FJ55 door hinge pins and bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
I ran across this thread again today and was once again admiring the work that @SMG does for the 40 door and hood hinges. Stainless Steel Windshield/Doors/Hood/Amby FJ40 Hinge Pins with Bronze Bushings.

Someone asked at some point in the thread if these would fit a 55 hinge and the answer was something like, "I don't know" but nobody ever asked if he would make them for a 55.......so I did. The answer was a yes/maybe but he needs some hinges to measure. I am out of the country at the moment so that eliminates the one spare hinge I have in my possession, at least until mid December. I am in no hurry but would, at some point, like to rebuild all of mine assuming it isn't a task above my tools or skillset.

If I recall correctly our hinges come in top, bottom, right and left combinations so basically 4 flavors total. It's obvious that right and left wouldn't make a difference for the pin and bushings so all we need is a top and bottom hinge. I am happy to paypal someone the shipping or chip in for any expenses if someone could get a pair to @SMG. Hopefully he will wade in with any corrections.

So, any interest?

I've got a pile of disassembled hinges plus a couple of assembled. I don't recall if the disassembled ones were modified yet. I could volunteer a set to send out. It is a bit more odd than top/bottom and left/right. The non-sprung hinges are front to rear different. The sprung hinges were different front/rear and left/right if I recall right.

While the price seems reasonable, They are out of my price point for now. I was going the route of someone else's brass bushings on mud, drilling out the hinges to fit, using some 8mm stainless rod, and then cotter pinning with a new hole from the side.

Agree it's not a no brainer on price but SOR charges $150 with an extra $50 core charge to rebuild them - per hinge. For most of us it's a one and done proposition.

@Lil'John you are correct. I just looked up all the part numbers for a '77 and there are actually 4 part numbers for the 8 hinges. My guess though is that you still only need one top and one bottom to measure the pins and bushings. The uppers are interchangeable right to left but different front to back. The Lowers are interchangeable front to rear but different left to right (to keep the springs on top).

I've got a pile of disassembled hinges plus a couple of assembled. I don't recall if the disassembled ones were modified yet. I could volunteer a set to send out. It is a bit more odd than top/bottom and left/right. The non-sprung hinges are front to rear different. The sprung hinges were different front/rear and left/right if I recall right.

While the price seems reasonable, They are out of my price point for now. I was going the route of someone else's brass bushings on mud, drilling out the hinges to fit, using some 8mm stainless rod, and then cotter pinning with a new hole from the side.

Glad we got the front/rear clarification added!

I just hit him up and am waiting for his response.
I’ll be your huckleberry.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

I am about to weld in the striker side of my door latches(bear jaw) and want to get it in the right spot. With th excessive play in the hinge moved out to the end of the door it becomes a large difference.
some others have used some Napa door hinge kit. I’ll have to look around and see if I can find that.
I have used the plastic bushings that SOR sells but they wear out too quickly. Hoping that maybe the brass ones will last longer.

I think I posted everything in my build thread.
I'll try to find some time to look later this week if you can't find it

What I took from it was that the ends were not level or even, hence the cost to machine them flat+ new pins was not cost effective..
Maybe he will SMB will chime in.

Jmack, looks like you milled out your own bushings. There is a nice pic on 47 of a nice and pretty pile of newly made bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom