2000 LC Transmission Failure at 50k (50,381) Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find that if you can take a quick video of the problem, it may be easier for someone here to help diagnose the problem. Good luck.

I'll certainly be taking a video tomorrow when I can access the vehicle. Thank you!

Dude, how did you kill this 4-speed trany? did the water get in by any chance? or you killed the control board?
No idea, but you guys have given me hope that it could be something else. I've never taken her in water deeper than 6" or so, but I suppose water could have gotten in somehow. I don't see how I'd kill the control board. I've been putting her through her paces, but certainly not abusing her.

You might post up on some of the Colorado forums to see if someone is available to help troubleshoot. Rising Sun is a great group and there is also several more under the Clubhouse link above. Here is the direct link to it. Clubhouses
I'll do that – I appreciate the recommendation greatly.

Did you check the ATF level, color and smell? If you are not familiar with ATF smell, get a new qt of Dextron so you can compare. New it has a pretty strong smell and you are checking for a big shift towards burnt smell.

Afternoon,

So I'm currently at the dealer and can confirm the truck does not drive even when the CDL is locked. I also confirmed the transmission fluid seems to be at a decent level and in a decent condition.

Here's a video of the sound it's making. Note the vehicle is in park...

Thank you all again for your input.

IMG_1216.jpeg

IMG_1217.jpg

Looks at a low level to me.

Did you smell it? Smell burned?

Looks at a low level to me.

Did you smell it? Smell burned?

I thought so too, but the mechanic here said a true low level would be at the very bottom of the stick as the levels would rise if I were able to cycle through the gears and warm them up. It doesn't smell burnt.

If you are getting that noise while it is in the park it's not the flanges unfortunately, which would have been an easy fix. It does sound like it's the transmission.

Your truck does fall into the category of those early transmission failures, rare but there are several cases when they failed they failed with low and high millage. I think it was predominantly in the 2000 and early 2001s. Having said that I'd totally get a new transmission it's totally worth it on a truck like yours. As far as what the mechanic said lowballing you, I'd pay 10k for a truck like yours and fix it. Predatory is right.

Last edited:
If you are getting that noise while it is in the park it's not the flanges unfortunately, which would have been an easy fix. It does sound like it's the transmission.
Yeah, that's what I figured... Fingers crossed it could still perhaps be a flexplate issue though.

Your truck does fall into the category of those early transmission failures, rare but there are several cases. I think it was predominantly in the 2000 and early 2001s. Having said that I'd totally get a new transmission it completely worth it on a truck like yours. I'd pay 10k for a truck like yours and fix it.
Oh, absolutely, given the state of the interior, exterior, and other internals. If it does turn out to be the transmission, which is seeming more and more likely, I'm still deciding if I should go with a reman from the dealer which would hopefully address any weak points or have a shop rebuild this one or put a used one in.

Yeah, that's what I figured... Fingers crossed it could still perhaps be a flexplate issue though.

Oh, absolutely, given the state of the interior, exterior, and other internals. If it does turn out to be the transmission, which is seeming more and more likely, I'm still deciding if I should go with a reman from the dealer which would hopefully address any weak points or have a shop rebuild this one or put a used one in.

Yeah, so the flexplate could definitively be right. There have been cases of fractured flexplates.

Yeah, so the flexplate could definitively be right. There have been cases of fractured flexplates.

Its also the right sound in the right place. Good luck, hoping that's what it is.

Afternoon,

So I'm currently at the dealer and can confirm the truck does not drive even when the CDL is locked. I also confirmed the transmission fluid seems to be at a decent level and in a decent condition.

Here's a video of the sound it's making. Note the vehicle is in park...

Thank you all again for your input.

View attachment 2490851

View attachment 2490852
Trans or not, dump that battery. A five-year old battery in So. Cal heat is a failure just waiting to strand you.

Damn man...sorry to hear that. i was hoping you'd have an easy fix and be back on the road quick.

Low mileage Cruisers like yours are few and far between. Fix it right and cruise on.

Good luck with the repair and the rest of your journey!

I know, some in mud had these early transmission fail. Perhaps they could step-up and give some insight. Like, do the rattle like that and/or how did it act once failed?

Hearing rattle sound in video, my first though was flex plate. But pure speculation on my part. As I've yet to work on or even see in person, a busted flex plate or bad transmission. IMO, it's worth pulling inspection plate off bell-housing and taking a look at flex plate.

Did a quick search for reman trans from Toyota and it shows NLA. Make sure you know what they are planning to install ahead of time, from where its sourced and what the warranty is.

If that's the case, my preference in that situation would be a wrecking yard unit, probably from a 98 or 99 to avoid the slim chance of repeating history.

I saw various PN 89-00 all NLA. Could be Toyota found issue with 98-00 and the 01-02 corrected those issues. I can think of any reason the 01-02 won't work. Only thing that may make a difference is plugs for wires or cooler lines. I need 98-00 setting next to a 01-02 and check wire plugs for difference. But off the top of my head, I can't think of difference in fitment.

Might be an opportunity to get your transmission "built". At 50,000 km subject to reasonable maintenance a unit like yours is good as a keeper. Took the opportunity of getting my 4 speed A442F "built" with a shift kit and upgraded torque convertor when it started flaring between gears 12 years ago at about 250,000km. Now at 500,000 km and a considerable amount of power and torque tweaking continuing to go strong. Depends on timeframe budget and the level of petrol head genes in your dna. All the best.

Damn man...sorry to hear that. i was hoping you'd have an easy fix and be back on the road quick.

Low mileage Cruisers like yours are few and far between. Fix it right and cruise on.

Good luck with the repair and the rest of your journey!
Same here, but I still love her. Appreciate it!

I know, some in mud had these early transmission fail. Perhaps they could step-up and give some insight. Like, do the rattle like that and/or how did it act once failed?

Hearing rattle sound in video, my first though was flex plate. But pure speculation on my part. As I've yet to work on or even see in person, a busted flex plate or bad transmission. IMO, it's worth pulling inspection plate off bell-housing and taking a look at flex plate.
I'll absolutely be doing this first thing in the morning – thank you again for all your time and insight earlier!

Just to be clear, you have a 2000 Land Cruiser with 50,000 original miles on it? Or has the transmission been rebuilt and now has 50,000 miles on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom