Tie Rod/Arm Clearance Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Delta looks like a solid solution but is uncheap just to make a some clunking go away! Are the arms compromised in any way by taking some chunks out?
It appears that you have very significant wear on the tie rod and which would require mucho grinding on the arms to obtain the necessary clearance. The delta arms correct castor properly and leave lots of the rod clearance not to mention they come with new oem rubber bushings if you spec them that way. This solution kills three birds with one stone.

Last edited:
This solution kills three birds with one stone.
As I go through this more and more, I can't agree more- I've had them in cart all day now. I've already got a new tie rod en route, so I need to address bushings, plates, etc to not damage the new piece. I'm just vetting all possibilities prior with you all in case it turns up to be something else that I've not seen/reviewed property

Last edited:
Compiling/comparing lift and caster data our preferred method of measuring is detailed in first post of this thread, and there is a link to user submitted caster data spreadsheet to compare your findings.

I bought and installed the Delta arms a few weeks ago and couldn't be more impressed. It was a super easy install and changed the driving characteristics significantly. My 80 used to wander quite a bit, you definitely had to pay attention to stay between the lines. The caster correction arms completely fixed that. I had an alignment done prior and was at -0.7" of caster. I ordered the 2" arms based on my alignment numbers and Dave's recommendation. I've got a 2.5" OME lift and am running 315/75r16 tires FWIW.

Last edited:
Compiling/comparing lift and caster data our preferred method of measuring is detailed in first post of this thread, and there is a link to user submitted caster data spreadsheet to compare your findings.
I never did ask you; how do you use this method of estimating amount of lift? I don’t think the front track bar was perfectly level with stock suspension.

I never did ask you; how do you use this method of estimating amount of lift? I don’t think the front track bar was perfectly level with stock suspension.

Stock differences appear to range from .75- 1.125 from what I see in the chart.

Don't use it yet, not enough data. The hope is that eventually there will be enough data to say something along the lines of "you have 3.75" of difference, that means if you go to an alignment shop they will most likely tell you you have -0.1* of caster". Probably a long ways off though.

In our shop, almost every rig that has come in with a stock suspension has between .75-1.25" of difference in panhards. So we figure whatever the measurement, minus 1", gets you pretty close, at least for the rear. Front is super wonky though, since any existing caster correction throws that all off. Someday, someone (maybe us, maybe somebody else) will be able to extract that kind of conclusion from this data set, IF PEOPLE FILL IT OUT. It takes time and money to get the proper data though (paying for alignment checks, etc), so it's probably going to be a while.

Welp....😁
PXL_20201105_172732731.jpg

Paired the radius arms with a new Marlin steering upgrade since my old ones were shaved flat at the arm contact point. Thicker rods but still plenty of clearance!
PXL_20201110_191637971.jpg

PXL_20201110_191705742.jpg

I set the alignment as best I could but I'm still off and wouldn't hurt to get it done by the pros.

Once you get it aligned, you will be amazed at the difference on the highway. Also look at their panhard bracket, those two items transformed my rig. Driving the mountains and grades are soooo much nicer. Delta makes some darn right good stuff!

Paired the radius arms with a new Marlin steering upgrade since my old ones were shaved flat at the arm contact point. Thicker rods but still plenty of clearance!
View attachment 2491620
View attachment 2491621

I set the alignment as best I could but I'm still off and wouldn't hurt to get it done by the pros.
Hello Halfpint, So you stayed at 3" lift and went with the Delta 4" drop arms correct? IM planning on going this rout and was wondering how it turned out.

Hello Halfpint, So you stayed at 3" lift and went with the Delta 4" drop arms correct? IM planning on going this rout and was wondering how it turned out.
Yes - DVS 4" arms... resulted in great clearance! That '94LC drove like a champ once aligned.

Has anyone done a Y link and the Delta VS radius arms?

The Y link would have cured the OP issues of the radius arms and drag link rubbing.

So what is the desired clearance between the radius arm and the steering arm? Mines are barely rubbing but still ain’t right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom