Update on my '79 FJ40 project, a little change to the plan. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this rough (but complete) '79 FJ40 a two months a go for $3000, and the plan was to restore the body and put a 5.3 and auto in it, since then I have changed the plan to swapping in a LS1 5.7 and a H55F with split case.
H55F.jpg

I have found the transmission/transfer case for sale locally for $550 so I jumped on it. It came out of a '86 FJ60 (here we got 5 speed on FJ60s starting from '84 and on), its a bit rusty from the outside but it feels good when shifting, I ordered a rebuild kit for the combo and will go through them thoroughly.

Right now I have the body off the chassis and sent the body to a body shop to fix all the rust spots and get it primed and sprayed.

chassis.jpg

I ordered most of the needed parts except for the rear brakes, since I went with a split case, I need to have a rear disc brake conversion with a parking brake on the rear axles, I have searched all over the web and couldn't find any readily available kits, what are my options with that? .. and please don;t try to get me out of disc brakes to stock drums, I already made my mind to have discs on all four wheels, its a must.

I'll keep updating this post as I progress with this fun project.

you could find and install a split case park brake. the transfer would need to be dis assembled to change the output shaft but it acts the same as the park brake on the transfer that was in it originally.
cruiserbrothers had the setup available.

the shifter will be in the wrong spot for the 40 with the 60 top plate.

That's an awesome find for a H55!

Look at this for sale near me......this should put a smile on your face: https://offerup.com/item/detail/991935806/

Wow. $5,000 for a used H55F/transfer case from either a 60 or 70 series. Set up for a vacuum shift and missing the 4WD vacuum actuator.

This what was used on an FJ40.
IMG_20200218_161337580.jpg
IMG_2799.JPG
IMG_20200219_141020196.jpg

There is also crossmember/L brackets and transmission hump/inspection cover need to deal with.

Wow. $5,000 for a used H55F/transfer case from either a 60 or 70 series. Set up for a vacuum shift and missing the 4WD vacuum actuator.

also says it came from a BJ60 so it is the wrong input shaft for an F application. I can't see the pic now.

also says it came from a BJ60 so it is the wrong input shaft for an F application. I can't see the pic now.

I looked at the ad and missed that. But the picture shows a F/H engine input. :hmm: The H55F in my picture is from a BJ42 so came with the wrong shaft. But also got the correct transfer case shifter and skid plate both harder to find than the 40 series top cover. Also get the crossmember, inspection cover, boots and driveshafts. Even with getting it shipped from Australia was less than half the cost of this one. Can buy a new H55F and rebuilt transfer case for that kind of money. I would suggest on any project on a 40 series do your homework first. It's all the little items you need besides the main ones that are no longer nickel and dime items.

I believe Stealth Conversions still makes the 40 pulse VSS your LS engine will need, it bolts onto the back of the split case , check it out. While your at it, go to the Downey Off Road link here on Mud and print out a set of the Downey V8 installation instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom