76 Cruiser, 2 questions-Exhaust Routing and Factory Manuals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to get new exhaust system Friday. The current system ends underneath the drivers compartment pretty far in front of the drivers rear tire. I'm not trying to replicate all of the components but is there someplace I can get a layout of how my model year originally ran? The shop I took the FJ40 to says they can fab anything as long as they have a good idea of where it routes and where it should exit.

Second question kind of came from researching the first. Lots of posts about manuals, most recommend getting the FSM, but quite a few of the links are no longer good. 2 questions:
1) In PDF's I found I could NOT find the exhaust listed in either the 2F Engine Manual or the Chassis and Frame manuals. Is there one in a different Factory Manual?
2) Is there anywhere you can buy either good originals of these manuals or decent reprints?

I have the Haynes Manual for my version of the Cruiser, but it doesn't have a layout of the exhaust system either.

Thanks in advance....

// Edited king back to kind in the 'Second Question" sentence.

Last edited:
along the left side frame rail, over the rear axle, across the frame behind the axle is where the muffler was located, exiting straight out the side behind the right side rear tire.
it ran under the belly pan for the trans/transfer...pretty easy to get it above the belly pan.

exhaustnov18.jpg

exhaustnov18B.jpg

exhaustnov18E.jpg

exhaustnov18D.jpg

along the left side frame rail, over the rear axle, across the frame behind the axle is where the muffler was located, exiting straight out the side behind the right side rear tire.
it ran under the belly pan for the trans/transfer...pretty easy to get it above the belly pan.
These pictures are perfect. Thank you very very much.

I have some pictures of my 10/75 76 model. It's still stock. Factory the exhaust runs under the skid plate and muffler is very large. Not a lot of work to install the 1/79+ muffler tailpipe that is still available.

I have some pictures of my 10/75 76 model. It's still stock. Factory the exhaust runs under the skid plate and muffler is very large. Not a lot of work to install the 1/79+ muffler tailpipe that is still available.

Because of the pictures brian supplied I found out that I don’t have that skid plate. Found some used ones online and will probably get one.

I am taking it to a custom exhaust shop, not Midas, and he said that he can rout it however I want. I told him I don’t need factory parts but I’d like the routing to be similar to what the vehicle had originally.

One of my earlier FJ40’s had the exhaust pipe right behind the drivers rear wheel. But I heard it changed for 1976 models.

Thanks for the confirmation and the routing information.

Because of the pictures brian supplied I found out that I don’t have that skid plate. Found some used ones online and will probably get one.

I am taking it to a custom exhaust shop, not Midas, and he said that he can rout it however I want. I told him I don’t need factory parts but I’d like the routing to be similar to what the vehicle had originally.

One of my earlier FJ40’s had the exhaust pipe right behind the drivers rear wheel. But I heard it changed for 1976 models.

Thanks for the confirmation and the routing information.

Few things to keep in mind. The area above the muffler had a large heat shield bolted to the floor. Behind the skid plate where the exhaust angle up there was another heat shield bolted to the floor. There wasn't one above the skid plate but that because the exhaust ran below it. My 76 has only 4,500 miles on it and never plan running it anywhere the exhaust would get damaged. But if you plan on actually running more than forest service roads plan on getting the exhaust damaged. Besides the two heat shields in the back would plan on something around the transmission transfer case above the skid plate if you ever drive it when heat in the cab isn't needed or wanted.

Few things to keep in mind. The area above the muffler had a large heat shield bolted to the floor. Behind the skid plate where the exhaust angle up there was another heat shield bolted to the floor. There wasn't one above the skid plate but that because the exhaust ran below it. My 76 has only 4,500 miles on it and never plan running it anywhere the exhaust would get damaged. But if you plan on actually running more than forest service roads plan on getting the exhaust damaged. Besides the two heat shields in the back would plan on something around the transmission transfer case above the skid plate if you ever drive it when heat in the cab isn't needed or wanted.
Thanks. I don’t plan on doing anything extreme with this FJ40 like I did with my previous ones. I do plan on getting that plate now that I know it’s missing, but I will probably put the muffler itself after the turn towards the passenger side to exhaust, like the pictures Brian sent.

I don’t know if I still need the heat shields or not. Right now the exhaust dumps right where the transfer plate isn’t.

Thanks. I don’t plan on doing anything extreme with this FJ40 like I did with my previous ones. I do plan on getting that plate now that I know it’s missing, but I will probably put the muffler itself after the turn towards the passenger side to exhaust, like the pictures Brian sent.

I don’t know if I still need the heat shields or not. Right now the exhaust dumps right where the transfer plate isn’t.

I was giving you heads up about the heat shield before you ran the exhaust. Appears you might live where they salt. The cavity between the floor and heat shield would be another place for salt to collect and rust. While they do salt in AZ but I never use any of my Land Cruisers when they do. Luckily where I have a home in the northern part of the state I can drive into the forest without leavimg the subdivision where they do not salt.

I was giving you heads up about the heat shield before you ran the exhaust. Appears you might live where they salt. The cavity between the floor and heat shield would be another place for salt to collect and rust. While they do salt in AZ but I never use any of my Land Cruisers when they do. Luckily where I have a home in the northern part of the state I can drive into the forest without leavimg the subdivision where they do not salt.
You have a good eye. I live in Nebraska and yes they do salt. If anything, they put more salt down now than they did in the 70’s & 80’s when I owned my earlier FJ40’s.
So to make sure that I understand, you are saying salt can collect on that plate if it’s there and with the heat and salt it’s a bad corrosion area? I saw that some FJ40 mufflers and tail pipes showed a heat shield but I haven’t found a drawing of the exhaust system in my Hayes book or in online pdf’s of the factory manual for the 2F engine or the chassis and frame manual.

You have a good eye. I live in Nebraska and yes they do salt. If anything, they put more salt down now than they did in the 70’s & 80’s when I owned my earlier FJ40’s.
So to make sure that I understand, you are saying salt can collect on that plate if it’s there and with the heat and salt it’s a bad corrosion area? I saw that some FJ40 mufflers and tail pipes showed a heat shield but I haven’t found a drawing of the exhaust system in my Hayes book or in online pdf’s of the factory manual for the 2F engine or the chassis and frame manual.

The heat shields have a gap between them and the floor. Conducts less heat with the air space. The salt spray kicked up by the tires will get on top of the heat and collect. As you added the heat from the exhaust will help the rust process. Luckily I've never lived in an area that salt is that big of a problem. Been lucky most times I travel in snow have been headed south and half way thru the trip snows turns to rain where it not been salted. That works better than the Costco car wash with it's underside rinse.

Not the greatest picture but this is the heat shield in a 3/82 FJ40 possible project I have. Heat shield is the same 1/79 the exhaust ran outside the frame at the firewall then back across infront of the rear axle. Those had a CAT with its own heat shield and heat shield attached directly to the exhaust pipe.
IMG_20201105_112111825.jpg

Not the greatest picture but this is the heat shield in a 3/82 FJ40 possible project I have. Heat shield is the same 1/79 the exhaust ran outside the frame at the firewall then back across infront of the rear axle. Those had a CAT with its own heat shield and heat shield attached directly to the exhaust pipe.

This is at the underside rear of the cruiser correct?
I appreciate the picture and I will talk to the shop installing the exhaust and see what they can put to shield the muffler or the tailpipe from putting excessive heat on a body part. I noticed that SOR shows a ‘clamp onto the exhaust pipe’ heat shield on one of their FJ40 exhaust systems . I’ll see if I or the shop can protect that area as well. I appreciate all the information. I have forgotten a lot more than I thought about FJ40’s.

This is at the underside rear of the cruiser correct?
I appreciate the picture and I will talk to the shop installing the exhaust and see what they can put to shield the muffler or the tailpipe from putting excessive heat on a body part. I noticed that SOR shows a ‘clamp onto the exhaust pipe’ heat shield on one of their FJ40 exhaust systems . I’ll see if I or the shop can protect that area as well. I appreciate all the information. I have forgotten a lot more than I thought about FJ40’s.

Yes that is the the back. Have a board lifting the tub off the frame.

I show the shield clamped to the exhaust only on the 1/79+ with a CAT. Guessing for the same reason only the 1/79-7/80 FJ40 has the exhaust split into two smaller pipes and running under the frame verses over like the non cat models. Exhaust is hotter with a CAT. 8/80 it was rerouted over the frame and heat shield was added to the lower firewall. Shields behind the CAT were still there.

Have some parts for future projects.

The heat shield on exhaust behind the CAT
IMG_20201105_131855946.jpg

The heat shield used on the 1/75-1/79 FJ40 behind the skid plate.
IMG_20201105_132154731.jpg

The heat shield used on 1/75+ in the back.
IMG_20201105_132205898.jpg

You have been a lot of help. I’ll see if those heat shields are there. They very well may not be because the guy I bought it from took everything off, bead blasted everything to bare metal and replaced all rusted parts with metal. He works for a body shop and did this in his spare time. But I think that’s why I’m missing parts you are mentioning.
That’s a guess on my part. But I didn’t look for them when I bought it they may be there. I’ll look before heading over to drop it off tonight.

I don't know how to add multiple users to a reply, so I just made 2 of them. I want to thank you again for your pictures. I took it to a custom exhaust shop and I should have it back tomorrow. Both you and Living in the Past have been a great help. I'll post pictures Saturday of the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom