FJ80 1991 3FE won’t start, but starts with a relay wire?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I brought my FJ80 knowing it had issues. Needed a new A440F box and wouldn’t run on fuel, sorted. But no I have a real issue where the car will not crank by key. Can hear a click but nothing. Vehicle was previously converted to dual fuel and has some dodgy aftermarket alarm wiring under the RHS footwell. There is a relay in the engine bay I would assume is to override something and to start the car as it connects to the starter and battery. There is a odd purple wire that leads to knowhere that will crank the starter from the starter and will crank when put straight to the positive terminal. Where does it go? And was it connected to the ignition and I may have knocked it out? It’s a male spade connector. Note, it started by key before I replaced the gearbox and dropped out the starter before replacement. Any ideas would be appreciated. And have also swapped out the NSW with no luck.

I would bet it is alarm related with an ignition cutoff.

Is there a "valet" switch under the dash someplace to bypass and test?

Sorry for the late reply, got around to removing the alarm system today, car still doesn’t crank from the key, and still starts if I jump the starter. It’s only happened since replacing the box

Sorry for the late reply, got around to removing the alarm system today, car still doesn’t crank from the key, and still starts if I jump the starter. It’s only happened since replacing the box
By "box" do you mean transmission?
By transmission do you mean A440F or a different one?

On the A440F, the neutral start switch is on the left side of the transmission housing. The wires run over the top of the transmission and terminate to 2 connectors on the right side of the bell housing above the starter. The larger multi pin connector runs the dash tally lamps for gear selection and the smaller round connector is your neutral start switch. That is what allows the starter to crank in either P or N.

By "box" do you mean transmission?
By transmission do you mean A440F or a different one?

On the A440F, the neutral start switch is on the left side of the transmission housing. The wires run over the top of the transmission and terminate to 2 connectors on the right side of the bell housing above the starter. The larger multi pin connector runs the dash tally lamps for gear selection and the smaller round connector is your neutral start switch. That is what allows the starter to crank in either P or N.
A440f transmission. I did however get it to run by key, but now won’t stay running. It will run for a second but shut off. Solenoid only seems to be getting power when key is turned to “start” position and once key is let go it shuts down 🤦🤦

A440f transmission. I did however get it to run by key, but now won’t stay running. It will run for a second but shut off. Solenoid only seems to be getting power when key is turned to “start” position and once key is let go it shuts down 🤦🤦
However it does start and run seemlessly on gas. It has one relay for the starter circuit. One for gas and one for petrol, and an extra “petrol relay” and “start solenoid” on the same module, it’s all been tampered with when the gas conversion got done and alarm system was fitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom