Master thread: Buying, PM & Advance Maintenance of 100 & 200 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I left toyota after 12 years as a MDT in December of last year, and can confirm that simple maintenance and repairs is becoming more and more difficult due to engineering.

Just wait until you have do a "simple" repair like valve cover gaskets.
Seems the engineers no longer are required to work on their creations.

Great thread! Thanks for this!
I don't know how great it is, but thank you so much for saying so!

Remember to keep checking back in post #1 as I'm changing/updating all the time.

Many thanks!

You are all welcome. I keep adding in OP as I create new threads, find old post or I feel relevant. If anyone has ideas to improve or make easier to find stuff please speak up.

This post is my go-to, amigo. Honestly I find the idea of restoring land cruisers quite intriguing and I always look forward to doing repairs on my own 100 series. It's a 2006 LX470 that I got when it had 101k. It now has 129k, so I'm slowly replacing parts and doing my own little restoration as it needs(and when funds are available).

I look forward to the day I'm in the place to buy a well used 100 series and start a hobby restoration of my own. You make it look easy! I appreciate you putting in the extra time to well-document all your repairs and mods.

@2001LC thank you for all that you do sharing your knowledge. I've finally worked up the confidence to do some work on my truck once the weather warms up and i have some free time thanks to your posts.

I've searched your name and "torque wrench" on here and nothing specific came up, so i was curious what brand(s) you use for torque wrenches? Or more importantly, how do you personally know what you have is accurate (enough) to do all the work you do? Thanks

Your welcome.

I've used many different brands over the years. Currently I'm using harbor freight 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" & 3/4". I try to stay in mid to upper ranges of the wrenches, which seem more reliable. The HF are cumbersome to use, but they get the job done.
You can google ways tools to calibration. Here's one:
Cheapo calibration

Here's a video test of HF newer high end brand ICON line against Snap-on. Can you guess which was more accurate?

Your welcome.

I've used many different brands over the years. Currently I'm using harbor freight 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" & 3/4". I try to stay in mid to upper ranges of the wrenches, which seem more reliable. The HF are cumbersome to use, but they get the job done.
You can google ways tools to calibration. Here's one:
Cheapo calibration

Here's a video test of HF newer high end brand ICON line against Snap-on. Can you guess which was more accurate?

Thank you for responding I appreciate your advice. I was hoping you were going to say HF because that's what i was leaning towards. I have a HF 3/8" and i'll pick up a 1/4" for sure. Hard to beat for $12 plus a $10 luggage scale. That icon from HF is a tempting option for a 1/2" seeing that it would get the most use between my vehicles it may be worth it for the piece of mind.

@2001LC , I've performed a number of maintenance items and repairs to my 2001 LX470 and always search the Mud forums for help. I think you contributed in some fashion to probably every single maintanence/repair I've done and in many cases had the key information/procedure to follow. Thanks for sharing your wealth of information!

@2001LC , I've performed a number of maintenance items and repairs to my 2001 LX470 and always search the Mud forums for help. I think you contributed in some fashion to probably every single maintanence/repair I've done and in many cases had the key information/procedure to follow. Thanks for sharing your wealth of information!
You're welcome.

My hobby has become more of a business. I've been working on many local 100 and few 200 series for others. I see so many issue caused by improper maintenance. Many I've never posted. One rig in particular not posted, because client is take the shop that really messed him up to court. Afterward I'll post that simple service, that caused $7k in repairs, needed, before drivable again. Many things I've just not had time to post.

I spend ~5 hours a day minium now, on mud. Helping where I can and answering PM.
As service work slows this winter. I've got a very import brake and P0430 & P0420 write up, that I'd like to get out there. I think we can save our community a lot when I do these reveals. Some good stuff I've found, but, yet to put in one place.

Unfortunately my OP here is maxed out. I must delete to add more links currently.

Last edited:
You're welcome.

My hobby has become more of a business. I've been working on many local 100 and few 200 series for others. I see so many issue caused by improper maintenance. Many I've never posted. One rig in particular not posted, because client is take the shop that really messed him up to court. Afterward I'll post that simple service, that caused $7k in repairs, needed, before drivable again. Many things I've just not had time to post.

I spend ~5 hours a day minium now, on mud. Helping where I can and answering PM.
As service work slows this winter. I've got a very import brake and P0430 & P0420 write up, that I'd like to get out there. I think we can save our community a lot when I do these reveals. Some good stuff I've found, but, yet to put in one place.

Unfortunately my OP here is maxed out. I must delete to add more links currently.

Hey Paul, I'd contact a moderator on the storage space issue or on getting a sub-forum or sticky for writeups.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom