How my Fj62 bought me an HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first thread & first real post. Been a long time lurker on here, but finally at a point where I feel like sharing my adventures & mishaps and really getting into waters where I need solid advice & recommendations.

Where to start. I have 2 trucks, an 88’ FJ62 that I bought when I was 23, that’s been my daily driver for 8 years and an 88’ HJ61 that I bought in June 2020.

It’s a bit of a story on how I acquired the new truck, so I apologize for the long-windedness & promise I’ll get more into the meat & potatoes of my build in future posts.

Let me start with my FJ62. She isn’t the best Landcruiser out there -wouldn’t win any beauty contests & always leaked some oil, but she’s been reliable and she’s mine. She started her life with me as a farm truck driving around the orchards I worked on in Eastern Kansas. At 25, I packed her up and with $800 (almost not enough for gas) we moved out to LA so I could try my hand working in film. My first place was a backyard in Van Nuys. I’d park in the dirt (there was no grass) and sleep in the back. The truck has been with me every step of the way out in LA. From the terrible movies no one’s ever seen, to the bigger shows that now take up most my time now. Hell she even outlasted my first marriage.

Unfortunately, in November last year a Porsch lost control on the highway in the rain and hit me so hard that she spun us into the lane next to me. After 6 months of fighting both his insurance and my insurance, getting the Highway Patrol to redact their original Incident Report & and a lot of therapy for my shoulder, I walked away with enough money to buy the Diesel 60 series I’d dreamed about since I was a teenager.

I wish I could say it’s been nothing but smooth sailing since I picked up the HJ61, but that wouldn’t be the truth. That’s what the thread will really be about. And I’d appreciate all the advice I can get here in the future, but I’ll get more into the details of the new truck here soon.

If any of you read all the way to the bottom here, thank you for listening to my ramblings. It felt important to to give a little homage to my first Landcruiser.

FD846333-130D-44BF-ACDD-8DE6716F7E42.jpeg

70215BEC-F9FE-44B2-8F3E-3776AFCCB1AA.jpeg

Welcome. Great story. Glad you got out of the crash less harmed. Love the reincarnation of the 62 into the 61. Cool rig. Love the stripes. Look forward to your journey.

Welcome. Great story. Glad you got out of the crash less harmed. Love the reincarnation of the 62 into the 61. Cool rig. Love the stripes. Look forward to your journey.
Thanks, I really did luck out. The wreck could of been a lot worse and fj62 is still drivable actually. Most the damage is to the body. Expensive damage, but not that noticeable. But in the end my money went farther just getting a new truck.

12HT? Cable locked? Full float rear?

12HT? Cable locked? Full float rear?

yep,12HT & front/rear cable lockers. I’ll have to take a look to confirm about the backside. Only had her 2 months. Most of which she’s been in the shop unfortunately.

Is that factory for these JDM hightops?

Sorry about the accident and the 62, but that 61 probably wiped any tears away. They are amazing vehicles.

Auto or 5spd? Any plans or mods for the 61?

Post some more pics!

Sorry about the accident and the 62, but that 61 probably wiped any tears away. They are amazing vehicles.

Auto or 5spd? Any plans or mods for the 61?

Post some more pics!
Thanks man, yea getting your dream truck definitely takes the sting off a bit.

It’s got the A440 in it for now, having some transmission issues which I’ll get into more details about later. Talking to Valley Hybrids about either dropping in a remanufactured A440 from Rodney in Australia or a 5 speed.

Other then that, just planning on putting some reliable gauges in somewhere and upgrading to a 3” exhaust. Might drop a 3rd battery in the back with a Redarc BCDC to power the fridge, but need to deal with how poorly the PO had things wired first. Already has OME suspension, and I updated the AC to R134 when I first got her.

Stand by for another long post. My first outing with her was quite the fiasco.

Highly recommend a 5spd. I never drove one with an auto but everything I read says the 5spd is night and day difference. H55 is super reliable and like $2500 brand new from Toyota. Plus shifting through the gears is an awesome experience.

Don't wait in the 3" exhuast either.. I waited like 4 years and wish that was one of my first mods. I just found a local exhuast shop and they had it done in 4 hours or so.

^^x2 on the 5spd.

Highly recommend a 5spd. I never drove one with an auto but everything I read says the 5spd is night and day difference. H55 is super reliable and like $2500 brand new from Toyota. Plus shifting through the gears is an awesome experience.

Don't wait in the 3" exhuast either.. I waited like 4 years and wish that was one of my first mods. I just found a local exhuast shop and they had it done in 4 hours or so.

I’ve have limited experience with the 5 speed in a 60 series, but have heard the same. My buddy put one in his fj62 years ago, but I only drove it a few times. My roommate just got a RHD Diesel Daihatsu Rugger, so shifting with the left hand isn’t completely foreign at least.

I’m waiting to see how they price out. I think the 5 speed is more expensive, even with the Rodney Transmission shipping from Australia.
I will update once I know more.

Great to hear the 3” exhaust worked out for you. It’s definitely moving up in my list after this transmission business is settled. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it run you to have the shop put it in?

So damn, I’m gonna have to go out of state I think to have my exhaust worked on. Not sure the exact limitations with CA laws, but no shop will install what I want on my truck.

I’m planning on registering in AZ anyways to make my life simpler, so just another things to take care of when I hit Flagstaff next.

Weekend project is spilling over into the week. Good thing I’m out of work right now!

Decided to install some sound dampening, but found a bunch of poorly applied bed liner under the carpet. I new there was some on the tailgate, but looks like the PO put this through out the entire inside. Didn’t look like they prepped the surface at all so it was peeling and chipping.

Didn’t want to stick $200 worth of kilmat to something peeling up and was worried about rust so spent a day scrapping out the cargo area.

Had to use paint stripper on the tailgate and ended up repainting the entire inside. Also, installing a storage hatch on the tailgate while I’m back there.

Cut out these wood panels for the back too. Planning on putting an aux battery with a Redarc BCDC somewhere. Couldn’t bring myself to cut into the originals to install more 12v plugs. Pritty happy with how they turned out. Couldn’t find the router so beveled everything with an angle grinder.

5D7E6C63-C1F0-47C1-8586-C964960DC191.jpeg

956E4F52-801C-4B2F-967D-B1566A8B687A.jpeg

2642873A-CF98-48E5-A4B4-A38815A94D1C.jpeg

573562E0-CFC5-430C-850A-AAA4AFC382C5.jpeg

12AB3D50-5BEE-4032-BD14-AA17737DAAD4.jpeg

Dig the storage hatch. Had seen that on a BJ60 on wondered if it was stock or not. Might just do the same to mine!
Wondering what the reasoning behind 3"exhaust mod is?
not familiar

Star Trek geek? :)

This is my first thread & first real post. Been a long time lurker on here, but finally at a point where I feel like sharing my adventures & mishaps and really getting into waters where I need solid advice & recommendations.

Where to start. I have 2 trucks, an 88’ FJ62 that I bought when I was 23, that’s been my daily driver for 8 years and an 88’ HJ61 that I bought in June 2020.

It’s a bit of a story on how I acquired the new truck, so I apologize for the long-windedness & promise I’ll get more into the meat & potatoes of my build in future posts.

Let me start with my FJ62. She isn’t the best Landcruiser out there -wouldn’t win any beauty contests & always leaked some oil, but she’s been reliable and she’s mine. She started her life with me as a farm truck driving around the orchards I worked on in Eastern Kansas. At 25, I packed her up and with $800 (almost not enough for gas) we moved out to LA so I could try my hand working in film. My first place was a backyard in Van Nuys. I’d park in the dirt (there was no grass) and sleep in the back. The truck has been with me every step of the way out in LA. From the terrible movies no one’s ever seen, to the bigger shows that now take up most my time now. Hell she even outlasted my first marriage.

Unfortunately, in November last year a Porsch lost control on the highway in the rain and hit me so hard that she spun us into the lane next to me. After 6 months of fighting both his insurance and my insurance, getting the Highway Patrol to redact their original Incident Report & and a lot of therapy for my shoulder, I walked away with enough money to buy the Diesel 60 series I’d dreamed about since I was a teenager.

I wish I could say it’s been nothing but smooth sailing since I picked up the HJ61, but that wouldn’t be the truth. That’s what the thread will really be about. And I’d appreciate all the advice I can get here in the future, but I’ll get more into the details of the new truck here soon.

If any of you read all the way to the bottom here, thank you for listening to my ramblings. It felt important to to give a little homage to my first Landcruiser.

View attachment 2411071

View attachment 2411073
Beautiful rigs - I am a proud HJ61 owner myself! I am interested in what rack you are using on your HJ. I currently have the factory aluminum rack that looks nice but would like a lower profile rack in the end I think.

I would also endorse the 5 speed - its amazing and shifting with left hand is a breeze! I held out until I could find the 5 speed and glad I did. Now if, like you, I could keep it out of the shop I would be a super happy camper.

thanks for sharing - look forward to following along as you are steps ahead of me but we are on the same journey.

D78756C5-6657-45AC-B0BF-068B65E60617.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome write up and can’t believe I’ve not seen it until now. If you go 5-speed (like everyone else...I highly recommend it) you’ll need to source a cross member, bell housing and flywheel. There’s a few smaller items that can be sourced from a late 60 part out. I don’t have an extra flywheel but may be able to help out with a bell housing if you go down this path. You mentioned having factory lockers. Excellent option if so. Please share more pics of the truck. Love those stripes :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom