Need advice from the group (100/200) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, first post here - I’m in the market for a family hauler that doubles as a cross country hard use over-lander. I’m in Ohio so I’ve been searching nationally for a rust free 100/200 series (Lexus badge included) with a top end budget of around 24k, though I’d rather be lower.

Recently I’ve been looking at a pre-built 02’ 100 from Kings Chariot ($24,200) and I’m at a crossroads in my search. A great condition 100 LC/LX is nearly as much as a 08-12 200 series, and although I prefer the classic styling of the 100 it’s hard to ignore the value threshold at the price point.

I’ve only driven a 100, and I like it - I’m coming from a 958 Cayenne Turbo S so I’m not expecting the ride quality, handling or power. But after paying north or $12,000 for out of warranty pano roof repairs ultimate reliability is what’s exciting to me and I plan on modifying to further improve reliability.

Specifically for the 02 I’m considering, it is in-line with how I would like to build my next vehicle (I’ll link below) but I’m questioning the 4-speed transmission, mostly because I can’t find as much information on the difference between it and the newer 5-speed. I also have a baby seat requirement for the next year so child safety seat latches are a must.

So what’s the sweet spot with price and model year? Is a low mile high price 100 a good investment considering the price matrix with the 570/200?

I drive around 35,000/mi annually and I plan on keeping and driving my next vehicle for at least 10 years.

Thanks!
Reference to the 02 Inventory Unit Detail King's Chariot Jacksonville, FL (904) 419-7272

Good to know - Dealers are trying to charge around $16-18,600 for a low rust 03-05. I’ve done around 5 PPIs on this year range, all of them were in serious need of repair. Main seals, bearings, belts and pump, sunroof. What should I expect to pay for a good example from a private seller? I think I’m done from dealers unless they’re specialized.

Do a search before you buy from Kings Chariot. #lipstickonapig

Thanks for the advice, someone else advised me of this a while back as well — The way I see it, unless I find a really good one from a private seller, either they’re putting the lipstick on the pig (with a warranty) or I am (without).

If this is going to be a daily driver and family hauler I'd go with as new of vehicle as you can and seriously look at a 200. Both the 100 and 200 are very capable in stock form. Add a set of good AT tires and you'll be good to go.

When it comes to the 100 the newest is approaching 14 years old and the oldest over 20. The vast majority are going to need at least modest work at the time of purchase or shortly after. Then they'll be things that pop up there after to deal with. It can be a costly proposition if you don't do your own wrenching. Not trying to turn you away from the 100 just want to make sure you go in with eyes wide open. They're fabulous vehicle, but superb reliability doesn't mean maintenance free.

My LC is a 01 and I'm satisfied with the power and 4 speed transmission. Two of the three second row seats have the latch system which I like. (Family of 5 with three kids still in car seats/ boosters) It has been a pleasure to own and drive. I really love my 100 but it's not a daily driver and family hauler. We've got a 2019 Highlander for that.

Edit to add: I would not buy a built rig. For me half of the fun is building it myself. Secondly, you don't know how "bubbied up" (redneck term for hack job, poorly executed, etc) it might be. The exception would be if it came from someone like Slee.

Last edited:
I like my 100 a lot, but I don’t think there’s a 100 out there that I would pay 25k for. There’s no comparison between the 100 and 200. The 200 is superior in nearly every way - power, comfort, and mileage.
DB16876F-CC42-4CD3-A84E-AE0E5257BCE5.jpeg

I like my 100 a lot, but I don’t think there’s a 100 out there that I would pay 25k for. There’s no comparison between the 100 and 200. The 200 is superior in nearly every way - power, comfort, and mileage. View attachment 2489728

I've been extremely happy/blessed with my '05 470 and the really great friend that I bought it from continues to wish he had not sold it because he hasn't been happy with the 200 he replaced it with. This friend could afford to buy a new 200 but opted for a '10 with very low mileage... He advises it just does not give him the ride and handling he enjoyed in the 💯. He does admit that he really enjoys the increased power and fuel economy but after I made some minor changes to the 💯 he was blown away.

Before:

6EBE8E35-6F55-445B-8923-36B32EAA3EF3.jpeg

After:

IMG_3238.jpg

If you can, get some wheel time in as many of both the 💯 and the 200 series as you can. Seat of the pants is a great metric for cash outlay. If Momma and the kids are going to be in the equation, it makes perfect sense to get them into both too. See how they both fit and determine how far you'll need to go to get the machine you decide on where it needs to be to pull off the end state you desire. I've had really great luck staying just under the radar with upgrades and then demonstrating why they were so important to the safety of the family.

Good Luck on your journey, we've all been there. Some of us here have been there multiple times... Keep your eyes peeled, be patient, keep researching and a good one will present... You are in a good place here on MUD to get great Intel on these incredibly capable machines.

Cheers mate,
G

One of each. We purchased a 2000 LC used with 150k Miles on it 15 years ago for $10k. Took it everywhere and raised 2 kids in it. The oldest drive it until he bought his Tacoma and now my daughter will drive it until she finds her dream 4 runner. It now has 235k on it and runs like a top. Brakes, tires and just put in the second battery after 15 years. And what’s it worth??? More then I paid!
We also purchased a used ‘15 with 12k miles on it. The power difference is ridiculous, but unnecessary though mileage is the same at 16-18mpg. I wish he rear wing windows were still an option but they’re gone. And anybody that tells you the interior is more comfortable is lying. The 100 is plush compared to the 200 which shortened up the seats and took out padding. I m 6’ and the 100 is way more comply, especially the rear seat. The 200 reclines in the middle of your back...WTF? Also, rear seats don’t pop out of the 200 like the 100
Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a 100 over a 200, though that 5.7 is a beast!
200 pros. Power/better stereo though not great
100 pros. More comfortable/rear vent windows/removable rear seat/clears 285’s stock/proven reliability/buy on at $10-$15k and have a ton of cash to outfit the way you want

I have a 2004 LC and have driven a few 200s over the years. One of my favorite things about the 100 is how great the visibility is for the driver — makes for very easy maneuvering/control of the vehicle. I felt the 200s view was somewhat compromised by the hood height, dash and the A pillar seemed larger as well. My LC has been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. It’s my daily driver going on 5 years now and for several years hauled our 4 kids all over the place. Good luck, they’re both great vehicles.

EA148F84-B8F3-4134-9EB9-4A31E1FD8832.jpeg

6A153E8B-1445-4F9D-B5C3-3F41AC0C3CA8.jpeg

2E5EB9DE-2968-49E7-B186-7A9A4FF11405.jpeg

Come to Cali and get a 01-04 100 LC/LX for 8k-12k this is the sweet spot for 100, don't overpay at 15k-20K for a 100 save your pennies for 200 at 20k-30k. Just my 2c, some love the 100 that paying 15k-20K is money well spent but if you can afford the 200 don't look back.

I had a similar budget and requirements (albeit with a very high tolerance for DIY work) and ended up with a relatively clean 06 LX that I built up this year. I got a good deal, but it did come with surprises which would have cost a non-DIY person a lot. No regrets for me, though.

A 200 would be awesome, but I don't think you're going to have many options for a clean and well-kept 200 at 25k. Conversely, at $20k, you should have TONS of options on clean 100s. The 06-07's have a variable timing motor that eeks out more power from the 2UZ and of course the 5 speed.

If you can find a clean 200 in that price range, go for it, but if you're buying an LX, budget for bumpers if you're off-roading. OEM 200 LX bumpers are pretty much a non-starter for off-roading, IMO.

At $30k and no need for wheeling, a 200 is the obvious choice to me. At $20k and a desire to wheel, the 100 may be a better choice.

Thanks for the input everyone, it’s very helpful. I guess my next question is, is the LX 570 identical to the LC200 the way the 470 is to the 100? Because like the 100, the Lexus IS the better value prop.

Also just to note - not shy with DIY, I have plenty of tools. I am less familiar with these vehicles than my Porsche. Don’t own a lift.

I have a 2004 LC and have driven a few 200s over the years. One of my favorite things about the 100 is how great the visibility is for the driver — makes for very easy maneuvering/control of the vehicle. I felt the 200s view was somewhat compromised by the hood height, dash and the A pillar seemed larger as well. My LC has been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. It’s my daily driver going on 5 years now and for several years hauled our 4 kids all over the place. Good luck, they’re both great vehicles.

View attachment 2489949

View attachment 2489950

View attachment 2489951

Think you won my wife over to the 100 side with those pictures and info, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the input everyone, it’s very helpful. I guess my next question is, is the LX 570 identical to the LC200 the way the 470 is to the 100? Because like the 100, the Lexus IS the better value prop.
For me, the big difference was the bumpers. A 200 LC has a non-intrusive bumper. You could wheel with the stock bumper. The stock 200 LX bumper was a joke from what I remember. A front bumper (or a hacksaw) was basically a requirement from the get-go for a 200 LX for me. With the 100, the bumpers are both pretty off-road friendly in OEM form.

From there, the other difference that I had in mind was radar cruise and ventilated seats. In the LC, I think you needed 2016 and up and for the LX, they had some options starting earlier. Don't recall the exact year. The 2016+ LC looks amazing and I think the pre-2016 LC looks pretty disappointing until it's armored up. It's one of the most starkly different front end appearance of any mid-run facelift I know of. The LX looks fine most any year, but again I was planning on the armor front bumper immediately if I bought a 200 LX.

Once built, I think the LX is the way to go. It's the same bones with more R&D thrown at the refinements. You can add lockers/bumpers other gear to either, but you're never going to replicate the Lexus niceties as well as Lexus did from the factory to a Toyota LC.

The differences between the LC200 and the LX570 are the air suspension on the LX. Otherwise they are mechanically identical. Exterior looks, and interior features and options are different but mechanically they’re virtually the same except for suspension. The Lexus will be cheaper, and will be more likely to have had an easy life with dealer service as a luxury vehicle.

That said, I bought a 2016 LC used despite it being less of a value. I prefer the looks of the LC, and the interior.

Alternatively, buy a supercharged Previa and an 80-series. It's not like you'll get roasted on insurance costs on either vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom