New member (looking for an LX470!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi y'all,
Obligatory first post and introduction before I dive right into asking stupid questions that could be answered with the search bar. New to LC/LXes, but drove a diesel 100 series in Germany and loved it, and have had Toyotas in the past and am looking to get back into a reliable rig. Lately I've had a series of VW TDIs, including the mighty Touareg, which whet my appetite for a capable offroad/travel vehicle. As great as they are (and I like 28 mpg a bit more than the UZ's 14), I don't want to own one past VW's very nice dieselgate warranty, or pay to fix it if things go sideways.

I think I've settled on the LX as a starting platform, and am looking for a clean example. Currently stuck in VT (none for sale here) due to COVID, as I work for state government and they won't allow travel to most other regions without a 2-week quarantine when I get back. So, either buying sight unseen and having it shipped (eek), or doing the research now and waiting until I can travel again and pick one up.

Looking forward to learning more about these!

Hi y'all,
Obligatory first post and introduction before I dive right into asking stupid questions that could be answered with the search bar. New to LC/LXes, but drove a diesel 100 series in Germany and loved it, and have had Toyotas in the past and am looking to get back into a reliable rig. Lately I've had a series of VW TDIs, including the mighty Touareg, which whet my appetite for a capable offroad/travel vehicle. As great as they are (and I like 28 mpg a bit more than the UZ's 14), I don't want to own one past VW's very nice dieselgate warranty, or pay to fix it if things go sideways.

I think I've settled on the LX as a starting platform, and am looking for a clean example. Currently stuck in VT (none for sale here) due to COVID, as I work for state government and they won't allow travel to most other regions without a 2-week quarantine when I get back. So, either buying sight unseen and having it shipped (eek), or doing the research now and waiting until I can travel again and pick one up.

Looking forward to learning more about these!

Welcome!

Best bet is to start a search on every platform, cars.com, autotrader, cargurus, craigslist, facebook, etc. Be patient, hold out for a southern car if possible or at least a car with documented service history. Avoid any excessive rust cars, minor serfice rust is ok.

Just know that there is a "land cruiser" tax on the 100 series. LX's tend to be a little more plentiful and more pavement queens. So make sure to check center lock and 4low since they don't get much used. Don't use it, you lose it!

Be patient, look around the US and take a flight. Get it inspected if you're unsure. But this place and it's members are invaluable to purchase and ownership of your vehicle.

Thanks for the welcome! That’s the plan for right now, unless I get very lucky and find a nice one locally. Prices seem to be all over the map, but seem highly correlated with mileage; 250k+ doesn’t scare me too much if it’s been taken care of, so I’m hoping I can find a reasonable early-00s for around 10k. Patience will pay off!

What’s the tongue weight on these? I’m thinking I could ride a motorcycle out to pick one up and put it on a hitch rack for the way home. I don’t trust flying just yet!

Welcome! The 100 series is as heavy, gets way worse gas mileage, and while not QUITE as refined as a Tuareg, they make up for it in simplicity, durability, and toughness. Tongue weight would be dictated by what you have for rear springs or how well maintained your AHC is with an LX. You'd be ok with a dirt bike, but a full size bike you'd need airbags. I've had success with car rentals, go out and inspect a vehicle - then have the owner meet you at the rental place once committed and drop the car and take yours home.

For reference, my 100 with old stock springs sagged 1.5" with 150lbs of tongue weight. With OME medium springs it sags 1.5" with 225 lbs of tongue weight.

I'm not knocking VW but I think you're going to be very pleased with the experience in an older Toyota or Lexus SUV. Good luck in your search and enjoy the ride once you find one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom