1HDT Timing belt error. TDC vs BDC. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During a water pump change on my 1HDT, I accidentally set the camshaft and injector pump marks to TDC, not BDC without initially realizing this. As I was cleaning things up to begin the reassembly, I noticed that the TDC timing mark on the crankshaft did not match the timing mark on the timing cover. The crankshaft mark was a little to the right (clockwise) of the timing cover mark. Without giving it enough though... I turned the crankshaft counter-clockwise so the crankshaft mark and timing cover marks aligned. The mark was only 3-4mm off. This is the only thing that I moved after removing the timing belt. Nothing else was moved, nothing was rotated. At this point, the front part of the brain kicked on and I knew something wasn't right. That's what I get for not being able to sleep and working on my truck at 2:30 in the morning... I reviewed the FSM and that is when I realized the I had the set the camshaft and injector pump to TDC and not BDC. I had marked the old timing belt before I removed it and everything still lines up on the camshaft and injector pump wheels. I am concerned that I rotated the crankshaft 3-4mm counterclockwise and how this could impact the alignment of everything.

My question is this: What do I do now? I don't know where I am with things and don't know how to back out, reset or sort things. Am I okay with all three set to TDC? Can I just put a new timing belt on and go? Just want to make sure I don't make a catastrophic and expensive mistake... I would like to hear from people who know exactly what's going on, have been here, done this and can tell me exactly what I need to do to sort this. I am really sleep deprived and not firing on all 12 cylinders. Normally I don't mind thoughts, opinions, etc but I would like to keep it simple and to the point. Thanks in advance for the understanding and assistance.

Yes, if you are just doing the timing belt it does not matter where the engine is set at as long as it does not move from that position. BDC is important if you do other things like camshafts, etc. TDC works just as well as it allows you to confirm all three pulleys remained at the position you left them before taking of the belt.

Yes, if you are just doing the timing belt it does not matter where the engine is set at as long as it does not move from that position. BDC is important if you do other things like camshafts, etc. TDC works just as well as it allows you to confirm all three pulleys remained at the position you left them before taking of the belt.
Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom