybe more support for fast shipping?
Did chat with Slow95z briefly about a used head but I ultimately decided to just go with new OEM, there is not much left that I am looking for used, the only things I'm on the hunt for are a clean set of used heat shields and a used pack of shims for the valve buckets... The valves were the big hunt and would only really go new with those, otherwise, I would just clean up the ones I have in hand from my engine. Thanks for the suggestion though! cheers!

More cleaning, specifically some throttle body work... finishing it all up and this supercharger piece, lots of oil buildup in the supercharger and intake manifold... going to be running a catch from now on off the PCV valve...

83FCCECD-6DF3-4304-A6F1-A10F3CE764FA.jpeg
2DDDF074-3E6C-4BF8-BF43-4502AB2C9F37.jpeg
95A6ECFB-2C50-4488-924C-A817407DA6E5.jpeg
42FC9AF3-5420-4411-B9EF-5AF574603352.jpeg
4A29502C-202E-44EF-82B5-060A1968201B.jpeg

Got this little great clamp set off amazon, ties up some lose ends and satisfies my OCD...
085D1043-5347-4516-944A-D6100AA9A8E2.jpeg
1A6F3914-A55A-4702-958F-80994CEF3F57.jpeg
3965FB64-1D4A-4227-98E9-CB40DA049E74.jpeg
2311FE9A-A958-4880-9C36-083718483FAB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom