Vacuum FD light won't come on... why not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any adjustment to make the transfer case switch to better sense the detent ball making the FD light come on?

I verified I have a detent ball. My light will illuminate when I test it removed from the transfer case by depressing the spring mechanism. I know 4WD engages because I can verify at the driveshaft but nothing I do turns the light on when switch is installed. I verify 12v at the switch.

My guess is the switch isn't being depressed enough by the detent ball. Any way to fix this? Or adjust it?

By chance, does anyone have a diameter measurement for the detent ball so I can verify the one I have is correct?

Solved. I placed a washer under the switch. It created enough room for the switch to work properly.

is this you switch in question ?

1604473127696.png

Yea like this one

IMG_3306.jpeg

@ToyotaMatt do you have a NOS 84610-30010 genuine Toyota 4WD indicator switch?

can anyone confirm the thread pitch and diameter on the switch please

i have a random box of these NOS type switches , but i need that TECH to confirm ?

thanks

matt

Good morning Matt: The switch that I have works. But there is about a 45 second delay between pulling the 4WD knob and getting a light on the dash. If I cycle it back and forth the time does get shorter. I'm not sure if the detent ball is installed which I need to verify. I've tightened all of the hose clamps and vacuum line fittings so I don't think there is a vacuum leak. Other ideas to shorten the delay?

Is the delay while just sitting, not moving? If so, what happens when you pull the knob while moving?

Good question: I believe every time I've switched from 2WD to 4WD, I've been stopped, but, honestly, I'm not sure. I'm almost positive, however, that I've gone from 4WD to 2WD while moving with the same delay.

Good morning Matt: The switch that I have works. But there is about a 45 second delay between pulling the 4WD knob and getting a light on the dash. If I cycle it back and forth the time does get shorter. I'm not sure if the detent ball is installed which I need to verify. I've tightened all of the hose clamps and vacuum line fittings so I don't think there is a vacuum leak. Other ideas to shorten the delay?

On my FJ62 the vacuum shift is sluggish when cold. After everything warms it reacts quicker. Besides vacuum could be a diaphragm that stiff that softens with heat. Or possibly the oil in the transfer case thinning down with heat.

Thanks Living in the Past. I've about concluded that it is just one of those quirks that goes along with driving a 52 year old vehicle.

Matt, should be the same as the 3spd reverse switch

can anyone confirm the thread pitch and diameter on the switch please

i have a random box of these NOS type switches , but i need that TECH to confirm ?

thanks

matt
Matt, When I get home I`ll confirm the pitch and post it if you still need it in a couple weeks

Matt, When I get home I`ll confirm the pitch and post it if you still need it in a couple weeks

that would be great , :)

as no-body has responded yet with any specs. :confused:

Well if I get off my lazy backside and walk to the shop in mid-90 deg temp and I find my broken (spare) switch I might measure it and give you the specs, someday 😝.

@ToyotaMatt front drive indicator switch specs m14-1.50

And there is not a reverse light switch on the early rigs, but I have a switch from a later rig I can measure if I get off my lazy backside again and walk to the shop in mid-90 deg temp and I can find that reverse light switch, someday. I repeat myself 😝.

Last edited:
The reverse light switch I have doesn’t thread into bracket, it’s retained by a large c-type clip. So it doesn‘t interchange with the FD indicator light switch. Not sure of year, mid- to late 60’s at least iirc.
IMG_3979.JPG

The reverse light switch I have doesn’t thread into bracket, it’s retained by a large c-type clip. So it doesn‘t interchange with the FD indicator light switch. Not sure of year, mid- to late 60’s at least iirc.
View attachment 3062685
My 69 with a Manufacturer date of May 68 is or was the same as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom