1HD-T Aluminum Radiator Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang,
In the process of swapping out the radiator on my 92' HDJ81. I found an aluminum upgrade online but didn’t realize it’s for manual tranny only, and now I’m disassembled in the driveway and dead in the water trying to find another replacement that works for my auto tranny. Can't seem to find one online to save my life - let alone one that isn't monstrously expensive. Do you guys have any good resources or ideas? I've also thought about running a separate tranny cooler and trying to use this part, but there's still a fitment issue with the non-threaded lines on the lower part of the radiator. Would love some help.
Cheers,
Logan

The 3f radiator fits and lines up, unless you really want an aluminum one.what are the non-threaded lines you are taking about?

The 3f radiator fits and lines up, unless you really want an aluminum one.what are the non-threaded lines you are taking about?
Really? I was under the impression that they weren't compatible. Just looking for better cooling than OEM can provide without spending intercooler cash. I'll look into it!! Thnx
And I'm blanking on what they're called, but the two tubes near the bottom of the radiator. My hoses have threaded female parts, but it's unthreaded on the rad itself.

Really? I was under the impression that they weren't compatible. Just looking for better cooling than OEM can provide without spending intercooler cash. I'll look into it!! Thnx
And I'm blanking on what they're called, but the two tubes near the bottom of the radiator. My hoses have threaded female parts, but it's unthreaded on the rad itself.
Any chance you have a picture of the parts you are talking about?
If it’s the manual transmission one, it should only have a petcock ( passenger side ) and the Coolant hose tube( driver side)

Intercooler won't fix coolant temp issues and radiator won't fix EGT issues...are you chasing a problem or just replacing the radiator as maintainance?

The unthreaded lines are for the trans cooler in the bottom of the rad, you could add an external trans cooler and just bypass the in-rad one, it's honestly there as much to help bring the trans up to temp in cold climates as it is to cool the trans, an external trans cooler does a much better job of cooling.

I've got a 1991 HDJ81.

I just used a Koyorad A1918 Radiator. Fits perfectly, though you'll need to make a small bracket to have it line up correctly with the shroud. Super easy. As for the trans cooler lines, they're threaded so just put your old ones on the new rad. Do not bypass the rad trans cooler even if you have a separate trans cooler added.

More info here

While you're in there, you might as well install a trans temp sensor. I put mine near the inlet of the radiator since it was easier (at the time) than putting it at the outlet of the transmission.

Last edited:
Intercooler won't fix coolant temp issues and radiator won't fix EGT issues...are you chasing a problem or just replacing the radiator as maintainance?
Radiator was old and worn out so I wanted something that will outperform the OEM part. I plan on adding armor and larger tires eventually so I want to start now with keeping temps down. Thanks for the feedback!

I've got a 1991 HDJ81.

I just used a Koyorad A1918 Radiator. Fits perfectly, though you'll need to make a small bracket to have it line up correctly with the shroud. Super easy. As for the trans cooler lines, they're threaded so just put your old ones on the new rad. Do not bypass the rad trans cooler even if you have a separate trans cooler added.

More info here

While you're in there, you might as well install a trans temp sensor. I put mine near the inlet of the radiator since it was easier (at the time) than putting it at the outlet of the transmission.
I think you just answered my question! Thank you so so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom