Post your wheeling damage pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I read it sounds like maybe the e-brake didn't hold. Sounds like he turned the engine off, set the brake, and got out, and then it started rolling. Guy tried to jump back in but the vehicle threw him as it started to roll off the road.

When a bunch of us did a very rainy Black Bear a few years back, that road beyond the harsh right turn was lined with maaany trucks waiting for folks on the turn. Someone almost surely would have been smashed by that Jeep.

When a bunch of us did a very rainy Black Bear a few years back, that road beyond the harsh right turn was lined with maaany trucks waiting for folks on the turn. Someone almost surely would have been smashed by that Jeep.
Oh yeah this could have been MUCH worse, both for the Jeep owner and for others below. I was only pointing out that it doesn't sound like they drove off the road, but rather had some sort of mechanical failure (or mistake?) which was the catalyst.

This thread is funny. Believe it or not but the last time I visited this thread was in 2009 when it was first started. Someone had a scratched quarter panel back then. But now -- 35 pages later - the carnage that time and adventurism has taken on these vehicles is an eye popper

I wasn't paying attention and hit a rock on the Echo Canyon trail in Death Valley. I think the tire was already weakened from previous wheeling trips. I can see now why people carry two spares. I couldn't find a replacement tire anywhere near me so I had to cut the trip short because I didn't want to risk getting another flat without a spare.

tire.jpg

I wasn't paying attention and hit a rock on the Echo Canyon trail in Death Valley. I think the tire was already weakened from previous wheeling trips. I can see now why people carry two spares. I couldn't find a replacement tire anywhere near me so I had to cut the trip short because I didn't want to risk getting another flat without a spare.

View attachment 2476637
That's unfortunate, bummer. Do you know the details of how it happened, like mph when puncture occured, Rock crawling or crusing down the trail?

View attachment 2476637
Did you have a TPMS warning kick off at all or were you running below the pressure threshold for notification? We now carry two spares with us when we go out on the trails because we've run into this exact scenario three times (Discount Tire warranty to the rescue each time). It gives us the freedom to have another bad day before we call the trip quits in order to get replacements. Also, rims need battle scars too!

Ouch, that's a proper sidewall gash! I carry a patch kit to hopefully address punctures and make a single spare go longer, but there's nothing to help that kind of damage.

Yes, interested in details, including tire pressure if you don't mind.

What tires are you thinking of next?

That's unfortunate, bummer. Do you know the details of how it happened, like mph when puncture occured, Rock crawling or crusing down the trail?
I was cruising down the trail and travelling around 20 to 25 mph when I hit a random rock about the size of a small soccer ball on the side of the road. I'm not sure if I hit is straight on or if it was a glancing blow.

Did you have a TPMS warning kick off at all or were you running below the pressure threshold for notification?
There was no TPMS warning at all. I was almost certain I had a flat but the monitoring indicated all tires full at least for the several seconds it took me to stop and visually check the tire. It seems the TPMS system updates periodically only and is not real time.

Yes, interested in details, including tire pressure if you don't mind.

What tires are you thinking of next?
I was aired down to about 17 psi.

My next set of tires will most likely be a 35x12.5 in a more aggressive hybrid AT/MT tread pattern (been following your 35-inch tire thread to see what exactly needs to be done fit them). I'm currently leaning towards the Kenda Klever RTs because I like the way they look, get good reviews, and are relatively inexpensive.

There was no TPMS warning at all. I was almost certain I had a flat but the monitoring indicated all tires full at least for the several seconds it took me to stop and visually check the tire. It seems the TPMS system updates periodically only and is not real time.

I've noticed when I fill or delate my tires and watch the TPMS on the dash that the sensors send an update about once every 20 seconds.

Coming off a 2ft ledge, with a sheer drop off on my side, the rear end slipped on some ice and slid sideways into a boulder, which was the only thing stopping me from going over the edge.

Either that, or I completely forgot that I had my utility trailer attached and tried doing a sharp, 90 degree backup into my driveway.

52913431-FF67-43C9-A5B8-A97E671A7D92.jpeg

Coming off a 2ft ledge, with a sheer drop off on my side, the rear end slipped on some ice and slid sideways into a boulder, which was the only thing stopping me from going over the edge.

Either that, or I completely forgot that I had my utility trailer attached and tried doing a sharp, 90 degree backup into my driveway.

Looks like a perfect time for @FlightMedic178 's bumper chop :hmm:

How did you cave in both of your passenger side doors?? And what happened to the tire ontop?

And why is there white paper down the sides, to prevent pinstripes? A lot going on....
Hell yeah a lot going on! The passenger side is my dumbass driving up to close against a tree after we made it through all the obstacles. The tire blew when I dropped down the cliff. The white paper is actually yes pinstripe protection magnetic sheets that I cut out. There’s a company that makes them for Tacoma‘s but they don’t make them for land cruisers yet.

Word to the wise the arrow for the obstacle pointed to the ledge. But it was very misleading it’s supposed to be coming up the ledge from the front side not driving down from the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom