Mint "80" - Would You Have the Roof Cut Off to Install a Campteq? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you owned an 80 series that checks off all the boxes
-no rust - 3 lockers - diesel - manual - the right color etc etc.

You wanted to set it up for expedition use. Each time you think through the traveling/living/sleeping/cooking/beer drinking configurations, in the end, the Campteq checks off the boxes for multi-month at a time outside of the USA travel.

So - would you cut a big hole in the roof of this 8/10 30 yo classic to accomplish the task? Would you be able to sleep at night knowing what you have just done!!!

Nope, can't afford to buy another one - or any alternate scenario ya'll may conjure up. One & fn done son....

Last edited:
Then what are you asking here, sounds like you got your answer already? 😁
As posted above this is what I'm axing " So - would you cut a big hole in the roof of this pristine 30 yo classic to accomplish the task? Would you be able to sleep at night knowing what you have just done!!! "

I don't have my answer at all. I'll let you know when I do. How bout dat.

Yes. It's still 30 years old. And classic to only a small group.
I'll be picking up my campteq in November. My rig is far from pristine though. But it checks all my boxes.
You don't have to cut the roof, although I don't see the point of an actual campteq if you dont.
I couldn't sleep at night having a pristine 80. Best thing about the 80 is I'm not afraid to abuse it.

Last edited:
Secret - I may have trumped up the condition of the 80 - I changed it to an 8/10 which is a better representation. I could buy a 6/10 but I want a more sorted out vehicle.!
I agree 100% that I would not bother with a Campteq if I would not cutting the roof - period.
November - Damn I'm pumped for you.

" So - would you cut a big hole in the roof of this pristine 30 yo classic to accomplish the task? Would you be able to sleep at night knowing what you have just done!!! "

That depends.

If I was going to otherwise keep the car “mint” and was operating under the assumption that its value to me and others hinged on its originality, then no, I probably wouldn’t. I’d keep all mods “bolt-on, bolt-off” so the car could be returned to its original state if desired in the future.

OTOH, If I was going to take it on an extended tour of less developed countries, where I would likely cause sufficient wear and tear to render it no longer “mint”, and having a pop top better suited my travel style (I.e. I wanted to camp IN the car, rather than OUT OF it), I’d probably consider it. In that case, losing the “mintiness” of the car is just an expense of the journey.

I faced the same dilemma with my Troopy. Two owner, garaged from new, no rust, and only 55k miles from new. Should I hack a pop top onto it? I decided against it in this case. I would have felt like a vandal. But a troopy has much more interior space than an 80. I can camp inside if the weather gets bad, no problem. An 80 might get pretty claustrophobic quickly.

Last edited:
Gilmor - THX for the post - At one point I thought of buying a Troopy and not do the pop-up - but for a plethora of reasons I will be going for the 80.
This will be an extended trip and purpose bought to do the tougher roads with a lot less drama. So your right - it will not be as beautiful when I return, so take the hit now... I guess!

Don’t let a damn hunk of metal hold you back from living life. Same way I’m not saving my wife for the next guy! Make it yours and do what works best for you!

Cut it and be done with it. @secretasiansam said why get a campteq and not cut it. When we made the decision, spending the money on it was more nerve racking then having Eric cut the hole. Tim and Kelsey have over 60K miles with their top glued on and have driven through all sorts of conditions so I'm not worried about it coming off. Sikaflex is good for 10 years too.

FJRanger - All good points - I already know it is a great product and know the install is bombproof and that it will get the job done for my intended purpose.
I just cringed cutting a hole in the rig I'm about to buy. If I were to get a CT - a hole will be cut - without a doubt - hence my inquiry!

Having read the much-appreciated input here and elsewhere - I am pretty much there.

I get it. There was a little apprehensiveness here as well. However, we've had our 80 for a while and everything done has had considerable thought applied to the changes made. Being able to stand up inside the rig is a huge, like going to a frig from cooler huge just with a much bigger price tag :hillbilly:

FJR - I've got a self-built Transit van that I've slept in for 15 months in the last 3 years. (Canada & USA). So I know intimately how nice it is to be able to stand up inside when your doing stuff. I figured in the 80 I'll not be inside as much - but enough to shudder each time I think of doing the inside things day in day out sitting down - kind of sad actually and not much fun-;) & we are all trying to have a bit more fun, aren't we?

As it happened the deal for the mint manual 81 that I was looking at fell through. There is a stock mall crawling local 81 that just came up. It is a little rougher around the edges body wise - but it does not bother me and way less upfront cost.

So- I will be calling Campteq. THX for all the input.

If it bothers you enough to think this hard about it, how about installing the Campteq without cutting the roof? Others have done that.

Edit: after reading further I see this has been mentioned already.

If it bothers you enough to think this hard about it, how about installing the Campteq without cutting the roof? Others have done that.

Edit: after reading further I see this has been mentioned already.

I left the roof intact to retain the truck's versatility and to keep the sleeping space bug and dust-free, separate from the cabin. Ultimately, this choice of course depends on one's needs. Even with a roof uncut, the Campteq's load capacity (for hauling boats and as a two-shooter photography platform), its form-fit fastening, its low height, and its sound insulation (quieter than without) distinguish it from a hard-shelled roof top tent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom