amayama advice requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, I live in canada, have a 1995 HDJ81-RNMEW and had a collision with a deer. Long and short is that Toyota Canada will not help me, ( the parts guy said he could get the part but Toyota canada cancelled the order: they do not like RHD), so I am going for a buy out from the insurance company for the damage.

In the course of all this, I searched out the parts myself, and Amayama came up. I have seen the generally good reviews here, but still... is it a good idea to use that insurance pay out $ to buy the body parts I need through Amayama (assuming they are available; their site indicates 'yes')?

Left fender and flare is what is damaged, but I am thinking why not get the right front door and tailgate that is rusting as well? The costs involved will probably be offset by the increased value-'rust free' state of the vehicle, or so I think.

Can I trust their shipping costs on something large like body parts?

I imported my vehicle so I am used to sending $$ overseas and waiting for a month for my vehicle to show up, but I did that with Brave Auto after seeing positive reviews here. Does Amayama rate or not?

Assuming they have the parts and the shipping is correct, it seems 'too good to be true'...
any advice?

I've only ordered small parts from them, but no problems so far.

What is so different about the body panels on a RHD compared to a LHD? I know it is pretty different if you are talking about the cowl where the holes are for the wipers etc, but fenders, tailgates etc shouldn't be drastically different... well according to my logic...

Amayama may show the parts in stock, but my experience is that isn’t always the case. On a recent order the parts all showed in stock, but they cancelled two of them from my order.

You can also try Partsoq. Amayama as stated above will list a part in stock, but in some cases can't end up securing the part. This is especially true when the stock numbers are at 1.

I have had great experiences with their shipping.

I will add that with such a large order you run the risk of exceeding the money threshold for import taxes. Amayama is not responsible to collect this and you won't know until it hits customs. I think in the USA it's an $800 value cap. Over that and you have to pay the vat. From what I understand.

That kinda sucks about Toyota Canada. What are they thinking? That they bounce your parts order and you'll decide to throw in the towel on that old 80 and just pick up a fresh new Canadian spec 200 series instead or what?

Toyota Canada is playing it safe legally and politically most likely. Similar as when my local (USA) dealer would not sell me 1994 remanufactured front brake calipers for my 1996 FZJ80 as his system showed reman's did not exist for a 1996 model at that time. I then ordered front calipers for a 1994 (didn't mention it was going on a 96 model) and he sold them to me. There were/are the exact same part as the 1996-1997 models.

Point is, has the OP tried just ordering the correct part and not mentioning
that's it's for a RHD??

SNIP
Similar as when my local (USA) dealer would not sell me 1994 remanufactured front brake calipers for my 1996 FZJ80 as his system showed reman's did not exist for a 1996 model at that time. I then ordered front calipers for a 1994 (didn't mention it was going on a 96 model) and he sold them to me. There were/are the exact same part as the 1996-1997 models.

In a situation like this, I tend to think WWOD (What Would Onur Do?) That's a high standard for the average parts person to meet, though.

that's it's for a RHD??

That's a likely solution, unless your local Toyota parts pusher knows you well and is the only one within hundreds of miles, which can happen in Canada.

Toyota Canada is playing it safe legally and politically most likely. Similar as when my local (USA) dealer would not sell me 1994 remanufactured front brake calipers for my 1996 FZJ80 as his system showed reman's did not exist for a 1996 model at that time. I then ordered front calipers for a 1994 (didn't mention it was going on a 96 model) and he sold them to me. There were/are the exact same part as the 1996-1997 models.

that's it's for a RHD??

It helps if you spoon feed the dealership. Give them part #’s not your vin #.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Check the landcruiser market on facebook, there is a guy parting out a RHD diesel up in Canada

I've used amayama to ship to Australia.
Have had better results and faster with Partsouq.

A large portion of parts are going to be identical for LHD and RHD
Using an equivalent LHD model can help bypass the issues with the dealer.

You can also cross check part # compatibility by using Toyodiy, or other sites with EPC

AFAIK the only difference for fenders in some markets had an extra hole for a small lamp, the US models did not have that hole/lamp. FWIW.

What is so different about the body panels on a RHD compared to a LHD? I know it is pretty different if you are talking about the cowl where the holes are for the wipers etc, but fenders, tailgates etc shouldn't be drastically different... well according to my logic...
I think the differences are minor; the fender mirror, a spot for a reflector on the side

You can also try Partsoq. Amayama as stated above will list a part in stock, but in some cases can't end up securing the part. This is especially true when the stock numbers are at 1.

I will add that with such a large order you run the risk of exceeding the money threshold for import taxes. Amayama is not responsible to collect this and you won't know until it hits customs. I think in the USA it's an $800 value cap. Over that and you have to pay the vat. From what I understand.
thanks!

Why not just use Dave at Japan4x4, he is far superior to Amayama.

Cheers
maybe I'm looking at the wrong site, but it is all in Japanese...I can't navigate it!

that's it's for a RHD??
apparently the pats guy wanted to help me and the part was available in California or something, didn't mention it was for a RHD, but Toyota Canada cancelled the order. He said Toyota Canada does not want to deal with RHD, period.

I've used amayama to ship to Australia.
Have had better results and faster with Partsouq.

A large portion of parts are going to be identical for LHD and RHD
Using an equivalent LHD model can help bypass the issues with the dealer.

You can also cross check part # compatibility by using Toyodiy, or other sites with EPC
Ill try Patsouq again; I found their site but it kept reverting to Russian...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom