Red Line- Customers 45LV Resto Mod Build " Pope's rig" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RLMS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.redlinelandcruisers.com
I have debated for a year if we should put this build on mud. Debated if I have the time to add and reply and so forth. I am always so busy I never really finish a build thread, so that's half my problem. What the heck, perhaps I'll be able to finish this one, So that's my goal.

Project start> Thought's of what I want, VS customer goals. These can be tricky if not painstakingly vibrant through the colors of opinions and operational ques. So with that said. Being crafted is a Red line Resto Mod, Remember that as you scroll through as we go. My End goals are me being me, my guys being them and the customer having trust.

Listed items that will be done to the rig for said driving style and end user goals.
1. Power steering...Blah blah blah.... Yes everyone wants PS. I DIDN'T want to do this, customer needs to be able to due to comfort.
So I crafted up a sweet plan. Use a GM Box... I know all you haters, I get it but, hang in there. GM box allows me to keep the factory column and retain the "3 on the tree" Yes we are mixing this girl up. Retaining the OEM steering is, well not that bad after all! We have a kit in the works just for this, so.....SAG box to factory column and shifting... I'm happy it came out the way it did.
2. Disc brakes. I decided to go only for the front. I get, that I could do the rear too, but instead I'm going with a little of the Original design ques from the era. 78 axles up front and rear. Easy...
3. Engine. It had a 68 302 Camaro v8 in it when we recieved it so I wanted OE. F135? Found one and was thrilled! Then I thought holy smokes I remembered he wants to drive this...LOL so we opted to swap in a 2F...But with a mix.
Must retain the 65 era looks as much as possible, So we will be throwing in some tricks for that.
4. A/C.... Well I need a old school Nip unit but I'm not going through that.....so VA unit that has a old school look and retain the OEM heater...Done. Custom blower motor air tube is the hardest part of that, so no big deal.
5. Restore the body..... Yes a massive amount of work. This body is in good shape comparatively...
6. Restore interior.... Same deal here, lots of documentation and hardware problems, textile issues...no big deal
7. Suspension... The normal 2.5" lift stuff... No issue
8. Tires and wheels, same thing...33's with Re-pop Caps.
9. Misc, drivetrain restoration, wiring resto, etc... No big deal.

Vin, this rig is the first VIN off the line for may of 65, says the SOR.com vin section!
Original paint was Colorado Beige and the off white. Cool color combo that I never see, so we are going to get her back to her OE colors.

Project name is customers last name. No big name stuff on this one for some reason. We have just always called it "pope's rig"

Enjoy

Justin

DSC04582.JPG

A very cool roof rack bracket system "farmer'd" up with some gas pipe and plywood. We are keeping that idea and going to run with it, mix it up a little.

DSC04584.JPG

Who knew, a GM blower motor would work perfectly with a plywood adapter.....?

DSC04602.JPG

Engine Out.... what they did for motor mounts was a fun treasure to find. For what they used in material and how they did it, I've seen much worse!

DSC04619.JPG

DSC04621.JPG

DSC04625.JPG

DSC04622.JPG

Removal of the drivetrain, revealed that the trans and t-case were filled with ATF.... We have not been disappointed in being surprised so far!

DSC04672.JPG

DSC04675.JPG

DSC04681.JPG

V8 conversion to OE Straight 6 conversion! "Plasma'd" off the v8 mounts, cleaned up the frame rails. We are bolting up used OE frame mounts for now, and will be doing a final rivet install to the mounts right after we media blast the frame.

DSC04714.JPG

DSC04725.JPG

DSC04720.JPG

DSC04735.JPG

DSC04736.JPG

We also had to fix up the radiator mounting tabs. They had been altered. So we welded up the modifications and reverted back to the OE slot shapes for the radiator holder!

DSC04736.JPG

DSC04738.JPG

DSC04741.JPG

Thanks for the shop tour back in August Justin. This thing is going to be super rad.

Keep it coming, very interested in the build!!

I might have tossed it already! If we didnt You will be the first to know.

If that truly is a GM 302 it is a very unique engine and worth a significant sum to the right person. I surely wouldn’t toss it out with the scrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom