Modifications To Improve Gas Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get 15-16 mpg highway on mine that is lifted 1.5" going average 75mph. I also have the 4 speed too. Cruise control, staying in the right lane so you can get the aero from semi trucks, and p-rated tires help a ton. Also have your rig fully base-lined with new fluids, plugs, MAF cleaned, TB cleaned, etc. I get about 10mpg in the city.

That roof rack, bumper, and e-rated ply KO2s aren't doing you any favours at all. You live in Alberta, keep your neighbours and friends employed, and the oil industry afloat there.

Just drove my 99 from Idaho to Tx for the winter. At higher altitudes I averaged 16-17 but it steadily dropped to 14-15 once I got past the front range and started downhill. We will see what I get in normal local driving.

Assist to @bottombracket for tossing in 2 new hot side O2 sensors last month when he and his bride stayed at my place. I don't recall ever getting above 15 MPG

lol @ this thread.

Maybe this mod:

1604965376506.png

check your ignition coils and see if any are on the way out. Also keep your MAF clean.

I have a 4 speed without VVTI + 33s + an ARB bumper + a rack and hard shell roof tent and i get ~13ish

I am having an intermittent MPG issue where, along the same route (100-200mi), I am varying MPG by ~1-1.5 mpg towing my trailer. I get between 8.5-10mpg depending on the trip. I didn't replace my fan clutch when I did my TB and am wondering if that is the culprit. I can't prove this as I haven't replaced it yet but it's on the list to do shortly.

Just adding some food for thought... could be something mechanical on the front of the motor
Do you notice at all if you get better MPG on the "top half" of the fuel tank than you do on the "bottom half?" That's what lead me down the road chasing vapor leaks. With less fuel in the tank it heats up faster and evaporates quicker I would get better MPG on the first half of the tank and then it would drop off worse and worse the lower it got.

Now after fixing my leaks my MPG is consistent whether I drove all in one day or spaced it out over weeks.

I've got an 03 LC with 192k miles, fresh plugs, fuel filter, fluids all around, and cruising on the highway for about 100 miles im getting close to 21mpg.

Stock suspension, stock tires.

I thought it was funny getting that MPG. But its a big damn truck, who cares what mileage you get, just enjoy it! Im sure my MPG will go to s*** with some mods and added weight.

PXL_20201107_145855740.jpg

Do you notice at all if you get better MPG on the "top half" of the fuel tank than you do on the "bottom half?" That's what lead me down the road chasing vapor leaks. With less fuel in the tank it heats up faster and evaporates quicker I would get better MPG on the first half of the tank and then it would drop off worse and worse the lower it got.

Now after fixing my leaks my MPG is consistent whether I drove all in one day or spaced it out over weeks.

Got any info on where your leaks were? I swear that I see a difference on the bottom half of my tank than the top... but never validated by tracking yet.

Got any info on where your leaks were? I swear that I see a difference on the bottom half of my tank than the top... but never validated by tracking yet.
You can search through my posts or look in the dangerous gasoline vapors thread(s). I basically just segmented off the whole fuelevap system into small testible sections and tested for leaks and then stopped them. I also did a bunch of heat shielding.

I only calculate my average MPG when I fill up and I do them with Fuelly, not the trip computer. I can't think of anything else that would influence the mileage that much over the SAME route/speeds/weather, etc. I always start the trip with a full tank and use 3/4 tank or more on the way to the track. Then fill up before the return trip. If I do the same trip the next week, the mileage can either stay the same or vary up to 1.5MPG, which when we are dealing with single digit numbers, is significant.

Opinions seem to vary on switching to high octane fuel. It's 20-25% more $$$ here. Seems the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

There is NO advantage to using a higher octane fuel with respect to the fuel itself. In fact, lower octane fuels burn more efficiently. Higher octane fuels have more detonation inhibitors which allow for higher compression engines, more ignition advance, forced air induction. That is where the engine performance comes from.

So...no, using a fuel beyond recommended octane rating provides NO return on your investment.

The best gains (even though you said you don't want to hear it) is your right foot and possibly tire pressure. Even then....IF most of your driving isn't at highway speeds, don't expect to see improvements. These vehicles should be looked at as providing safety, reliability and 'Smiles Per Gallon' not Miles Per Gallon.

I observe the following:
Step one: install metal bumper, sliders, 35 mts, regear to 4:88
Step 2: leave it parked and drive the Prius. 50mpg fix

Quick question, does the 100 have an eco mode button?

If not, the only mod I can think of is a piggbyback chip with selectable maps. One of them, being 16:1 AFR and numb throttle "Eco" map.

Other than that, making sure air filter, fuel filters, and injectors are clean, plugs are in good shape, intake (throttle body) is clean is basically the only way your engine has no maintenance-related issues. It will keep it optimal, but it won't improve it per se.

I can't post without saying that none of these maintenance items, a chip, or any of the mentioned possibilities will have effect if you don't drive mindfully. Driving habits matter as much as having the vehicle in proper shape.

There is NO advantage to using a higher octane fuel with respect to the fuel itself. In fact, lower octane fuels burn more efficiently. Higher octane fuels have more detonation inhibitors which allow for higher compression engines, more ignition advance, forced air induction. That is where the engine performance comes from.

So...no, using a fuel beyond recommended octane rating provides NO return on your investment.

The best gains (even though you said you don't want to hear it) is your right foot and possibly tire pressure. Even then....IF most of your driving isn't at highway speeds, don't expect to see improvements. These vehicles should be looked at as providing safety, reliability and 'Smiles Per Gallon' not Miles Per Gallon.
Sssshhhh...no one want's to believe this. No one understands octane ratings, and if you purchase 87 at the pump you might get 92. If it's not pinging, don't worry about it. People want to believe the high performance comes from the fuel, not that their high performance engines require the fuel.

Drive45-55 only.

get aCamry hybrid.

Run ethanol free gas. Haven't tried it in my LX, but in other vehicles, I've picked up 2-4mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom