Came out to a pile of coolant / radiator fluid under my vehicle - just did a flush last week. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I came out to a puddle of fluid under my vehicle, checked the radiator and it was empty, reservoir empty as well, and I also looked underneath the vehicle and noticed that maybe its these hoses that are leaking?

What are the names for these two hoses?

IMG_7169.jpg

Under the front driver side. All of the main bigger hoses were dry and not leaking I believe. These were the only wet hoses I saw.

Any tips on figuring out where the leak came from? I headgasket tested it just last week as well and no combustion gas was escaping so no issues there I believe.

Could this just be a simple case of replacing the hoses and filling it back up and she should be good to go?

Edit:

I'm now starting to suspect it is the PHH as others have stated.

Last edited:
Search for PHH and/or FHH

Could also be the heater valve.

Any dried (white) residue/splatter on the hood insulation?

Could also be the heater valve.

Any dried (white) residue/splatter on the hood insulation?

Nope, none, just went thru every hose and felt and looked at them and the only wet one i saw is this one with the arrow on it. Same picture as above. Do you know the name for this hose / connection point?

IMG_7169.jpg

Second hose above is dry i believe but the closer one to the camera is all wet.

That arrow looks to be pointing to one of the transmission cooler lines. Your leak is coming from something above that. As previously posted it is most likely the PHH, the smaller FHH or possibly the Heater Control valve connection.

That arrow looks to be pointing to one of the transmission cooler lines. Your leak is coming from something above that. As previously posted it is most likely the PHH, the smaller FHH or possibly the Heater Control valve connection.
Thank you for the response. Well I just went out and thoroughly examined all lines and hoses again for a third time. The only spot where I can confirm its leaking is indeed the picture in the thread start post. Steel to rubber connection. 2 lines right by each other.

Whats a good way to test? Just fill her up and send it?

At this point the coolant system is lacking fluid so yes you most likely will not see the leak until you add distilled water.

At this point the coolant system is lacking fluid so yes you most likely will not see the leak until you add distilled water.
Who makes the best green stuff these days?

Until you figure out the source of the leak I would only add distilled water. Tap water no. The leak appears to be significant and there is no reason to dump antifreeze all over. Don't know where you live just make sure you are not risking freezing as the current antifreeze get diluted. Once you find and repair your leak the it's time for a complete flush and fill.

Who makes the best green stuff these days?

Just use distilled water or tap if youre fine with at this point to find the leak. I dont think the lines in the image you posted are not coolant lines and the lines you have arrowed in the Wits End poster are the rear cab heater lines.. They're father back than under the intake plenum and starter...

Until you figure out the source of the leak I would only add distilled water. Tap water no. The leak appears to be significant and there is no reason to dump antifreeze all over. Don't know where you live just make sure you are not risking freezing as the current antifreeze get diluted. Once you find and repair your leak the it's time for a complete flush and fill.
Just use distilled water or tap if youre fine with at this point to find the leak. I dont think the lines in the image you posted are not coolant lines and the lines you have arrowed in the Wits End poster are the rear cab heater lines.. They're father back than under the intake plenum and starter...
Thank you lads. So distilled water straight into the overflow tank or... radiator? Sorry, with the questions, first time I've owned a FZJ80 again in a while.

Thank you lads. So distilled water straight into the overflow tank or... radiator? Sorry, with the questions, first time I've owned a FZJ80 again in a while.

No worries, welcome to the club, straight into the radiator

A trick I've used in the past is taking my Workaround for my PHH (pesky heater hoose) which runs into the heater control valve on the firewall. I take that off plug the one side and then run garden hoose into it the other end going into the heater control valve *you need to have the heater on full and have the valve open, run the hose until water starts flowing out wherever it's leaking.. you'll need to take out the thermostat as well... I also use this method when I'm flushing my cooling system out. Some people are not comfortable using hose water in the cooling system but to each their own..

Fill your radiator with D water run the engine fill again until full and thermostat opens you will see turbulence shut down engine use this

To pressures your system and watch for leaks

I would go ahead and replace those transmission cooler lines. 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) rubber hoses. Your local Autozone or O'Reilly's has them. Throw out the old clamps and get new ones.

You said you did a flush last week, how much measured fluid were you able to get in? You might have had an air bubble or some blockage that was finally overcome and fluid was finally able to move into different parts of the motor and or radiator. I would think the radiator alone would hold almost 2 gallons of coolant. For 2 gallons to be on the garage floor would create a mess way more than just a puddle in my opinion. I would fill it back up and just monitor it again. Maybe even think about another flush if some blockage was removed, don't forget the engine block drain plug.

Double check the oil level too, hopefully the coolant didn't go in there.

Those are trans lines, not coolant.
Coolant is dripping onto those. Your block is wet, so the leak is coming from higher up.
Most likely, you won't find it unless you fill up w water and let it pressurize

Check the orange *or green colored hoses in the diagram on post #5, most likely one of those.

Thank you for the response. Well I just went out and thoroughly examined all lines and hoses again for a third time. The only spot where I can confirm its leaking is indeed the picture in the thread start post. Steel to rubber connection. 2 lines right by each other.

Whats a good way to test? Just fill her up and send it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom