Tall skinny tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really, regardless of manufacturer, these tires are not that tall - maybe skinny. But, my problem is I've re-geared for 35" tires, so for me - 31" tires are useless.
Me too its a work in progress I want 35" x 9" x15 16 and 17

Me too its a work in progress I want 35" x 9" x15 16 and 17
I wish Tirecappers could buy well worn surplus 8.25r16 michelin in bulk and recap them with one of their mud treads. Canadian military uses them on G wagons. They are a bit over 34" tall and 8-9" wide. The XZL is known to be a very long lasting durable tire. Retreads over that heavy duty quality core would probably be good to go.

How about a 285/75/17, which is a 34" x 11.5 size tire, for the most part. i am about to go down a size from a 35x12.5x17 to this size. Anyone running these? I have a fj62 and thinking that a tall skinny like this will be perfect...

Pics always help~!

@grinchy has anyone run these tires? They are tall and skinny but since only Goodyear makes them, i can only find a Tacoma thread where someone was running them. Definitely a rare size!

I am happy with my 255/85r16 (33.1x10x16) Interco Trxus MT's. Look good with the 16" Toyota rims. But I am on the hunt for the same size tire in AT with a winter rating. I have a spare set of Toyota rims to wrap.

tlc.JPG

@grinchy has anyone run these tires? They are tall and skinny but since only Goodyear makes them, i can only find a Tacoma thread where someone was running them. Definitely a rare size!
I haven't run them. The MTR has been around for a bit; reviews seem mixed, but there aren't a whole bunch of options in the skinny 34" and 35" range on 17s and up. It's a Top 3 manufacturer, so base quality should be pretty good. Notably Goodyear took over the 4wd-action sponsorship and the MTRs seem to be doing fine in the filming.

It's mentioned on this thread already, but Kenda has a Hybrid 35x10.5x17 that runs around 34.5" diameter. It's reputed to be a bit wider than spec, but certainly also an option. Next time I'm shopping it is likely between these two.

I am happy with my 255/85r16 (33.1x10x16) Interco Trxus MT's. Look good with the 16" Toyota rims. But I am on the hunt for the same size tire in AT with a winter rating. I have a spare set of Toyota rims to wrap.

View attachment 2491408
I've been running this tire on my 2018 Nissan CC Frontier Pro4X in a 255/85R16, they do really well in snow and pretty much all around driving. They're not quite an AT or MT they're winter rated and made by Cooper tire but cheaper than the STMaxx in a 255/85R16.

I've been running this tire on my 2018 Nissan CC Frontier Pro4X in a 255/85R16, they do really well in snow and pretty much all around driving. They're not quite an AT or MT they're winter rated and made by Cooper tire but cheaper than the STMaxx in a 255/85R16.
Interco has a variety of tall and skinny and if you're willing to go bias ply and noisy it opens up your options.

These are interesting to me and I almost went with them, but they are a very heavy high load tire. I think they would be stuff and not deform to rocks at low pressure as well for better traction as much as a tire rated for a lighter road. Submission XZL is an extremely durable, long life, high dollar tire. 8.25R16 Michelin XZL g wagon | Military Tires

Last edited:
Like these...35x10.00X16 Super Swamper TSL SX2
0430191731c.jpg
0430191828a (1).jpg
0430191830a.jpg

“Downsized” from a 35x12.5x17 to a 285/75/17. The Yokohama Geolander MT is a true 34x11.5x17 tire, and definitely a skinny. Gonna take some getting used to, but Roscoe appreciates the weight reduction and the steering is lighter as well.

Anyway, pics...!!

0E3A8C1F-749E-4DAB-B274-D081898DF7BB.jpeg
A396C50C-1ACD-4EA4-985A-94EAF977E790.jpeg

Tennessee80,

Would you mind taking a side picture of your wheel and tire combo. Also, what are your wheel specs. (width, back spacing) if you remember. Tires look awesome.

Thanks!

Way to go, @Tennessee80. Those Yoko's seem to be loved by those that run them. The combo looks great.

Way to go, @Tennessee80. Those Yoko's seem to be loved by those that run them. The combo looks great.

It ended up being really too skinny, and after a couple of days returned them and went back to a 35x12.5x17 (in the same Yoko M/T). For anyone looking at the Yokos, they are narrower than they are advertised, and even my 35x12.5 is right around 10" tread width, which is actually a great compromise between wide and narrow. The 285/75 had a very narrow tread width, just under 9"

It is a VERY quiet M/T tire, and really handles well on the road. The compound is softer than the Toyo M/T, which are definitely on the stiff side as far as tire compounds go.

So, @Tennessee80, maybe the G003 tire so many of us are looking for, tall, and skinnier then advertised. Possibly a good tire on a stock 15" wheel...Thank you for the input.

So, @Tennessee80, maybe the G003 tire so many of us are looking for, tall, and skinnier then advertised. Possibly a good tire on a stock 15" wheel...Thank you for the input.

Yeah, @AlaskanWheeler , people that are looking for the old school 33x9.50 would love that tire in a 33x10.50 size. I think @wngrog has that size (or similar) on a couple of his trucks and it looks awesome on a lower lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom