75 FJ New To Me Suspension/ tire sizing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new to the forum and new to Land Cruiser all together. I’ve acquired a 1975 with a 5.3 vortec power and I’m trying to sort out the best suspension/ tire combo for both ride comfort and the way it will look. I’ve placed a photo of the existing set up. The 40 is in KS getting some body work and items handles by the seller, Jim, and Landcruiser Restorations.

I would like to have a set up without the large gap between the top of the tires and the fender, but need to avoid the rub if I can. The photo I’ve put up I’ve highlighted this area blue. I’m also placing a photo of a tan rig that I like the proportions on. I’m not going to off road a lot and definitely not in anything too serious. Just looking for a fun rig to share some time with my wife in around town.

I believe the current set up is a 4″ Man-A-Fre lift kit, 4.88 gears, front disc brakes, power steering with tilt, Bilstein shocks, limited slip rear end, shackle reversale kit, extended slip yoke driveshafts.
the questions are:
1. Is this simply too much lift and if so what should be done to get the proportions right
2. If the lift is good, do I need bigger wheels or just bigger tires?
Thanks for any guidance in advance

9AF8DC7E-7537-45BC-9826-F3EFED1437A7.jpeg

7BBC063F-5210-4433-94A8-422361C232F6.png

For a "fun around town" car, I would leave the suspension alone, unless your wife complains a lot about getting and out of the truck.

What size tires are on the truck now? Easiest way to reduce the space is to increase tire diameter.

Welcome to mud and nice truck.

Last edited:
33" tires is a tried and true size for lifted 40's, a lot of folks run them (myself included). Here is mine with a 3" lift and 33x10.5x15 tires:

IMG_3022.jpg

Poughkeepsie Gulch-2.jpg

Have your rear wheel openings been cut?

Unfortunately yes, by a previous owner. :( He covered them with cheesy plastic fender flares, which broke when wheeling so I took them off.

4" lift an 35's. Rear wheel wells were trimmed. No rubbing issues on the front.

20201107_160927.jpg

20201107_160915.jpg

20201107_095445.jpg

3" lift, 33x10.5 BFG Mud Terrain, 15x8 American Steels.

73 40 Front.jpg

Rubbed in the back, on the tub, not the rear quarter. I moved the axle back on the spring by drilling a hole 1" away on the spring perch, which fixed it. Rubbed on the drag link at full turn. Those treads were mucho coin and regret, at the time, but tons of fun. Last I heard, my old 40 was sold to someone who stretched it width wise and put it on an 80 chassis?

These, I really like driving my current 40 with 215/75s, stock steels, and stock suspension, aside from the lower driver perspective. I appreciate the truck's retro/stock look with the smaller tread.

73 40 Side.jpg

4:88 could be swap for 4:11 or 3:70 to be more street friendly

Nice 40 , but alots of thing on those pics show it is not a 1975 , more early 70's
I’d be interested to understand what doesn’t appear to be 75. from what I’ve learned a lot of folks have done a lot of different things to 40’s throughout the years. Vin # appears to be correct year. Please let me know if you see something way off base that you think I should be aware of. Thanks!

I’d be interested to understand what doesn’t appear to be 75. from what I’ve learned a lot of folks have done a lot of different things to 40’s throughout the years. Vin # appears to be correct year. Please let me know if you see something way off base that you think I should be aware of. Thanks!
Front signals, wipers on top, door handles and rear hatch all look early. No running lights on the bib, heater intake being integral to the tub and tail lights all look like 1975.
Headlight, wiper and heater knobs all look 1975.

Last edited:
4:88 could be swap for 4:11 or 3:70 to be more street friendly

Nice 40 , but alots of thing on those pics show it is not a 1975 , more early 70's
Thought I'd let you know you were spot on. I was mistaken on the year. Its title says 74, but the vin # puts it to last month of 73. Thanks for the correction!

Thought I'd let you know you were spot on. I was mistaken on the year. Its title says 74, but the vin # puts it to last month of 73. Thanks for the correction!

The new model "year" has been getting earlier ever since. :meh:

Nice truck overall, welcome to the madness!
If you decide to regear, I have 4:11s that I would swap for your 4:88s, and would help with the installation if you wanted to come up and spend the weekend in Western NC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom