Help Desperately Needed Getting Cruiser Running! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

can you have someone manually open the throttle?
Yes...a couple months ago I had the dealership due the timing belt maintenance...

wait.... this could be concerning... because the engine behavior on the video is also similar to one with timing issues. hopefully not.

So it was running fine and wouldn't start...so it was running smoothly when you shut it down and the starter was dragging or what? Because yeah, this behavior is exactly liked jumped time. It's a 2002, so I *think* it's a non interference motor. So please elaborate on what precipitated the starter change.

So it was running fine and wouldn't start...so it was running smoothly when you shut it down and the starter was dragging or what? Because yeah, this behavior is exactly liked jumped time. It's a 2002, so I *think* it's a non interference motor. So please elaborate on what precipitated the starter change.
The starter was making a loud scratching noise when starting up for about 2-3 weeks and then one morning it would not start and the starter was quiet. You could tell it wasn't working. I got a new starter. Installed new starter. And it started but the idle stumbled and was like it was gasping for air and then died. It has not changed. Thanks...

So a fuel smell in the engine bay, started and died, just barely tries to catch when you are turning it over for a long time. Are you 150% sure you aren't missing any nuts or ratchet sockets? This behavior could also be a massive air leak. Maybe watch this video of this guy doing the job and see if it jogs any memories loose of something you might have missed?

So a fuel smell in the engine bay, started and died, just barely tries to catch when you are turning it over for a long time. Are you 150% sure you aren't missing any nuts or ratchet sockets? This behavior could also be a massive air leak. Maybe watch this video of this guy doing the job and see if it jogs any memories loose of something you might have missed?

Thanks Shifthead. Actually his is one of the videos I watched before hand to show how to do the job. I took pictures before taking apart. I also taped and marked each hose and bolt when removing so I knew where it went when putting back together.

Would a loose spark plug cause something like this? I mean, the starter job might not have directly caused it, but it maybe one of them is loose......or a coil is bad? I'd make sure all the coils are down tight and just snug up all plugs.

Would a loose spark plug cause something like this? I mean, the starter job might not have directly caused it, but it maybe one of them is loose......or a coil is bad? I'd make sure all the coils are down tight and just snug up all plugs.

Even with a loose spark plugs the truck would still start. It could have one maybe even two coils fail and still run rough.

Can you check the timing belt thru the access window and inspect the teeth on the belt? I really think at this point it's something other than something related to your starter installation

The engine will start and run with a bad coil or spark plug.

When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

When you removed the intake, did you remove as one entire unit, or did you separate and remove the throttle body in the process? Did you use all new gaskets? RE-Check every connection related to removing the intake:

This is for 03-05 but should give general idea of connections etc
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 8.54.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 8.55.41 AM.png

Attachments

• Engine Mechanical-intake.pdf
    160.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Engine Mechanical intake 2.pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 27
The starter was making a loud scratching noise when starting up for about 2-3 weeks and then one morning it would not start and the starter was quiet. You could tell it wasn't working. I got a new starter. Installed new starter. And it started but the idle stumbled and was like it was gasping for air and then died. It has not changed. Thanks...
The old start should have damage easy to spot, if you dissect. If it was truly your issue.
:hmm:

Typically a starter going bad, act differently in that we don't typically hear loud scratching noise. The no start "starter was quiet" what is typical.

Common signs of bad starter:
IG key turn to on. All lights of dash come on (system testing), then most off as normal. Turn IG to start, lights of dash dim, and nothing happen NO crank No sound.

I've seen starter drives falling apart, still no sound. It could make a "loud scratching noise', but not common

Here's one, that was not the typical contact and plunger failure point. The vehicle had remote start, and for years it had starting issue, before brought to me for a starter job. I suspect the remote start or operator of, engaging start, while running (many times)!
61281315770__DB83EED0-7133-441C-9BAA-57121DF2CD27.JPG

Very often during timing belt job, crank and or cam wires, not properly routed or secured. Post some picture of front of engine down LH side (driver side), may be revealing. In this one, serpentine belt rubbed on crank sensor, oil sending unit wires that were not routed properly. Sometimes the cam sensor wire get rubbed also.
Engine wire harness main (1)a.JPG

Another very common mistakes during time belt job is not properly topped coolant. Was the radiator fill to the very top?

Was intake manifold gasket install with proper orientation (white tips up and out)
Z 01 LX470 day Starter, wire splice & intake installed 3-22-16 028.JPG

A less common issue is not torquing bolts during timing belt job. The T-belt tension can be seen and checked easily form below. Internal failure of belt jump, can be seen, by removing timing belt covers. First and easiest, is by removing the BK 2 cover.

Here's what I'd do.
1) Make sure every thing connected properly. As you've done. But giving us clear pictures to double check, can't hurt.
2) Check that throttle body butterfly operating properly.
3) Check for spark.
4) Compression test.

Last edited:
If you keep on smelling gas fume, then for sure there is a leak some where in the fuel system by the engine bay.

If you keep on smelling gas fume, then for sure there is a leak some where in the fuel system by the engine bay.
Good point! Should be easy to spot.

But, if timing off by belt jump, cam sprocket clocking off, no spark from bad or no signal form sensor. It can flood the cylinder with raw fuel as engine cranked. This can leave a heavy fuel small as well.. If any spark plugs loose (walking out, very common) smell would be very strong in the bay.

Good point! Should be easy to spot.

But, if timing off by belt jump, cam sprocket clocking off, no spark from bad or no signal form sensor. It can flood the cylinder with raw fuel as engine cranked. This can leave a heavy fuel small as well.. If any spark plugs loose (walking out, very common) smell would be very strong in the bay.

Yup that too, very common.

Check all your wires on your distributor and make sure you didn’t knock one loose. Seems like you aren’t getting spark and flooded the engine. Check your dipstick and see if your oil smells like fuel to see if it had been flooded. Might need an oil change after you get it running.

same thing happened to me I accidentally disconnected the coil wire and flooded my engine.

Check all your wires on your distributor and make sure you didn’t knock one loose. Seems like you aren’t getting spark and flooded the engine. Check your dipstick and see if your oil smells like fuel to see if it had been flooded. Might need an oil change after you get it running.

same thing happened to me I accidentally disconnected the coil wire and flooded my engine.
Old school, coil issues. Been there;)
Sorry, but no distributor on the 4.7L.

When you removed the intake, did you remove as one entire unit, or did you separate and remove the throttle body in the process? Did you use all new gaskets? RE-Check every connection related to removing the intake:

This is for 03-05 but should give general idea of connections etc
View attachment 2491366View attachment 2491368
Thank you abuck99...looking at the diagrams the one thing that stands out is when I reassembled the fuel pressure pulsation damper, there were no gaskets. I do not remember any gaskets with it when I initially unscrewed it. Do u know if the 2002 LC fuel pressure pulsation damper is supposed to have gaskets? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom