500,000 mile 96. What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 with 500,000 miles. Has what sounds like timing chain noise. No knocks or heavy noises. Uses no oil at start up or driving.

Option 1. New short block/head from Toyota. total cost of project ~ $6500

Option 2. Rebuilt long block. ~ $5000

Option 3. Rebuild this engine ~ $2500

Option 4. Replace timing components and oil pump and keep going. $400

What would you do and why?

Replace timing chain and tensioner.

If you plan on keeping it for life I would go with option one for sure.

Well, if you have the money to do all of those options then I see no harm in replacing the timing chain and tensioner and just driving her til she's done. Ultimately it's up to you and what you have in mind for the vehicle. If it were me and I was planning some long, gnarly trips then a new engine would probably be the ticket. But if you're staying semi-local and currently have no major issues then why not use what you got and THEN plop in a new engine when the current one dies? Win-win.

if the block and head are in good condition why replace it, do a rebuild. in the short term you can do the timing components and wait on a full rebuild

If it hasn’t had any previous major engine work I’d go option 1 and drive it another 500k. I’m certain more than one of us would love to hear the history of the truck. Have you owned it for all or a significant portion of its life? If so what repairs have been completed along the way and what sort of maintenance regiment have you followed?

Call me old school (or cheap), but options 1-3 seem silly to immediately jump to as a conclusion for what has been vaguely diagnosed as noise. I'd go option 4 for sure based on what information is known, which is very little. Realistically, diagnose the noise first. Keep the cash in your wallet for now.

Buy a used engine and transplant. Drive till it dies. $1000-$1500

What sort of miles? Are these all freeway miles? I’d do timing chain and tensioner and have the head refreshed.

When the head is off, and the cylinder walls look good, you should be fine. If you want to take it to the next level, replace the rod bearings.

The fact that your rig’s engine made it to half a million, I’d keep it because it’s obviously a solid block with no defects. Why replace reliable with something of unknown quality.

Donaldburks: can you post up a video of the noise?

Has the head been rebuilt (new head gasket, valve stem seals/guides) anytime within the last 200,000-250,000 miles?

I would run what you have till it dies and while you find a good used engine. Timing chain is a lifetime item. It’s beefy. A little slack will not hurt anything. If anything put a new chain tensioner. 2 bolts on the PS of the block.

Send Toyota a little thanks email and tell them how you love the truck and how many miles you have. Then option 1

Replace the chain and tensioner and run her till she blows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom