Newb here — I need some basic recovery gear and a compressor. Where do I start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, before I get out into adventuring too far, I want to make sure I have at least some basic recovery gear on hand.

My list so far includes:
- Recovery points (I've read that the front stock hooks on my GX470 are questionable for this purpose)
- Snatch straps? Kinetic rope? 1? 2?
- A few shackles
- Gloves
- Recovery boards (I'm in SoCal where most adventuring will be desert). I know, I know — buy the Maxtrax.

I also need a portable compressor and deflation kit for airing down and back up.
Right now, I'm weighing the Ironman 5.65CFM unit which is currently on sale for $150 vs. the Viair 400P Auto for $225. Anything I'm missing? Any recommendations for one over the other?

What about a deflation kit? I like the idea of one with a gauge built in so that I can deflate to a specific PSI on all tires without having to guess or overshoot and air up a little. Which is a good one? Ironman? Arb?

TIA!

Shovel. A real one.

Bottle jack and board.

Air up/down gear before maxtrax. Arb, Ironman deflators, they're all about the same. Viairs are good- I have no experience with Ironman compressors.

Good recovery points front and rear. Preferably ones that work with soft shackles.

Soft shackles. x2

Kinetic rope. x1

Wheel with a buddy.

Why soft shackles over the metal ones? Just curious...

Yes, air gear before recovery boards.

Which bottle jack do you recommend? I've seen some recommendation on the "safe jack" — any others to consider that will handle a vehicle with a mild lift?

Soft shackles because assisted recovery is a two way street. Steel shackles definitely have their place, but not all vehicles are set up to accept them. A soft shackle can be attached to nearly anything (which can lead to other problems). In keeping with a starter kit, soft shackles, I think, provide greater flexibility. A fully fleshed out recovery kit should of course include some steel shackles.

I'd never seen that "Safe Jack" before. Way expensive and you'll never get enough lift on a GX to need it to go that high. I have a Husky from Home Depot that works well enough, and also the OEM Landcruiser jack. I carry and have used both at the same time. Pick up a Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP and you'll do everything the "Safe Jack" will do, for a lot less.

Typically reaching high is not the issue, rather getting it under the vehicle where you need it is the problem- enter the shovel. Jack up the offending wheel, place rocks, traction boards, logs, whatever, then lower and drive out. I carry a couple of short 2x6's to place under the jack as needed.

Think like an Egyptian.

Why soft shackles over the metal ones? Just curious...

Yes, air gear before recovery boards.

Which bottle jack do you recommend? I've seen some recommendation on the "safe jack" — any others to consider that will handle a vehicle with a mild lift?
GX470 should have a solid jack. You can get a High-lift Jack base (the orange one) to use under it. It may need some slight modification though. I've seen a modified safe jack base used too but that thing is $150. Up to you.

"Land Cruiser Products" sells a jack adapter for the GX470 that dose the same thing as the Safe jack.

Toyota SUV jack is just a better all around jack and doesn't require maintenance. Usually.

Last edited:
Ok, before I get out into adventuring too far, I want to make sure I have at least some basic recovery gear on hand.

My list so far includes:
- Recovery points (I've read that the front stock hooks on my GX470 are questionable for this purpose)
- Snatch straps? Kinetic rope? 1? 2?
- A few shackles
- Gloves
- Recovery boards (I'm in SoCal where most adventuring will be desert). I know, I know — buy the Maxtrax.

I also need a portable compressor and deflation kit for airing down and back up.
Right now, I'm weighing the Ironman 5.65CFM unit which is currently on sale for $150 vs. the Viair 400P Auto for $225. Anything I'm missing? Any recommendations for one over the other?

What about a deflation kit? I like the idea of one with a gauge built in so that I can deflate to a specific PSI on all tires without having to guess or overshoot and air up a little. Which is a good one? Ironman? Arb?

TIA!
Proper shovel
Axe
Truck should have a bottle jack somewhere in it already? You would get way more use out of a hi-lift style jack.
An assortment of Bow pin/clevis steel shackles and soft shackles, they each of their uses.
The ironman compressor you have mentioned is good I hear, it's the exact same as the Smitty built and a few other variants.
A nice deflator is handy, such as the ARB or whatever clone, they all appear to be the same with different stickers. No worries about losing valve cores which sucks (but you should spares in your flat repair kit right?)
Properly rated straps, a short tree saver strap, and the kinetic ropes are nice too (expensive tho for a proper one)

the list can go on forever, but thats a pretty good start

Have you checked out the comparison videos of maxtraxx vs some of the knock-offs? The maxtraxx are pretty awesome, but gen II are 300 bucks. It seems like the cheapo versions fail where one is trying to minimize the height of a gap, and not necessarily where just trying to gain traction.
Plenty of good input above though.

Have you checked out the comparison videos of maxtraxx vs some of the knock-offs? The maxtraxx are pretty awesome, but gen II are 300 bucks. It seems like the cheapo versions fail where one is trying to minimize the height of a gap, and not necessarily where just trying to gain traction.
Plenty of good input above though.

I have. I may go with a cheap set once just to see if/how often I use them.

I am the president of LA County Trailcrew 4x4's and once Covid Shutdowns are over I'd be happy to have you come over and see all the different items you are asking about.

A lot of what you are asking about is based on what your rig will end up as and where you plan on taking it. Are you always solo? Budget also plays an important part.

Your stock bottle jack is fine.
Your front transport loops for the boat tie down from Japan are not recovery points.
2 cheap steel shackles and a cheap nylon tow strap are enough to get you started.

Cheers.

I am the president of LA County Trailcrew 4x4's and once Covid Shutdowns are over I'd be happy to have you come over and see all the different items you are asking about.

A lot of what you are asking about is based on what your rig will end up as and where you plan on taking it. Are you always solo? Budget also plays an important part.

Your stock bottle jack is fine.
Your front transport loops for the boat tie down from Japan are not recovery points.
2 cheap steel shackles and a cheap nylon tow strap are enough to get you started.

Cheers.

Thanks, appreciate the offer. Looking into getting better recovery points for the front end. Have the stock jack. Have a couple of shackles and tow straps on order 👍

Will mostly be solo, but largely in areas that are populated/popular.

An air compressor and a tire patch kit have saved more trips than recovery gear. Air compressor size depends on the max tire size you plan on running and whether you'll want an air tank etc.

An air compressor and a tire patch kit have saved more trips than recovery gear. Air compressor size depends on the max tire size you plan on running and whether you'll want an air tank etc.

Already have a compressor and air down kit. I have a tire patch kit on the list of "things to get."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom